Hypex NCore question and answers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #120 on: 25 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm »
I love how this endless list of top end amps is bested by the ncore, but people are still like, yeah.... But I wonder how it would compare to my midrange, average amp, cause that would be a REAL contest  :scratch:

What I want to know is how it will compare to a NAD amp.  :P

orientalexpress

« Reply #121 on: 25 Apr 2012, 11:38 pm »
Actually ,Hopefully .The Hypex 1200 be available for DIY sooner then later :icon_lol:

Lapsan

dwk

« Reply #122 on: 25 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm »
What I want to know is how it will compare to a NAD amp.  :P

I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but actually the NAD M2 would be an interesting comparison, albeit not quite apples-to-apples. The M2 has spectacular measured performance and might well be an honest contender in a comparison.

Placed my order, even though I'm likely to be in a state of flux for a while and still don't know what my speakers will be. Still my working model of  NAD M51-> NCore -> Tempesta (or Salk SCST, or Abbey/Cirrus if I find some more pennies) is shaping up nicely.

PeteG

« Reply #123 on: 26 Apr 2012, 12:44 am »
You guy's are killing me......   where do I order  :duh:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #124 on: 26 Apr 2012, 12:47 am »
You guy's are killing me......   where do I order  :duh:
https://www.hypexshop.com/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #125 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:04 am »
How many modules can be strapped to a single power supply?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #126 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:05 am »

mgalusha

« Reply #127 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:10 am »

I would say two would be a good limit, the supply is rated for 600W, so even that is cutting the power by 50%. Not that most folks need it all, at least most of the time. One could get two modules and one PS in the CoZ cables chassis with a little tweaking of the rear panel.

mgalusha

« Reply #128 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:13 am »
Three years ago when I listened to the Hypex UcD modules I instantly knew they were severe over-achievers.  To this day I still know this to be the case.  Point being, I'll bet my underwear that the Ncore and UcD share a lot more in common (sonically) than most folks might think.  (Why might I think that?)

Of course the do, but if you read some of Mr. Putzeys post on the (admittedly huge) diyaudio thread, he discusses the differences.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #129 on: 26 Apr 2012, 01:34 am »
I find this thread quite amusing.

Three years ago when I listened to the Hypex UcD modules I instantly knew they were severe over-achievers.  To this day I still know this to be the case.  Point being, I'll bet my underwear that the Ncore and UcD share a lot more in common (sonically) than most folks might think.  (Why might I think that?)

Maybe I should have sent my UcD amps around the country to gain audiophile acceptance instead of keeping the secret all to myself.   :lol:

I had UcD amps in my system (CI Audio D-200's) and while they were good, in no way were they close to the level of performance of the Ncore amps. 

I preferred half a dozen amps over the D-200's and they weren't close to the level of performance of the Atma-Sphere amps that have been my reference amp for the past few years.

George

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #130 on: 26 Apr 2012, 03:44 am »
Any word on an OEM build other than Theta???  Then again I was looking at the Pass 100.5's, so....

Sam Lord

« Reply #131 on: 26 Apr 2012, 04:03 am »
Actually ,Hopefully .The Hypex 1200 be available for DIY sooner then later
Not the nc1200, of the ncores only the nc400 will be DIY for a long time.  Hypex wanted only one ncore DIY module to prevent cannibalization of their vastly larger OEM market.  There are however more choices of UcD modules, and all of that line will soon have a few significant improvements which arose from development of the ncore circuit.

Note that the nc1200 differs little from the nc400, around 2.3dB (~70%) more powerful.  The former is named by its 4 Ohm rating, whereas the nc1200 is name for its 2 Ohm rating, which is more familiar to PA folks.

Bjorn

« Reply #132 on: 26 Apr 2012, 07:48 am »
I see some have mentioned ICEPower. I haven't heard Ncore yet (still waiting for them to be shipped), but I've compared ICEPower 125ASX2 with UcD 400HG with HxR. UcD modules were much more transparent. No comparison really. The 125ASX2 are very nice, but they are actually somewhat tube like in the treble with a warm presentation. On the speakers i tried them with, they also gave me a lean middle or upper bass compared to UcD. The UcD sounded fuller with more bass. Not sure why.
The 125ASX2 are considered to be better then ICEPower ASP modules. I have heard ASP modules and had active speakers with them, but never had the chance to directly compare them to ASX2 or UcD.
As far as I know Bel Canto uses ICEPower.

And considering that Ncore is a notch or two better then UcD, there shouldn't be much of a comparison really.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #133 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:36 am »
Just in case the price of all this glory has escaped the notice of some readers, I'll tell you what it is costing me.
I used a wire transfer to pay Hypex $1351.56 for the 2 NC400 modules and the 2 SMPS600 power supplies. The wire transfer cost $50. Total so far is $1401.56.
Then I will be having them assembled for me as monos for another $100 per amplifier including all wire and all connectors and switches. My cases will be coming from C0Z for $125 each. That brings the sum total to $1851.56.
The only other additional costs will be postage to forward the parts to my builder and shipping to return the finished amplifiers to me. Under $1900 all in.
Now please, for the sake of keeping all this talk a little bit sane, compare that <$1900 outlay to the price of whatever amplification you are thinking of for comparison. Your conclusion should be obvious. The NC400 is being considered as possibly the best amplifier available at any price and you can have your own pair of monoblocks for under $2K. And if you build your own and get clever about cases, you might keep the cost closer to $1500.
What is there to think about? The only legitimate concern I've seen here so far concerns extreme power needs. Every other possible concern has been asked and answered. Now that mine are in the pipeline, I no longer see any reason not to push you toward this purchase.
And, in case you are asking yourself if I have Hypex stock, the answer is, "Wish I did".

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #134 on: 26 Apr 2012, 03:38 pm »
Reality is that these things are very expensive.  Not many people would send a company $1,500 for what is essentially a product prototype.  However, I do hope they live up to what some posters indicate is world class sound.  Nick77 answered my PM and has graciously agreed to let me hear them at his house here in Austin after they arrive.

Here is Hypex' reply to my pricing question:

"Hello,

We only sell these products direct. Indeed the price might be serious, however from all feedbacks we have so far the majority of the customers do find the modules very, very reasonable priced. Some of them do have the opinion they are cheap as they have replaced big and rather expensive Class A amplifiers the previously owned…

Anyway if you still like to buy them please go to our webshop www.hypexshop.com

Best regards,"

sts9fan

« Reply #135 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:58 pm »
Gotcha. No good deed eh.

Like I said, I will be trying them once the 6-9 month FOTM sell off begins.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #136 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:06 pm »
David,
Hi.  Long time no talk.  I forgot about that nice review on CA.  Great stuff.  Did you ever get these over to the guy who had the Clayton's?

kevinh

« Reply #137 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm »
Reality is that these things are very expensive.  Not many people would send a company $1,500 for what is essentially a product prototype.  However, I do hope they live up to what some posters indicate is world class sound.  Nick77 answered my PM and has graciously agreed to let me hear them at his house here in Austin after they arrive.

I have been following thr Ncore saga since last summer. I would disagree they are a product prototype, this is a fully engineered product that was designed for the DIY market. The DIY market had done a lot to get the word out on the UcD modules and are doing the same with the Ncore.

They also have modules with more power that are geared for the OEM market for those uncomfortable with hooking up the NC400's

IMO the price is very fair the assemply work is far less than simpler than with most amps.

They probably sell more amps through the OEM channel than through the DIY channel. It is very nice of Bruno to make these modules to the DIY market, especially when you see the prices derived from the NC1200 modules.

I am sure not everyone will feel they are the 'best' amps, but based on what I am reading they seem to provide a great price/performance, reminds me of the Gedlee speakers, perhaps not the 'best' but clearly a great price performance proposition .

These amps are somewhat expensive for a kit, but not any more than some 300b amps for example.

earflappin

« Reply #138 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:29 pm »

I have been following thr Ncore saga since last summer. I would disagree they are a product prototype, this is a fully engineered product that was designed for the DIY market. The DIY market had done a lot to get the word out on the UcD modules and are doing the same with the Ncore.

They also have modules with more power that are geared for the OEM market for those uncomfortable with hooking up the NC400's

IMO the price is very fair the assemply work is far less than simpler than with most amps.

They probably sell more amps through the OEM channel than through the DIY channel. It is very nice of Bruno to make these modules to the DIY market, especially when you see the prices derived from the NC1200 modules.

I am sure not everyone will feel they are the 'best' amps, but based on what I am reading they seem to provide a great price/performance, reminds me of the Gedlee speakers, perhaps not the 'best' but clearly a great price performance proposition .

These amps are somewhat expensive for a kit, but not any more than some 300b amps for example.

Kevin, I would agree with you.  I would not rate the NC 400 as a prototype.  This is a fully engineered amplifier module with companion power supply.  The build quality is excellent.  As a Geddes Abbey speaker owner I would also agree with your comparison of the NC 400 to the Abbey on a price/performance basis.  All I can say is that the NC 400's are well worth an audition if you seek the finest in audio amplification. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #139 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:31 pm »
Hi Ted, hope all is well with you.  I heard the Clayton's at jtwrace's house about 2-3 weeks before I got my NCOREs.  His system is almost identical to mine.  I sent Jason my NCOREs where he and Anand had the opportunity to A/B them versus the Clayton.   Jason and Anand both bought the NCORE based on that audition.  I also sent mine to Tom S who subsequently bought them.

Yeah, should have put a smiley face after the Clayton question.  It was a joke, referring to your comment on the CA review, and then fast-forwarding to this wonderful generous gesture (tour) by an ex-Clayton owner.  :)  (Guess I'm having a bad "internet inflection" day).