Took a trip to visit Serious Stereo in Montana ..

drummerwill

Took a trip to visit Serious Stereo in Montana ..
« on: 17 Aug 2019, 01:29 am »

I usually try to make it to the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in Denver every October,
 but I got word , it was going to be cancelled. ( They later decided to put it on any way)......

As an alternative I was invited to come to Livingston Montana , the home of Dennis Fraker and
 Serious Stereo . Yes the place where they hand build the world Class $10,000 a pair 2 watt/chan.
 SET mono-block amps.

I was invited along with 3 other DIY SET enthusiast, to listen and tweak a new 2 stage SET amp
 that uses a KT-88 output and no feedback.  Something that's never been properly examined in the
 circle of SET /SEP amp builders. One guy Tom drove from Virginia ,back up thru Missouri to pickup Jeff and his amp
 ,then on to Montana. I couldn't make the drive , I flew to Bozeman and was picked up by Dennis's brother
 Brian and was driven to Livingston. When I arrived we had a 3rd member, Ash had driven down from
 Seattle the night before,

Jeff Medwin the designer /builder with help from Dennis Fraker, had been working on this project
 for about the last 8 months. Now it was listening time. For sources we used Dennis's excellent
 Digital system , his special built computer with Lynx soundcard and Berkley Audio A/D convertor,
Panasonic BluyRay DvD player. With Dennis's favorite music source DVD's " Celtic Thunder",

We first listened to one early pair of Dennis's SS 2A3 mono-blocks using a pair of AVVT-2A3's then
 switched in some EML2A3 Mesh plates.  During this time Jeff was making a Capacitor change at
 Dennis's suggestion to Jeff's KT-88 amp. We then put Jeff's amp in the system ... it really sound
 good. With really great dynamics, but it was not up to the SS 2A3 standard.  Jeff made another
 tweak, then we listened again. ..... Still not quite there.

The next day after breakfast it was back to Dennis's and more listening to other SS @A3 amps
 with different output Transformers and different driver tubes. What an enlightening experience !!

We took a break for food and a short trip over the mountains to Billings Mt. for some sightseeing.
 I had never seen such beauty in our country before.... absolutely spectacular .

Next day more Tweaking and listening.  By the end of my 3rd day there Jeff new amp was performing
 just as one of Dennis's world Class amps with expensive Triode 2A3 amps .........but using a Cheap KT-88 !
  Here is Jeff's writeup on AudioKarma.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/185504-montana-directly-coupled-2a3-amps-versus-missouri-kt88s-in-sepentode-zero-nfb/

Willie

Blackmore

Re: Took a trip to visit Serious Stereo in Montana ..
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2019, 02:14 am »
Willie, what a great trip and I wish I could have heard this new amp.  I'm super jealous!!!!!!

Mark

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2019, 11:22 am »
Willie,

What speakers were used in the audition?

Best,
Anand.

drummerwill

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2019, 05:20 pm »

First .... let me apologize for mis-spelling Dennis's last name it should be Frajer ..... not Fraker !!

We used Dennis's Serious Stereo Speakers. They are MLTL boxes ( designed to Dennis's specs ) with
 GPA 15" Duplex horn speakers and modified GPA  crossovers.

That's the way Dennis described them .

Willie

wedweb

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2019, 12:10 am »
Sounds like a great experience and way out of my tech level.  :)