New Khartago something or other in the works for me!

Chops

I've been looking for a good upgrade to the Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro that I sold several months back, though no luck on finding anything worthy, at least not in my price range, even used.

As I was "Googling" around the internet about a week ago, I came across an article about Klaus and Odyssey Audio. After reading that article, I found another, then another, then another, etc, etc. I started reading reviews of various amps, a full system for under $6k, multiple CES shows where reviewers spoke with Klaus, and so on. I liked what I was reading about this guy and his products. I figured I'd shoot him an email and see what comes of it.

That was yesterday evening when I sent that email, oddly enough from clicking on his avatar here in the forum. Not expecting to hear from him until possibly the beginning of the week, I checked my email about an hour later and found an email from Klaus just 20 minutes after the one I sent him! WOW! In his reply, he asked me to give him a call, which I did today. We spoke for 30 minutes from beginning to end, including Klaus taking my order for what I was originally planning on just a plain jane base model Khartago.

Before I go any further, let me just say that anything and everything you have ever read about Klaus is all true. All of it! This man is incredible! He's eager to work with you, answer any questions you may have, no matter how rudimentary they may be, he's funny, exciting, SMART, and just a blast to deal with. Heck, come to find out, he's quite familiar with the town I live in as he was considering buying a house and moving here himself! He even mentioned a very well known, popular coffee house here in town that he checked out. All of this he remembered from I think seven or eight years ago! Pretty freakin' small world, wouldn't you say?!

Anyway, through our conversation, I was told a little story about the Khartago and how well it compared to another amp costing I think $140,000. That's just crazy! Being that I was talking to him on my cellphone, the signal around here kind of sucks, so there was some echo, dropouts and such, so I couldn't make out some of what was said, but I didn't want to be annoying either, asking him to repeat himself. I did a couple times when it came to the very important things about "my" amp though. In fact, right now I have my HP 3435A DMM plugged into the outlet to keep an eye on the line voltage so I can report back to Klaus in a few days with multiple readings. I know you all know what that's about. LOL

So when it was all said and done, and with the crappy cellphone signal, all I know is that I'm getting some kind of hotrod Khartago with upgraded PS, upgraded caps, upgraded wiring, upgraded board, upgraded case, upgraded input jacks, upgraded face plate, pretty much upgraded upgrades!  At the end I asked Klaus what exactly it was that I just ordered, and I think he replied something like a Khartago Stereo Extreme Plus Kismet Charles Limited Edition. Haha

Whatever this amp is, I know it's going to be amazing. The only stinker about the whole deal is the two to three week wait, but that's fine. I'm not in any huge hurry and I'm certainly not going anywhere. Actually, come to think of it, if that's the time frame, it should be here a few days before my vacation starts! Woo-Hoo! Can't go wrong with that!  :green: :green:

hotmailjbc

Re: New Khartago something or other in the works for me!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2014, 04:14 am »
hi, i recieved my odyssey cyclops with all upgrades [it is a khartago with a volume control] and have been totally satisfied. i leave it on 24/7 and it drives my magnepan mmgs really well. i bet you will be very happy.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2014, 04:39 am »
Hi Chops,

Can you inform us how much all the add ons are costing you?  I had a basic khartago a few years ago and it was a fine amplifier.  I'm sure the upgraded one will be a stellar performer.  The last thing you need to do is to go backwards or have a similar sound quality than you old monarchy amplifiers

Good luck.

Regards Rod

Chops

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2014, 04:43 am »
hi, i recieved my odyssey cyclops with all upgrades [it is a khartago with a volume control] and have been totally satisfied. i leave it on 24/7 and it drives my magnepan mmgs really well. i bet you will be very happy.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about leaving the amp on 24/7. I do that already anyway with my system. It's been on 24/7 over the past year since we moved into this new apartment. I'm certain I'll be happy as well!

Chops

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2014, 04:50 am »
Hi Chops,

Can you inform us how much all the add ons are costing you?  I had a basic khartago a few years ago and it was a fine amplifier.  I'm sure the upgraded one will be a stellar performer.  The last thing you need to do is to go backwards or have a similar sound quality than you old monarchy amplifiers

Good luck.

Regards Rod

Hello Rod,

I'm most certain this amp is going to stomp the old Monarchy amp into the ground. Not that that amp was any slouch by any imagination of the word. It wasn't at all. It was a great amp and had loads of balls for only being 25 watts Class A. Then again, that was nearly 25 lbs of massive PS and 60,000uF of caps packed into a very small package. That's the same amount of PS capacitance as the base Khartago and Stratos amps, and they're more than four times as powerful (more than six times with the Stratos)!

As far as price?... Well I'd rather not say, at least not yet. If Klaus sees this thread and wants to pitch in, that's one thing, but I don't want to go blabbering out prices if he doesn't want me to, if you know what I mean.  :wink:

germay0653

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2014, 12:11 am »
Welcome to the club Chops.  You're gonna love the way it sounds.  Just be aware of the break-in process and once broken in it's stellar.

Chops

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:51 am »
Welcome to the club Chops.  You're gonna love the way it sounds.  Just be aware of the break-in process and once broken in it's stellar.

Thanks! I've been told about the long break-in period. As Klaus put it, it'll sound like $h!t right out of the box. LOL

jMelvin

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2014, 12:39 pm »
Thanks! I've been told about the long break-in period. As Klaus put it, it'll sound like $h!t right out of the box. LOL

When my Cyclops was first inserted into my system I expected it to sound awful .. it didn't. Couldn't imagine what Klaus was talking about until I had some real time on it. You won't be disappointed. Congrats and enjoy the ride.

