New V3 users chime in

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Re: New V3 users chime in
« Reply #80 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:28 pm »
UPS just dropped off the upgraded 9V2Ses to V3. It is very cold in the UK and the amps were very cold as well. I am leaving them in a warm room for an hr or so before I hook them up. Audio Affair in the UK performed the upgrade (it is where I purchased them from , along with the P9), excellent service from Dr Hugh and his team. I plan to run them non stop for the next few days and will let you know how it progresses. Just in time for christmas listening :D
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2010, 12:26 pm by David C »

John Casler

« Reply #81 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:59 pm »
Finally got a chance to hear the REF9SE V3 in one of my clients systems on Sunday.

Since he and I have virtually the same system (speakers and components) he has always strived to achieve the sound I have in my room.

With his new acoustic treatments and V3 upgrade, he has (I have to admit) surpassed what my system will do.

I don't like to use the term "smooth" in describing a system but his system still had "all" the detail and resolution, but was just smooth and natural.

The second and most incredible sonic, was the DEPTH.  It was astounding.

Additionally, I recall listening to his system in the past and having to move a little from side to side, to get the center imaging and soundstage.

Now I sat down on the couch, in the center, and BAM!!! the image and soundstage was locked into place with the singer in a lifesized 3-D image  standing a few feet behind the speakers.

Needless to say, I was very impressed and to a large part the V3 was responsible.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #82 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:30 pm »
Hey John V3 is a huge jump for getting deeper into the music. You use the term smooth but i believe its control. On loud passages the ability to reproduce the sound naturally is down right awesome. All of the other descriptions you mention are right on for sure. I cant get away from my stereo these days playing LP after LP.
Hope CES is a big success, one of these days i hope to be in that number.
Mike

David C

« Reply #83 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:17 pm »
I've got about 15 hrs on the amps and a similar expereice to the other posts. Much more crisp and punchy base right out of the box. Highs are still very muted and muddy, tough to tell about mid range at this stage. The burn in continues ............

Listening to Jethro Tull .... Skating Away on the thin ice

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #84 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:59 pm »
That's funny, I was listening to Jethro Tull Skating on the thin ice last night and it was sounding great on my SEV2's.

I'm in the queue for the upgrade - can't wait. My system seems so different from most folks here, except for one gentleman's..

After reading so many posts I'm still wondering about my "power conditioning" scheme and how good or bad it is. But that's another thread. I'm thinking now I should try Jason's power cables against mine before the upgrade happens.  :?

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #85 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:42 pm »
Michael,

Hello, What is your speaker? :D

David C

« Reply #86 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:28 am »
Michael
Jethro Tull Skating was one of my favourite demo songs it is just at this stage the V3's fall short of the V2's. I have let them run non stop and will do some more listening today. Bass is much deeper/more punch, mids still good but hoping for more zip. I run a Transporter (flac) to a Nuforce P9 to the V3s. Speakers need upgrading but I have a small living room. I have the B&W CM7s and would like to move to either Usher BE10s or B&W 802D's when I get a larger room (I rent)
I will post again later today

currently listening to War - the world is a getto

John Casler

« Reply #87 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:55 pm »
I'm thinking now I should try Jason's power cables against mine before the upgrade happens.  :?

Jason's Power Cables??

David C

« Reply #88 on: 29 Dec 2009, 02:25 pm »
between 130 and 140 hrs on the V3's...... getting better but still think I have a way to go. Bass is still the really strong point, details are there but still feel that the uppper end is not ringing out like it used to. I may have gotten accustom to a more "shrill" high end and what I am hearing now is a more balanced sound. Soundstage is much improved. It is very difficult not have a set of V2SEs to hook up to compare it to and I know my ear has no memory. I will keep them running

listening to Shawn Mullins Lulaby

Welborne

« Reply #89 on: 29 Dec 2009, 05:17 pm »
between 130 and 140 hrs on the V3's...... getting better but still think I have a way to go. Bass is still the really strong point, details are there but still feel that the uppper end is not ringing out like it used to. I may have gotten accustom to a more "shrill" high end and what I am hearing now is a more balanced sound. Soundstage is much improved. It is very difficult not have a set of V2SEs to hook up to compare it to and I know my ear has no memory. I will keep them running

listening to Shawn Mullins Lulaby

David, I understand exactly what you are feeling, especially when you said " the upper end is not ringing out like it used to..." as that was the main part I was missing my v2 during the breaking in period.  I was thinking the same thing whether I was hearing too much high before and the v3 is in fact more balanced...I did not have a v2 to compare my v3 against, and i did change a few things trying to improve the sound that other people here told me to do, above all, a better power cord. Now I am happy with the sound of the v3 after 160 hours (now into its 200 hrs I think). Not sure if my ears are broken in or the amp, so please update us as I am watching here.

David C

« Reply #90 on: 30 Dec 2009, 05:13 pm »
More critical listening today. I think the "edgy highs" that I became used to in the V2s are gone. The treble is still there but the whole is more full bodied. Great soundstage but I do miss the zing of the highs. My wife likes the V3s better so maybe it is my ear. They do sound very good and my speakers are not great bass. The cymbals are still there but overall it is more coherent. I have ~150hrs on the V3s and am pleased but I think I may have reached a point of dimishing returns on the electronics part given my speakers.

Will keep them running tonight and give another test listen in the morning.

really liked the soundstage in Peter, Paul and Mary Blowin in the Wind. Now have It's a Beautiful Day ... White Bird on
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2010, 11:53 am by David C »

Arnoldhasmail

« Reply #91 on: 1 Jan 2010, 07:47 pm »
Hi David C...

Any additional insight after a couple of additional days of break-in?

thanks
Arnoldhasmail

David C

« Reply #92 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:23 am »
At the risk of sounding like the other V3 owners .... they have finally really opened up and sound excellent. It is almost like having different gear once the hrs are on them. It took about 160 to 170 hrs and then I turned off the music for a while and returned to listen later. As others have noted the whole soundstage really opened up, very clear and articulate with a bass and upper bass that is second to none.

The highs are there and crisp/clear but still not as in the V2 but the overall sound is well worth the upgrade BUT you have to be patient. I will give them a critical listening this Sat afternoon with some favourites and will revert
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2010, 04:09 pm by David C »

Welborne

« Reply #93 on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:54 am »
".....The highs are ther and crisp/clear but still not as in the V2 but ......

I can't agree more. You are spot on describing my feeling.

Have you changed powe cord? That could make a big difference and could bring them to level..

David C

« Reply #94 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:17 pm »
Welborne
tried to post back earlier so if this is a duplicate pls forgive. I do miss the crisp highs and at first I thought I had a tweeter issue but the wholeness of the sound and the soundstage is very good. What power cord is you go with as I have the stock cord?

Listening to Nina Simone "my baby just cares for me" ...great voice and piano.

It will be intesting to see if others have a similar issue with the top end

beachbum

« Reply #95 on: 3 Jan 2010, 05:52 pm »
I believe V 3 is more realistic in the upper end compared to V 2. After more than 300 hrs now V 3 brings a true sound to the mids and upper frequencies. V 2 i believe exaggerated the upper end and i can say that now after long hours with V 3. Those cymbals and other high frequency sounds are now not standing out they are present and let the rest of the music sound balanced with upper end sound. IMO. Happy New Year to you all
Mike

worldcat

« Reply #96 on: 3 Jan 2010, 08:04 pm »
What will REF 18 bring to the table?

beachbum

« Reply #97 on: 4 Jan 2010, 12:43 am »
Worldcat search this circle for more information on Ref 18.
For now Ref 9 SE V3 is most wonderful if you like to sit down in front of your speakers and listen to music for hours on end.
Mike

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #98 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:35 am »
Ref 18 is still being worked on and please don't keep asking. We will provide any preliminary info if we have anything to share. Right now we don't even know if it will be better than V3  :lol:
We haven't had a chance to put the prototype together.

maligue

« Reply #99 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:26 am »
I have been reading these posts with some consternation. A story of high hopes, fears of disappointment, virtually child-like innocence in the expectation of wonderous joys, etc. The hours counted, the bated breathe, as each of you who implemented the upgrade sits down to listen ... again. 'Will it be better today?'
One thing that strikes me about the posts and the very few extant reviews in the press about the V3 is the absence of considerations about the effects upgrading may have on system synergy and the related matter of psycho-acoustics, i.e., our experience of sound.
Presumably, the upgrade/modification will influence our experience of the sound quality coming from the source(s) as well as the all-important preamplification we use. In other words, it is not likely that in any system there is a constant against which the effects of such upgrades/mods can be 'objectively' assessed. Is is rather not the case that the 160 hrs many of the posts cite for critical break-in time are in effect the hours are brains require to 'process' the modified sound quality from the whole system we use?