Bryston 3B and MMGs

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Bryston 3B and MMGs
« on: 12 Dec 2010, 12:53 pm »
I'm going to put together a home theater/music room for my better half and a buddy of mine has a pair of 3Bs which have been in storage for quite some time.  I'm pretty sure that these are the first variant of the 3B.
The room that I'm going to use is on the small side (12x15) so I'm thinking MMGs front, MMGC for the center and MMGW for the rear speakers with a sub.
I'm a tube guy and have no experience whatsoever with Bryston products.
I was thinking Bryston amp for the front, Bryston amp for the rear, a Class D amp for the center channel and then run an Oppo 83 or 93 through a tube buffer.
I'm a tube guy but want something that is simple to operate, it doesn't matter if it's left running all day but I want good sound quality, too.

jk@home

Re: Bryston 3B and MMGs
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:08 am »
Don't own Bryston, and my maggies aren't used for HT, but I would be more generally inclined to match the amps on the front three speakers, to get better integration there. Even if using only one channel of one of the Brystons. Guess you can try it either way.

Are you going with the analog outs of the Oppo, or digital outs? If the latter, you could get a HT receiver with pre outs, and use the internal amps for the rear.

I do the former; Oppo 83 into Sony TAP analog multi pre, to 5 matched Mackie pro amps (that go to a matched set of Paradigms).

Then again, some folks who use Magnepans for HT end up scrapping the center altogether, running in "Phantom mode". I tried my MMGs like that, they actually did much better with a phantom center than the 'digms.

That might be the best bet for a room your size (which BTW, is the same size room I have my MMGs in  :D) If that's the case, you are good amp wise.