Chops

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:24 am »
When my Cyclops was first inserted into my system I expected it to sound awful .. it didn't. Couldn't imagine what Klaus was talking about until I had some real time on it. You won't be disappointed. Congrats and enjoy the ride.

I guess why Klaus says that is because he's used to listening to amps that have many many hours on them vs brand new ones that were just built and tested. I'm certain mine will sound 100 times better straight out of the box than the little Dayton amp I'm using at the moment.

Chops

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:24 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what the Kismet Khartago looks like in the upgraded case? Is it like the Stratos with the polished aluminum pillars and billet heat sinks? Any pics?

I can't seem to really find anything online, nor can I get a hold of Klaus as I was wanting to discuss a little more about the amp he'll be building me.

DogWizard

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:37 pm »

So when it was all said and done, and with the crappy cellphone signal, all I know is that I'm getting some kind of hotrod Khartago with upgraded PS, upgraded caps, upgraded wiring, upgraded board, upgraded case, upgraded input jacks, upgraded face plate, pretty much upgraded upgrades!  At the end I asked Klaus what exactly it was that I just ordered, and I think he replied something like a Khartago Stereo Extreme Plus Kismet Charles Limited Edition. Haha

That was exactly my experience a few years back - I'm not even sure that Klaus offers a "standard" anything.  :lol:

I wanted upgraded Stratos Monos in a smaller form factor and that's exactly what I got. Upgrades all around and everything stuffed into Khartago cases. Between those and my Candela, I've been extremely pleased and no longer have any desire to "experiment" - hopefully you will be just as pleased.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Chops

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:11 am »
Okay, that was another very productive phone call with Klaus! Thanks for calling back, Klaus!  :green:

I needed to speak with Klaus so I could fill him in on the voltage swings here in our apartment over the past few days, and to ask about changing the shipping location. Of course, I've been doing a lot more reading as well the past few days since putting in my order and wanted to ask about any other viable, bang-per-buck upgrades. By the end of this call, we both decided on the "black board" upgrade as well as the Symphonic Line capacitor upgrade.

So now, this amp is going to be extremely close to being a Kismet amp! Of course, there's still a few things that a "real" Kismet has that mine won't, but at this point, this amp is already overkill for my situation so to speak. But like I told Klaus, he's German and I'm half German, so we're used to doing things with a little overkill. LOL

fredgarvin

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2014, 04:44 am »
I guess why Klaus says that is because he's used to listening to amps that have many many hours on them vs brand new ones that were just built and tested. I'm certain mine will sound 100 times better straight out of the box than the little Dayton amp I'm using at the moment.

That will be a great amp, and a keeper, but don't be surprised if it sounds nowhere near 100 times better than the Dayton. Those little buggers sound pretty good. I know because i've compared mine to some big, high dollar amps.

Chops

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2014, 02:22 am »
That will be a great amp, and a keeper, but don't be surprised if it sounds nowhere near 100 times better than the Dayton. Those little buggers sound pretty good. I know because i've compared mine to some big, high dollar amps.

True, the little Dayton is quite amazing for its $125-150 price tag. Deep bass, nice mids and neutral highs with a fairly decent sound stage. However, compared to my old Monarchy Audio amp, it still lacks that uber-tight control on the bottom end, the mids (vocals mainly) could be a bit fuller and natural sounding, and the top end could be a bit smoother and less grainy. It just lacks the refinement of the Monarchy. Then again, that's comparing a $150 amp to a $1000 Class A amp.

Theoretically, from what everyone says about the Khartago amps, even more so a highly upgraded one like the one I'll be getting, this amp should run circles around the old Monarchy amp like there's no tomorrow. For all practical purposes, the Monarchy shouldn't stand a chance against even the base Khartago, or at least maybe the Plus version.

Only time will tell. 

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2014, 02:40 am »
I love my Khartago amplifier that was tricked out by Klaus. You will not be disappointed.

Chops

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2014, 03:42 am »
I love my Khartago amplifier that was tricked out by Klaus. You will not be disappointed.

I'm sure I won't be. Just curious, what speakers are you running?

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2014, 02:02 am »
Sorry I was offline for several days. I run Pi Speaker 4 Pi's and Magnepan MMG's. Radically different designs and difficulty to drive.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2014, 02:02 pm »
Looks like we've got another convert, Chops.  When your custom amp arrives, I think you'll take a photo of it and use it as your new avatar :thumb:

Chops

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2014, 08:41 pm »
Sorry I was offline for several days. I run Pi Speaker 4 Pi's and Magnepan MMG's. Radically different designs and difficulty to drive.

No biggie. No apology needed.  :wink:

Looks like we've got another convert, Chops.  When your custom amp arrives, I think you'll take a photo of it and use it as your new avatar :thumb:

Ya think?! LOL   Of course I will. In fact, I'm sure I'll be taking quite a few pics of it, inside and out. I think this amp is going to be a bit different than most Khartago's out there, Kismet or otherwise.  :green:

Chops

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2014, 03:56 pm »
I'm getting antsy waiting on my new amp. LOL

In the meantime, I've kept myself busy acquiring a little over a dozen new hi-rez albums from HDtracks as well as just ordering a brand new pair of Wireworld Oasis 7 bi-wire speaker cables.

Something else I've been spending my time on is tweaking speaker location and seating location. This has proved most beneficial. After messing with these 2.9's all week long, late at night, I've got these things imaging and throwing out a wide, open sound stage like a pair of really nice bookshelf speakers (something everyone says is impossible with NHT 2.9's/3.3's). Now I have really good width and depth. Moving the listening seat back about a foot helped a lot. I'm sure there's probably more tweaking that can be done, and I'll probably be doing some more shuffling around today, but for now, I'm happy with the results as I swig down my coffee.  :green: