Need help with streaming MQA on Tidal please..new Dac or streamer?

morganc

Hey guys.  I love my Audio Mirror SE DAC but…… I listen to a lot of streaming on Tidal and it’s becoming more and more MQA only on certain albums and I’ve noticed the sound quality deteriorates severely on those tracks. 

Any recos on how to improve MQA Sound quality?   I’m using an Aries Mini Streamer now. 

Questions for the gurus here.
1.  Would other streamers decode the MQA for me so I could keep my Dac?  If not,
2. Best choice on Dacs that do decode the MQA that are similar to the Audio Mirror? 

avta

Are you sure your DAC can decode MQA?

morganc

Are you sure your DAC can decode MQA?

Huh?  As stated above No.  that's the reason I posted this thread. 

Doublej

If you expand the DAC User Manual on this page you will see the answer is

DAC does not have MQA capability.

avta

Sorry guess I was slow to understand that. As I understand it, and I'm no expert, the first so called unfolding of MQA files is done by software and the second process is done by the DAC. I'm not familiar with the sound of your DAC but others here may be. Do you have a budget for another DAC which is likely what you will have to do.

whell

Sorry guess I was slow to understand that. As I understand it, and I'm no expert, the first so called unfolding of MQA files is done by software and the second process is done by the DAC. I'm not familiar with the sound of your DAC but others here may be. Do you have a budget for another DAC which is likely what you will have to do.

Or, keep your DAC, which you enjoy, and dump Tidal.  There are alternative streaming services out there that sound as good or better, don't require proprietary equipment or software, and don't leave the user wondering if the next album they hear will sound like crap or not just because their DAC doesn't offer the "unfolding" of a stupid lossy encoding standard that ultimately adds nothing to the user's enjoyment of music.

Craig B

I don’t know of any way to improve the sound of MQA files that doesn’t involve full “unfolding” by a compliant DAC.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
MQA is a compression scheme.  Best avoided if possible.  That's why I use Qobuz instead of Tidal - real, actual hirez with zero compression.  And since there's no compression, there's no need to 'unfold' anything. 

morganc

I don’t know of any way to improve the sound of MQA files that doesn’t involve full “unfolding” by a compliant DAC.

Thanks Craig.  I wasn’t sure if the streamer could do it. 

morganc

MQA is a compression scheme.  Best avoided if possible.  That's why I use Qobuz instead of Tidal - real, actual hirez with zero compression.  And since there's no compression, there's no need to 'unfold' anything.

Agreed on the best avoided comment. Im not sure why tidal is using MQA more and more these days.  What DAC do you use Tyson?

morganc

Or, keep your DAC, which you enjoy, and dump Tidal.  There are alternative streaming services out there that sound as good or better, don't require proprietary equipment or software, and don't leave the user wondering if the next album they hear will sound like crap or not just because their DAC doesn't offer the "unfolding" of a stupid lossy encoding standard that ultimately adds nothing to the user's enjoyment of music.

Thanks. I’ll check out other options as I do love my Dac.

morganc

No worries. Thanks for your input.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Agreed on the best avoided comment. Im not sure why tidal is using MQA more and more these days.  What DAC do you use Tyson?

Went from an Auarlic Vega to an iFi iDSD Pro (because, tubes!), and now I also just got a Musical Paradise MP-D2 mk3 (because, even MORE tubes, lol).  Also the MP is so overbuilt that it makes my other DACs look and feel like toys.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right

Yes.  I switched from Tidal to Qobuz and never looked back.  It's cheaper and better sounding.  I did like the Tidal interface better, but after a few weeks I couldn't remember the difference.

carusoracer

I have been a Tidal subscriber for quite some time. I enjoy it’s features and interface via Roon in my system: However with my Auralic G1 streamer and Denafrips Pontus DAC, The MQA format sounds to processed and artificial to me.

I’m very disappointed that Tidal has taken the stance on converting their voluminous library to this format without the ability, for most artists, to play the non, MQA versions. 

If there is a breakdown already completed by another member please forward me the links of the pros and cons of the two streaming services: Tidal vs Quobuzz, to avoid any redundancy. Thank you. Any other suggestions or positive and proactive alternatives are appreciated. 

Craig B

I've subscribed to both Qobuz and Tidal for a couple of years now. I enjoy Qobuz more, and would like to quit Tidal, but every time I'm about to dump it, there'll be an album I want to hear, and Qobuz won't have it, and Tidal does. The latest example is Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor's Appalachian Journey. Nowhere to be seen on Qobuz (at least here in the states). Tidal also has a much greater selection of Bruce Cockburn, who's one of my ATFs. So far that kind of thing has been just enough to keep me on the hook.

whell

I've subscribed to both Qobuz and Tidal for a couple of years now. I enjoy Qobuz more, and would like to quit Tidal, but every time I'm about to dump it, there'll be an album I want to hear, and Qobuz won't have it, and Tidal does. The latest example is Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor's Appalachian Journey. Nowhere to be seen on Qobuz (at least here in the states). Tidal also has a much greater selection of Bruce Cockburn, who's one of my ATFs. So far that kind of thing has been just enough to keep me on the hook.

There's also Deezer with Tidal's library and Quboz's pricing.  No, Deezer doesn’t do 24bit streams, but their CD quality streaming sounds very good.

wushuliu

Yeah, despite the criticisms about the emphasis on rap and hip hop, it's regular rock titles that keep me on Tidal since Qobuz didn't have them (Heart's Bebe Le Strange, Bob Seger's "Shakedown" from the Beverly Hills Cop II Soundtrack for instance). The Qobuz library has improved since my initial try-out but gaps remain. And with my PC setup Tidal sounds better. Qobuz sounds rolled off in a way that doesn't entirely natural, but I'm sure is appealing to audiophile setups.