Loreleis have arrived

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #80 on: 10 Oct 2005, 10:54 pm »
Why does it take so long to get the cones?  Are they being machined out of the country and are they only made to order?

marvin

bunky

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #81 on: 10 Oct 2005, 11:11 pm »
Quote from: marvda1
Why does it take so long to get the cones?  Are they being machined out of the country and are they only made to order?

marvin
the cones dont ship with the Speakers and when i reminded Klaus he shipped them to me promptly. in fact the Audio Selection cones are from Germany and  they are very well made. Sonny remind Klaus about the cones!

klaus@odyssey

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #82 on: 11 Oct 2005, 02:53 pm »
Cones are an absolute must,  and yep,  they're coming from Germany.  It's not a biggie as having enough in stock.  they're not that expensive,  I just have to learn how to count and then there won't be a supply problem anymore.

Klaus

bunky

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #83 on: 11 Oct 2005, 11:13 pm »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
Cones are an absolute must,  and yep,  they're coming from Germany.  It's not a biggie as having enough in stock.  they're not that expensive,  I just have to learn how to count and then there won't be a supply problem anymore.

Klaus
i noticed a big difference from before and after installing the Audio Selection cones. Hey Sonny, i am still playing the Wagner cd and i cant seem to get over the fact that complex orchestral classical music sounds so wonderful with a pair of two way loudspeakers. remarkable!  great German music sounds oh! so sweet on my German engineered two channel rig!....thanks....WCW III

Sonny

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #84 on: 11 Oct 2005, 11:46 pm »
Bunky and Klaus,
All I can say is that I am awaiting the spikes, and then I'll make my decision on which speaker to keep.  You know, its good to have speakers side by side when determining which one is right, right?
I'll let you know more!
S

peter59

loreleis have arrived
« Reply #85 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:12 pm »
Bunky,

Have you had a chance to do any serious listening to the loreleis. You must have sufficient hours on them to give your impressions. Very curious how the highs,(brass, cymbals), midrange (especially piano and female vocals are sounding and of course the bass. I am scheduled to receive my pair this week. By the way my extreme monos have been showing greater detail and soundstage is getting wider, I am constantly amazed how everytime I play the same reference cd it sounds better and better....

bunky

Re: loreleis have arrived
« Reply #86 on: 26 Oct 2005, 12:27 am »
Quote from: peter59
Bunky,

Have you had a chance to do any serious listening to the loreleis. You must have sufficient hours on them to give your impressions. Very curious how the highs,(brass, cymbals), midrange (especially piano and female vocals are sounding and of course the bass. I am scheduled to receive my pair this week. By the way my extreme monos have been showing greater detail and soundstage is getting wider, I am constantly amazed how everytime I play the same reference cd it sounds better and better....
Hey peter59, i am very pleased with the Loreleis, they do everything extremely well. they took a while for the crossovers to fully break in. the Scanspeak drivers are world class and the sound eminating from these speakers reflects that,the tweeters are crisp and clear without a hint of brightness and the midrange is well defined and coherent and the bass is tight and focused without ever being muddy or soggy and it is almost hard to fathom coming from a 6.8" midbass driver. the secret is the massive Symphonic Line crossover. remember that these are virtualy identicle to the $7000 per pair Symphonic Line Legato loudspeaker. the mono extremes take a long time to show thier true charactor and the crazy thing is that they sound good right out of the box but they keep getting better day after day and after about two months or so they are fully matured. the extreme monos are really great amplifiers and worth every penny for the upgrade, dont you think so ? thanks....WCW III

peter59

loreleis have arrived
« Reply #87 on: 26 Oct 2005, 12:52 am »
Bunky,

I agree I am extremely satisfied with these amps. I am finally able to see the light for my new loreleis arriving.

Sonny

Cones...
« Reply #88 on: 27 Oct 2005, 03:28 pm »
Finally got the cones last night...
I will install them this weekend and give you guy a full report between the Lorelei's and the Herons...
S

bunky

Re: Cones...
« Reply #89 on: 27 Oct 2005, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: Sonny
I will install them this weekend and give you guy a full report between the Lorelei's and the Herons...
S
did you get the brass ones ? they are easy to install and will tighten up the sound nicely. thanks....WCW III

Sonny

« Reply #90 on: 27 Oct 2005, 08:24 pm »
Quote from: bunky
S
did you get the brass ones ? they are easy to install and will tighten up the sound nicely. thanks....WCW III

Bunky, don't know if they are brass, but its black with a chrome tip that screws on / off.

They are supposed to stick on to the speaker...

