Hot tip for Tube rolling in the Candela

bunky

Re: Hot tip for Tube rolling in the Candela
« Reply #60 on: 5 Mar 2007, 01:38 am »
I just received a pair of JAN CBS Hytron 5814's WA - best military spec, circa 1955.  They sounded good, presentation was forward compared to my RCA 12Au7 blackplates (1950's) but they did not have the sweet tubed sound of the RCA's, decay was probably better than the RCA's although altogether not as musical.  The Hytrons were more stereo sounding as opposed to allowing the Lorelies to vanish characteristic of the RCA's.  Microdynamics with the RCA's are very good - acoustic guitar strings sound real, vocal timbres are beautiful soundstaging back to front and side to side is fleshed out better with the RCA's than any of the other tubes Ive tried (see below).  I do think that tube choice comes down to personal taste, room characteristics, type of music, and other components associated with the Candela. 

The order of my my personal favorites so far is:
1.  RCA blackplates 1950's - black backround with white RCA lettering $29.00 shipped off eBay
2.  1965/66 Hammond 12AU7 made by G.E. - Very close to the RCA blackplates, not quite as sweet sounding but a nice upgrade to the stock Tesla's.  (I have an extra set Ill sell for $20.00 shipped paypal add 3% - PM me if interested)
3.  1955 CBS Hytrons JAN5814WA
4.  Candela stock Tesla's
5.  New Tesla longplates

I'm sticking with the RCA's until I decide to fork out the dough for some European NOS......later.

The system sounds great!  :D

Martin

Odyssey Stratus Mono extremes, Candela, Lorelei's, Onkyo Integra 6 disc changer, Channel Islands VDA1 and VAC1, Gronenberg, DH labs and Signal Cable cabling.

After listening to Rosconey and allowing some time for the CBS Hytron tubes to burn in I have to stay I stand corrected.......

THE CBS HYTRON TUBES ARE AWESOME!!!!!
COMPLETE SYSTEM TRANSFORMATION!!!!
HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THIS SINCE I HAVE OWNED THE ODYSSEY SYSTEM
DETAIL IS INCREADIBLE
SOUNDSTAGE COMPLETELY BLOWN OUT COMPARED TO THE OTHER TUBES IVE TRIED
THESE PUT THE SYSTEM IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LEAGUE THAN BEFORE
HYTRONS GO TO NUMBER ONE ON THE LIST IMHO

GET SOME

ROSCONEY I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH

- MARTIN
Who sells them and how much do they cost  8)

martinr

« Reply #61 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:26 am »
This is the link from my purchase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170084400470&rd=1&rd=1

Walden Puddle on Ebay may have more of these new.

JAN CBS HYTRON 5814WA  1950's

Some other can probably give better advice than me on the WA lettering but from what I understand that means they are the highest grade made for the military, although 5814A's may be identical, Im not sure.

I think JAN stands for Joint Army Navy??

$46.00 shipped.

Get some

Martin

martinr

« Reply #62 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:28 am »
Correction JHY 5814WA

:thumb:

Martin

rosconey

« Reply #63 on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:55 am »
didnt i tell you guys awhile ago to avoid the cbs /hytrons
- but noooooooo you guys just ignore my advice and buy them anyway :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

next guy who buys  a pair will have some serious issues with me -the lack of respect shown by buying these tubes after i told you not too is enough to warrant a beotch slap upside the head  :duh:

if anyone has a pair of e80cc's they want tried out in a candella just send them my way-or you guys who didnt take my advice can buy me a pair :thumb:

martinr

« Reply #64 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:32 am »
Just bought two more Hytrons as backups

wa wa weee

Rob S.

« Reply #65 on: 8 Mar 2007, 02:24 am »
Funny Martinr,  mine came in the mail today,  same Walden Puddle is the ebay seller,  $47 for both w/shipping and insurance.   I'm off now to put them in.  Rosconey and martinr:  how much time till the sound gets ideal?

Rob S.

martinr

« Reply #66 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:21 am »
I don't want to steal Rosconey's thunder so Ill let him respond.......

:P
(about a day).

Rob S.

« Reply #67 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:26 pm »
Hi guys,   installed my new CBS/Hytron 5814WA's in the candela last night, and something is wrong.  Initially upon powering up, the left tube was lit up brighter than normal and the right tube wasn't showing any faint glow.   Sound wise the right channel was hazy, much softer and probably distorted.

So I switched channels for the tubes:  Now both look the normal level of soft red glow of my previous tubes but the sound problems have switched to the other speaker.

Next up, I put in my Mullard CV4003's and all is well.  Is is common for a tube to be faulty right out of the box?

Rob S.

martinr

« Reply #68 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:31 pm »
I would contact Walden - Puddle and see if he will swap out the bad tube with another one.

- Martin

rosconey

« Reply #69 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:39 pm »
one of the nos brimar's :cuss: i bought was bad out of the box-

bought a pair of e80cc's to try off agon

and my cbs/huytrons are better than yours-they were made 5/55 not 8/55 like the ones you bought aa

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 9 Mar 2007, 04:14 am »
Rob S.

