What pre are you using with your Odyssey amp(s)

Christof

« on: 2 Feb 2005, 11:53 pm »
A little informal poll to help future buyers

What preamp you are using with your Odyssey amps.  If you could please comment a little on your likes/dislikes.  Also have you tried any preamps previously which were a bad match with Odyssey gear?

Thanks
-c

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2005, 12:45 am »
Thus far I really really like tube preamps with the Stratos Stereo Extreme (soon to be mono extremes)

I currently have a deHavilland Ultraverve which I just love - wonderful sound, looks, construction, the whole magilla.  Killed the Philly, but should for this much more.

Prior to the I had a Philly Audio Blues 7b which was also very very good, especially given the really low price.

Tried an IRD Purist, didn't like it at all.  Also tried a Juicy Music Peach.  Not bad at all, but didn't do that much more than my Philly did for a LOT more money.

Had a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 which was pretty good.  Also had a bottlehead foreplay which also wasn't bad, except for the construction, but why mess with that when you can find a Philly!

Tubes are an awesome match for the Odyssey amps.

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2005, 01:16 am »
I have a Symphonic Line Die Erleuchtung tube preamp that I use with my Extreme Monos.  What can I say about the synergy between these components.  They're like strawberries and champagne, meant to be together.  I agree a tube preamp is the way to go, for me anyway.  The Erleuchtung pre is pure silk.  

I've used Tact, Bryson and Dodd preamps with the Monos but none work as well for me as the SL pre.

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2005, 02:43 am »
Odyssey Tempest. Only nit is no headphone output, and I wouldn't have cared except for recently changing listening habits/late nite listening and daughter trying to sleep. A plus for the Tempest is its very nice MC section, vinyl plays extremely well through the Tempest. I note a vinyl section upgrade is also available.

I saw the one post re: tubed preamp. I get tubes in my system via my CDP, and don't miss the tubes with the Tempest's vinyl playback.

Soundbitten

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2005, 03:28 am »
I use an Anthem 1 with the Stratos , sonically it's an upgrade over the previous Musical Fidelity XP-100 . Although tubed it is more dynamic and fuller. Drawback...no remote , Plus Side...nice headphone section and a mono button.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2005, 03:52 am »
I have had the Symphonic Line and the Tempest in my system and can certainly see why it is recomended.

I use a transformer based passive pre that does not impart any signature of it's own that I can tell.  It's an early version of the Bent Noh.

corwin99

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2005, 05:50 am »
I use three different preamps with my Stratos (soon to be extreme monos!!!)... a Modified Audio Experience Symphonies, which throws a really large soundstage and is very nice to listen to (especially after the mods)... a Bottlehead foreplay, which sounds nice and quite airy... its not very tubey sounding tho IMO... and I use a passive that i made, which also sounds excellent.

I am looking to upgrade to a remote controlled tube pre eventually.

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2005, 09:49 am »
tempest :mrgreen:

F-100

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2005, 05:28 pm »
I'm using 2 different preamps with my Extreme Mono (Tempest Extreme and Quicksilver Linestage).  My Tempest Extreme is still break-in so I can't make any comment for now.  The Quicksilver sound very nice but the hiss coming out of the speakers is driving me crazy. I like the warm and fluidity tube sound  so eventually I'm going to buy a nice tube preamp that doesn't hum or hiss. For now, I have my eye set on a Supratek Chardonnay but don't have enough fund to pull the trigger yet. This baby will be mine soon or later :)

robertwb

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2005, 03:23 am »
I use the little creek OBH-12 passive-not the best preamp in the world,but it's what I have-and it works pretty good considering what it is

jcoat007

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2005, 03:49 am »
I just recieved my Tempest Extreme a few days ago but have not put it in my system yet.  I have been using a Modwright 9.0 SWL for a couple of weeks.  Since I cannot comment on the Tempest at this point, I will not.  I should be able to post some impressions in the next couple of weeks as my travel schedule is hectic right now.  

The Modwright replaced a Sonic Frontiers Line-2 which replaced a Sonic Frontiers Line-1.  The Modwright works extremely well with my Mono Extremes.  It is so transparent that I think the performers are in the room with me.  It absolutley brings the performance into my room in a way that I have never experienced.  It is extremely musical and not analytical at all.  Bass is just slamming.  Not one note bass, but tuneful and very powerful bass.  Highs are shimmery and sparkly, but not etched or hard in any way.  This is an incredible piece of equipment.  Build quality is top notch.  