That's all I know.

Did you get deeper bass with the cones, or just tighter bass?

bunky

« Reply #91 on: 27 Oct 2005, 08:32 pm »
S

Bunky, don't know if they are brass, but its black with a chrome tip that screws on / off.

They are supposed to stick on to the speaker...

That's all I know.

Did you get deeper bass with the cones, or just tighter bass?
both and i firmly believe that coupling a speaker to the floor whether it is a floorstander with spikes or a small monitor on spiked stands makes a big difference in the overall sound of the loudspeaker.

Sonny

« Reply #92 on: 27 Oct 2005, 08:36 pm »
both and i firmly believe that coupling a speaker to the floor whether it is a floorstander with spikes or a small monitor on spiked stands makes a big difference in the overall sound of the loudspeaker.

I am with you on that...so, lets see how they do in regards to bass as compared to the Herons...will there be enough bass???

bunky

« Reply #93 on: 27 Oct 2005, 10:57 pm »

I am with you on that...so, lets see how they do in regards to bass as compared to the Herons...will there be enough bass???
i sure dont feel the need for a subwoofer anytime soon, and as i said before it will strictly be a matter of preference as both are very fine loudspeakers. dont you think ? thanks....WCW III

jkm

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #94 on: 28 Oct 2005, 12:02 am »
FWIW, I put my speakers with (4) spikes up on horizontal cinder blocks. The sound dramatically tightened up right away. Mine are jmLabs, but am thinking about the Loreleis after my mono-blocks burn in.

bunky

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #95 on: 28 Oct 2005, 12:07 am »
Quote from: James K-M
FWIW, I put my speakers with (4) spikes up on horizontal cinder blocks. The sound dramatically tightened up right away. Mine are jmLabs, but am thinking about the Loreleis after my mono-blocks burn in.
so James, how do you like the monos so far, they are the extremes right ? in hunter green ?

jkm

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #96 on: 28 Oct 2005, 04:37 am »
Quote from: James K-M
so James, how do you like the monos so far, they are the extremes right ? in hunter green ?

Bunky,

Yes, they are the extremes and in many ways they sound really great but still have a long way to go after 24 days. Already though I'm in a different realm of sound from the Stratos Stereo. At least I finally have them but without the Hunter Green faceplates for now. Klaus provided some dented faceplates until the green ones are ready which should be this week. I'm also waiting for a remote and black cones. I've ordered 2 pairs of Premium ICs too.

Thanks for asking,

James

Sonny

« Reply #97 on: 28 Oct 2005, 04:07 pm »
I am with you on that...so, lets see how they do in regards to bass as compared to the Herons...will there be enough bass???[/quote]i sure dont feel the need for a subwoofer anytime soon, and as i said before it will strictly be a matter of preference as both are very fine loudspeakers. dont you think ? thanks....WCW III[/quote]

Bunky, of course they are fine speakers, both of them...same philosophy behind speaker building...the Loreleis are like the Shearwaters...I believe, as I owned a pair prior to the Herons...

I will be installing the cones this weekend and having fun...Can just imagine it now, Sunday full of music and football on the tube, in HD even.  Of course, with no sound, just music.  

James, congrats on the Monos...I think Klaus has the best product out there in regards to Price/value, especially the Mono Extremes...

I've listened to many solid state and tubes from friends in the area/group, however, I can never wait to come home to listen to my system, no matter what the other systems costs, whether its Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, Musical Fidelity, McIntosh, VAC, Manley, Rogue, or whatever...

S

Sonny

Lorelei Listening
« Reply #98 on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:45 pm »
So, this weekend, I've attached the cones that Klaus provided me and starting listening... I will give you my overall impression with these speakers in regards to pros and cons:

Pros:  
Dynamic as hell!
Detailed
Airy
Fast
Articulate
Bass extension (for a two way system)
Intimacy
Beautiful finish
Quality Drivers
Room positioning

Cons:
Bass Extension for Orchestra Music
Low extension impact on Orchestra Music
May need a sub with Orchestra Music
Basically, I prefer the big sound, imaging, impact and pure Ummph of the Herons over the Loreleis on Classical Music.

Well, overall, the Loreleis are best I've heard in a two way speaker, more closely similar to the Meadowlark Shearwaters...but with more bass extension.  I love them, the Loreleis on all music, except for Classical music, which, to get the symphonic sound, you might want to add a sub.

Sonny

byteme

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #99 on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:57 pm »
Sonny,

Thanks for the update.  How do you have them positioned in the room again?  Are they toed in or firing straight ahead?