Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF- the ultimate guide to awesomeness 2013

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
He is.... :thumb:

See what happens when you fall into the "Chopped Liver" list....no Lonewolf posing with speaker pics....no NY Rave 2010-2013 CDs... :P

blutto

I hate to disagree, I think 99% of us agree that P and T do the best RMAF report year in year out, partly because they give a report, or rather an opinion. They say what and why they like a room and how it compares with others.

What interests me is other attendees opinion on those given by Pez and Tyson, where they think they may be wrong, what great rooms they may have missed etc.

As for superior High End rooms, dealers, I hate it when I am assessed as I walk in, my wallet is secretly weighed and found wanting, then I am ignored. You really do get some mind numbingly arrogant, dismissive people, under theses circumstances. It really makes it hard to give their system a fair audition.

....hmmm....great rooms that were missed?....well off the top of my head there were the Harbeth and SoundLab rooms which are always magic meccas of music....and then there were the two High Water rooms which were in the words of many folks who saw parts of the show that T/P didn't visit ( yet saw enough of the T/P list to have some cross references ) simply the best at show....kinda ironic that something off "The Chopped Liver" list may well have snuck past the official party line and been bestest...

....and btw I do realize that it has for decades been very fashionable and a veritable badge of honour in some parts to trash Wilson but their big room this year was very very good...

....all that being said really appreciate the great effort that T/P put into their show report...it truly is a work of love and I look forward to it each year....but to draw a Best of from a very edited list of rooms is not really fair to all the great rooms that for whatever reason weren't lucky enough to make it to the T/P list...

Cheers
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2013, 07:00 pm by blutto »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Valid points blutto (similar to what others have said earlier in the thread).  It's not fair.  But in the case of RMAF, it's impossible to be fair in the sense that you mean.  And like my daddy always told me "Son, who ever told you life was fair?"

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
....hmmm....great rooms that were missed....

but to draw a Best of from a very edited list of rooms is not really fair to all the great rooms that for whatever reason weren't lucky enough to make it to the T/P list...

I have never seen any coverage that went into every room, not from the Big guys nor small.  I've never seen it, and probably never will.  It's pointless to even bring up fairness ... fairness has nothing to do with it, reality does. 

Tyson

I also think people are taking this FAR too seriously.  Me and Jason are just a couple of imperfect guys with definite biases in our listening preferences, which overlap a bit, but not entirely.  Part of the reason we write in such an irreverent manner is to undercut our own "authority" so that people don't take us so seriously.  Maybe we should put in a disclaimer on every one of our posts (modded from South Park):

All opinions and pronouncements in this show coverage --even those based on real facts-- are entirely fictional. All sound quality descriptions are captured ... poorly. The following report contains coarse language and due to its content it should not be read by anyone.  Thank you, T&P

dflee

So, is there a topic out there labeled Blutto's Best of RMAF so others like him can nit pick.
Seriously everyone who attended could start their own topic on the best of and I'd read it
just like I have this one. It is great to have someone  (intelligent hopefully) write about their
adventure. I wish I could have gone so that I could join in on the fun of commenting on my
opinion of the rooms but alas I must depend on the two intellectuals who put this thing together.

Don

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
I also think people are taking this FAR too seriously. 

^^^^^
This. Oh, good God in Heaven, this...

D.D.

rascal

....all that being said really appreciate the great effort that T/P put into their show report...it truly is a work of love and I look forward to it each year....but to draw a Best of from a very edited list of rooms is not really fair to all the great rooms that for whatever reason weren't lucky enough to make it to the T/P list...

Cheers

Well said- for me T&P RMAF coverage was best of AC sponsor coverage. Nothing wrong with that but I laugh when I read it was best coverage -shows fanboys will remain fanboys :evil: For such a large event I think you have to collect and read coverage from here, Stereophile, Enjoy the Musc etc. since no one covers everything..nothing is perfect but definitive statements make me cringe  :nono:

T&P effort and open discussion of preferences/bias- makes them honest- something which I do not find too easily elsewhere.

Tyson

Agreed rascal.  Next year our title for this thread will be

"Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF - the ultimate guide to AudioCircle Vendor Awesomeness 2014!"

