Virute m901 w/ B&W N803 speakers

henrylr

Virute m901 w/ B&W N803 speakers
« on: 23 Mar 2016, 09:10 pm »
Anyone try the M901 with B&W N803? Another big question is why are so many for sale? There must be some dissatisfied owners...or is it something else driving the large number for sale?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt

jseipp

Re: Virute m901 w/ B&W N803 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2016, 03:53 am »
I don't have direct experience with the M901, just jumping in as this tends to be a quiet board.  I have a ONE.3, and it's a little workhorse for a daily dose of nightly music or Netflix. 

I think the price and performance of the M901 made it a great entry-level amp, or a great step up from entry level, when it was released.  Its relative age simply means that a lot more amps have come on the market since and many owners are probably feeling the itch to step up or over into something different.  Some may be liquidating systems for various reasons.  I seriously doubt seeing M901s for sale means that the owners are dissatisfied.

Hopefully some M901 owners will chime in.  It's just my theory that owners of Virtue amps tend to do more listening than surfing the boards. :)   

bardamu

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:31 pm »
Hello,
I have two virtue m901 amps. One with a speaker that is ok to keep under control. One i want to use with high efficiency speakers but some how my tube amps from 1961 give a much more pleasing sound.
Why they come up for sale? Probably because nothing new is happening on the Virtue site so some people wanna switch to another brand before Virtue will become history. That is the way they feel it.
I might switch to a Pass amplifier. Dont need to many parts. You will end up with high electricty bills .
greetings, Edward

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2016, 01:49 pm »
Henry
I remember someone that was using the 901 with a fairly large set of B&W's but can't remember which ones.
Here's the facts, the amp makes 50wpc into 8 ohms and about 90 into 4 ohms. For some people that's just not enough power. I'm not sure why people are selling them because it's a giant killer (yes I'm a bit biased) and is very hard to beat for the $ I say very hard because it's subjective to the listeners tastes. I've seen them used going for $450 with the 130watt power supply and to me it's an unbeatable amp for that type of cash.
The forum has been slow as has been the production of our new stuff due to the typical hurdles found in this business.
I'll email Seth to reply here. You can email me directly if your like.
Cablesatvirtueaudiodotcom sorry for the spelling but spammers can find my email and send me a ton of crap I don't want.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2016, 05:53 pm »
There is a Sensation for sale at the Trading Post.

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2016, 05:54 pm »
Anyone try the M901 with B&W N803? Another big question is why are so many for sale? There must be some dissatisfied owners...or is it something else driving the large number for sale?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt

I don't see where 'there are many for sale" as you say. I see one here on the Trading post.