Lii Audio

mick wolfe

Lii Audio
« on: 2 Nov 2022, 04:54 pm »
I just read a comment on another forum that the original F-15 is still the better candidate for open baffle as opposed to the new Fast 15. It appears the "Fast" is the better candidate for a cabinet. Any thoughts :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Lii Audio
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:06 pm »
Its about the Qts or in last case the Personal taste.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:32 pm »
OB by themselves, probably, with a helper woofer, not necessarily.

Cabinet, lower Fast qts better.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2022, 05:59 pm »
I built open baffle boards for the F15's and once they are at the correct height (for me at least) they sound great - give my Spatial M3 turbos a real run for the money.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2022, 10:30 pm »
I built open baffle boards for the F15's and once they are at the correct height (for me at least) they sound great - give my Spatial M3 turbos a real run for the money.

Do you listen with the speakers that close to the wall?  :scratch:

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2022, 11:32 pm »
No, certainly not! I built stands to get them to the correct height and put them on polyurethane casters so that I can easily adjust the position in one of 3 prime locations. They are usually at least 2-3' away from the surface behind them; not much benefit that I can hear for much more than that. I have two locations on the long dimension of the room and one on the short dimension but they all seem to sound similarly great. With a subwoofer to augment the bottom octave for certain program material, I have no complaints about the FR and the imaging and depth of the soundstage are simply outstanding.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2022, 01:41 am »
Congratulation on your nice F15 panel, seems real wood.
Do you have heard with and without the black cloth mask?
Do you noted any effect on the music?

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2022, 12:26 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,
                         the baffles are solid mahogany, two 7/8" layers thick, bricked (i.e. seams offset) with a final thickness of ~1 1/2". The grill cloths can be removed, but I haven't tried listening w.o. them in place. The rolling bases are made of solid ipe' (very heavy) - the floor stands are also mahogany and set onto the rolling bases. The whole project was a big learning experience but turned out much better than I expected in all aspects.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2022, 11:49 pm »
Thankyou :thumb:

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2022, 04:31 pm »
Does anyone have a schematic of the Liionidas crossover for the Lii Audio open baffle XO or the open baffle XO extreme? I haven't gotten an answer from them after several emails over several months. Thanks!

DavidS

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2022, 04:49 pm »
not sure if this is what you are looking for...

http://www.modelpromo.nl/audio-dandy/reviews/The%20Liiondias%20Open%20Baffle%20Speaker/The%20Liionidas%20Open%20Baffle%20speaker.pdf

have kept this bookmarked thinking I would love to build this one day - good for winter time dreaming.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2022, 05:35 pm »
DavidS,
           that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much & happy listening!  :D

Poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2022, 01:25 pm »
I've tried the F-15 as a single on a flat baffle but much prefer it with bass augmentation. Here I'm bi-amping with a SET amp driving the F-15s which run full range while the H-frame 15a Alphas are powered and low passed by a 100 watt plate amp.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2022, 01:48 pm »
The single F-15s which used baffle dimensions similar to the Decware model sounded nice but not as good as with the H-frames ( also pictured ).

DavidS

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2022, 09:03 pm »
I had my 15s in a Caintuck baffle.  Liked a lot about the sound but just didn't quite work in my small room (11x12) - sound seemed down near the floor (which it was).  Always thought about trying an H-frame or the Liilondas approach but ended up selling them.  Pretty sure the Caintucks would work better in a larger or at least less square room.  Have a Zu Soul Supremes now which brings drivers closer to ear level.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2022, 10:09 pm »
My favorite so far has been F-15's and Lowther DX3's with bass support in these flat baffles.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2022, 12:11 pm »