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
I also think people are taking this FAR too seriously.  Me and Jason are just a couple of imperfect guys with definite biases in our listening preferences, which overlap a bit, but not entirely.  Part of the reason we write in such an irreverent manner is to undercut our own "authority" so that people don't take us so seriously.  Maybe we should put in a disclaimer on every one of our posts (modded from South Park):

All opinions and pronouncements in this show coverage --even those based on real facts-- are entirely fictional. All sound quality descriptions are captured ... poorly. The following report contains coarse language and due to its content it should not be read by anyone.  Thank you, T&P

LOVE IT! This entire thread has been (and looks to continue for some time to be) very entertaining and informative. The only problem I have with it is I've spent too much time reading it and have neglected some charts I need to do for a gig this evening.

macrojack

• Restricted
What T&P do is mostly just their fun. I detect no agenda and I see no reason for anyone to demand accountability or to question their approach. Attending and reporting on RMAF is not a closed option. Anyone who thinks they can do better is free to make an attempt.

But ------- these guys are well appreciated because of the infusion of humor and excitement that they bring. Since all of these evaluations and pronouncements are based on subjective preference, there is really nothing to challenge. How can they be wrong about what they like best? How can anyone think that?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
What T&P do is mostly just their fun. I detect no agenda and I see no reason for anyone to demand accountability or to question their approach. Attending and reporting on RMAF is not a closed option. Anyone who thinks they can do better is free to make an attempt.

But ------- these guys are well appreciated because of the infusion of humor and excitement that they bring. Since all of these evaluations and pronouncements are based on subjective preference, there is really nothing to challenge. How can they be wrong about what they like best? How can anyone think that?

+1. Thank you sir. :notworthy:

Best,
Anand.

sebrof

As for superior High End rooms, dealers, I hate it when I am assessed as I walk in, my wallet is secretly weighed and found wanting, then I am ignored. You really do get some mind numbingly arrogant, dismissive people, under theses circumstances. It really makes it hard to give their system a fair audition.
I'm not sure I understand this.
I've been in a whole lot of rooms that I don't want to afford, and considering that I DIY much of my stuff that's just about every room. But I act like I'm there to enjoy what they have to offer, not like I'm being judged. Almost always the exhibitor seems to appreciate my interest even though it may be clear that I have no intention of buying anything. If he doesn't want to engage me then I could care less, that's his problem.

If you act like you don't belong, you'll probably feel like you're being treated like you don't belong. Then it may seem like people are arrogant.

OzarkTom

Everyone should go to RMAF at least once in your life. You will then appreciate P&T's reviews and comments a whole lot more. There is way too many rooms to visit and review in the short thee days the way P&T covers it. Pez and Tyson was the best.

trackball02

Well stated macrojack.
T&P, you guys rock. I really admire your effort passion and sharp witted humor. It is not easy. Do you have any evil twins or clones so that you can cover more rooms next year? More please!

blutto

So, is there a topic out there labeled Blutto's Best of RMAF so others like him can nit pick.
Seriously everyone who attended could start their own topic on the best of and I'd read it
just like I have this one. It is great to have someone  (intelligent hopefully) write about their
adventure. I wish I could have gone so that I could join in on the fun of commenting on my
opinion of the rooms but alas I must depend on the two intellectuals who put this thing together.

Don

....sadly its not a topic but just a simple solitary post because as much as anything an absolutely great job was done in this field by T/P though I do reserve the right to have an opinion based on what I believe ( and express it on a forum dedicated to the discussion of things audio)....and nit-picking?....nah .....just trying to put things into a more realistic perspective.....

Cheers

Saturn94

When I visited AJ's room he was playing his new 2 way standmounts, with powered 8" and external amp driving the planar, crazy good bass and nice staging and focused vocals. The towers were as good or better than at the 2013 CAF. The big boys were dynamically exciting, deep soundstage, plenty of impact, natural vocals, very detailed, fun to listen to, and a true bargain.

Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback. :)

I'd love to hear the towers someday.

blutto

I have never seen any coverage that went into every room, not from the Big guys nor small.  I've never seen it, and probably never will.  It's pointless to even bring up fairness ... fairness has nothing to do with it, reality does.

....so "fairness has nothing to do with it"?....so exactly what kind of light does that put your placing in the T/P Best of sweepstakes....because if I were ever to "win" something I would definitely like to have everyone see that "win" as fairly achieved....but then again that could just be a failing on my part...

Cheers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I learned that I liked every single system there and my case work is better then the Jeff Rowland stuff. 

Tyson

....so "fairness has nothing to do with it"?....so exactly what kind of light does that put your placing in the T/P Best of sweepstakes....because if I were ever to "win" something I would definitely like to have everyone see that "win" as fairly achieved....but then again that could just be a failing on my part...

Cheers

If you have suggestions on how we can be more fair, I'm certainly open to hearing them.