I hate to tell you but you got a bad tube!  It appears (big glow as described) that you had a filament very weak that took most of the load (filament) of both tubes, reason for the other one to barely turn on and consequently giving you the distortion you mentioned, as the tubes were not working (transconductance) properly! It failed but did not short...if it was shorted out (most likely filament to cathode), you would had an immediate blown fuse, not to mention also some ugly smell!

That is the nature of tubes...if the tube fails from inception, it will short or not work properly from the moment you turn it on....sometimes within a few minutes! Reason for making certain you and everyone else get tubes that are fully tested properly. Keep in mind that this does not happen very often as people may think.

All Candelas are burned in a minimum of 24-48  hours prior to shipment with the stock JJ ECC82/12AU7! I have not seen one fail yet!!!

Also make certain as you roll tubes (is it fun or what...), that the unit is off and so is the amp or amps ...or else  :cry:

Regards,

Alex

yo2tup

« Reply #71 on: 15 Mar 2007, 03:39 am »
i got curious about all the good things people were saying about the CBS/Hytron 5814WA, so I ordered a pair.  I haven't recieved them yet, but I just found out that my amp can't use these tubes  :duh: :duh:  i jumped the gun way too early.  If anyone wants them when I get them, send me a PM.

rosconey

« Reply #72 on: 23 Mar 2007, 09:00 pm »
e80cc's are running in my candela-
no comment on sound quality at this time

edited at aboot 9pm to read- nope dont waste your money-no majic  no life and no soul with narrow stage and bad depth,vocals were abot 3 feet wide-just not a good match-
stick with the cbs/hytrons and organ tubes for far far less-
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2007, 12:52 am by rosconey »

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #73 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:20 pm »
is there anyone who bought a pair of the cbs/hytron 5814 tubes and did not like them and would like to sell them? send me a pm.
marvin

Lkdog

« Reply #74 on: 7 Apr 2007, 01:25 am »
Marvda1-

This place still has some I think.
I got a pair to try in my Audio Mirror PP1.

They sound very nice in my setup and reasonably priced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CBS-HYTRON-5814-x2-MIL-SPEC-1955-BLK-PLT-TUBE-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ170096333813QQihZ007QQcategoryZ67816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

stearnsn

« Reply #75 on: 11 Apr 2007, 11:49 pm »
I purchased a pair of the CBS/Hytron 5814's and have them in my Candela (with a very light application of Walker SST).  I haven't had much time to listen but initial observations include a less "forward" presentation than the stock tubes and perhaps a bit wider soundstage.  My room is only 15 ft deep so getting the stage off "my lap" is a nice plus so far.

I also orders some NOS RCA Cleartops and some New Slovak's (JJ/Tesla ECC802) for comparison.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2007, 12:03 am by stearnsn »

TomS

« Reply #76 on: 11 Apr 2007, 11:52 pm »
I purchased a pair of the CBS/Hytron 5814's and have them in my Candela (with a very light application of Walker SST).  I haven't had much time to listen but initial observations include a less "forward" presentation than the stock tubes and perhaps a bit wider soundstage.  My room is only 15 ft deep so getting the stage off "my lap" is a nice plus so far.

I also orders some NOS RCA Cleartops and some New Slovak's for comparison.
I bought a pair of the CBS Hytron 5814's today off ebay too.  Now all I need is for the Candela to arrive and let the rollin' begin :wink:  Tom

stearnsn

« Reply #77 on: 12 Apr 2007, 01:15 am »
Listened for an hour or so tonight.  The CBS Hytron's are really an improvement over the stock tubes.  Vocals more real, cymbal decay is the best I've heard in my system and bass is fast and tight.  Drums overall are awesome.  Soundstage is wide and deep.  This is the best my rig has ever sounded.   My wife even came in from the other room and sat down to listen.

I have some new Tessla longplates and some ARI tube dampers that I want to try but am in no hurry to change anything right now.

Lkdog

« Reply #78 on: 12 Apr 2007, 04:23 am »

I also orders some NOS RCA Cleartops and some New Slovak's (JJ/Tesla ECC802) for comparison.

I just ordered some RCA Cleartops also from Brent Jessee to try out his week. Will be interesting to see how they compare in my setup.
Without a doubt the CBS/Hytron tubes are a nice sounding in all ways without any real weakness to my ears.
Considering their price-a great value compared to many well regarded NOS tubes.

stearnsn

« Reply #79 on: 12 Apr 2007, 03:16 pm »
I tried out the JJ/Tessla's last night.  They sound nice but pail in comparison to the CBS Hytrons, considering the price difference they are still a good value.  Not nearly as lively or textured with a smaller soundstage.

I also installed two pair of ARI tube dampers on the CBS's and I'm not sure yet if I like them.  There is more bass and an overall more "controlled" sound.  I want to listen some more before making any judgements.