With my old pre-amp, I always felt like I was somehow pushing it as hard as it could go, and it was running out of steam.  With the Modwright it seems like it has total control and is barely working hard at all.

I am sure that the synergy with the Tempest and Mono Extremes will be great also.  I must say that my Tempest is built like a tank, looks great, and is much heavier than I expected.  I cannot wait to insert into the system.  

BTW - I am building two seperate systems, thus the need for two pre-amps.

Chris_B

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2005, 11:00 am »
My Modwright 9.0 SWL SE should arrive in the next few weeks and it will be matched with a pair of Odyssey monos and Lorelei speakers.  I look forward to reporting back and backing up jcoat007's impressions.

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2005, 11:35 am »
my red board is starting to open up real real nice-the new silver ic's i recieved this week work well also

KarlDL

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2005, 03:38 am »
Past:  Modded Acurus RL-11 > Stratos Plus, later Stereo Extreme

Current:  Tempest Plus > Mono Extreme

No significant difference between modded RL-11 and Tempest noted on SACD/CD.  Went to Tempest primarily for vinyl attributes, enhanced in "plus" version with Symphonic Line "topline" circuit board.   Spouse finds that Tempest has wider dimensional tolerance for remote than RL-11 did.

Future:  A Tempest mod for balanced output that enables fully balanced bridge configuration of the Stratos Extremes; a tube pre of my own design and balanced derivative thereof; perhaps a linestage adaptation of the Gilmore Dynalo DIY headphone amp.

bunky

« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2005, 01:32 am »
i am using an Odyssey Tempest with the remote control option and i also own an Anthem Pre 1L tube preamplifier with a matched and triode balanced Quad of JAN Philips 6922s that i like to play with also from time to time. thanks....WCW III

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:45 pm »
HOw about some updates from you other guys :?:

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2005, 05:42 pm »
I'm not using one at all and run my Odyssey mono extremes directly via my CD player.  This is inconvenient when I want to use other sources, but I get great sound using the XLR inputs of the amps.  (I'm aware they aren't true balanced inputs.)  Meanwhile, I can use the RCA output of the player to run my subwoofer.  Some disagree, but maybe the best preamp is no preamp at all.

bunky

« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2005, 07:16 pm »
Quote from: Randy
I'm not using one at all and run my Odyssey mono extremes directly via my CD player.  This is inconvenient when I want to use other sources, but I get great sound using the XLR inputs of the amps.  (I'm aware they aren't true balanced inputs.)  Meanwhile, I can use the RCA output of the player to run my subwoofer.  Some disagree, but maybe the best preamp is no preamp at all.
have you ever tried a passive or active preamp with your system to see which sounds better? thanks....WCW III

Randy

preamp
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2005, 09:48 pm »
Driving the amps via the CD player is much like using a passive preamp.  The usual knock is lack of dynamics and/or inadequate gain for both methods.  Right now neither is a real problem for me with the very efficient speakers I am using.  I had a passive preamp long ago, the ModSquad LineDrive (by McCormick), but got rid of it for the reasons stated above, though it was used with a system now long gone.  The Levinson CD player offers great control via the remote, with .1 db adjustments for volume and balance both.  At any rate, the pure sound I get without a preamp and an extra set of ics in the chain is what I prefer.  If I could find a truly transparent preamp without having to spend megabucks I'd probably go for it - for the added flexibility and the boost in dynamics you get with a preamp.  But a preamp should have no sound of its own, and I've never found one like that yet.

What say you guys with Tempests?  How transparent is it?

Randy

« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2005, 09:55 pm »
Forgot to add that yes, I have a preamp.  A BV Audio P-1 which was as close to being a "straight wire with gain" as I'd heard.  (Not that's a term you don't hear much any more.)  The BV had replaced a Conrad Johnson solid state preamp that Stereophile, for what it's worth, once rated in their Class A category.  The BV was far superior. However, a while back I dug out my ancient Superphon Basic preamp, the old timer with the dual volume control, just to try it out for fun.  Much to my surprise it sounded better than the BV, so I used that a while, but had to forgo my subwoofer since it has just one set of outputs.  Missing the subwoofer I went back to using the Levinson's direct output and was able to use the subwoofer with it.  The balance outputs go to the amps, the unbalanced go to the subwoofer.  It works great.