Maggie 3.7s vs 20.1s?

berni

Re: Maggie 3.7s vs 20.1s?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2012, 06:20 am »
Great news!! Your wife rocks, ok with Celine Dion not  :lol:, but anyway great :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2012, 10:36 am »
You've got it made.
Congratulations in advance.

steve k

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm »
you can get a big mother amp (pro, if you can put it somewhere where you don't hear the fan) and use it on the woofer.

Congratulations Thunder. You made the right decision. Next time you're in St. Louis, you're welcome to hear my rig. No artifacts or fan noise here as many Gassers have heard for themselves.

Some people always know before they hear. Make up your own mind.

steve :thumb:

berni

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm »
Congratulations Thunder. You made the right decision. Next time you're in St. Louis, you're welcome to hear my rig. No artifacts or fan noise here as many Gassers have heard for themselves.

If he likes slam, he will not hear the fans with his 20.1 8) I own a pro amp MC2 mC1250 and the fans can be a bit loud when they go on, it is noticeable , but not at normal listening volumes or even higher. ...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2012, 03:30 pm »

Steve, I've been to your house for that swap meet last year.  I think you took a bunch of audio wires off my hands.

I'll be tapped out for audio funds for the next year, and I hope my Moscode will do the job.  The dealer said if I am going to biamp (which I've never done before) I should have either identical amps or very similar amps.

Anybody want some Sequerra Ribbon tweeters?  Dahlquist DQ-1s, or the Dahlquist active crossover?  All will probably be up for sale to pay for the 20.1s, 'tho I haven't worked out the final price with the dealer.

Anybody driving a Suburban from South Florida to St Louis soon? I'll split the fuel costs.   :thumb:   :notworthy:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2012, 04:37 pm »
You certainly should get a good discount on the now outdated 20.1 DEMO pair.
They would be $10K delivered. Maybe try for $9K.  8)
Remember they are an ALBATROSS on the dealers' hands right now.
(Depending on the dealer.. some just get angry if one tries to dicker.. but they certainly should be a bunch off list)

And with the 10' ceilings, the 20.1 will fit right in.

I am saving up for a pair of 20 somethings.. I have 3.6s right now.

berni

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:37 pm »
@thunderbrick, are the 20.1 at home? 8)

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm »
Update.  Below is a shot of my existing set up.  A little live, but it's a multi purpose man cave/commercial photo studio on occasion.  Speakers are 5' from front wall, 6+ feet from side walls, and the listening spot is roughly 15' from the speakers.  Artwork is not all up in the photos. plants are now much bigger.

Hey man, that is a SWEEET setup  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2012, 11:27 pm »
@thunderbrick, are the 20.1 at home? 8)

Interesting that the thread has gotten new life.  Just today the dealer emailed, and I sealed the deal at a price I am happy with!   Extra benefit?  I'll lose weight because I won't be able to eat for six damned months!

The 20.1s are two years old, MINT, with all packing, $7,750 shipped on a pallet halfway across the U.S.  I hope to haul my amps to STL next week to have them tested before the 20s arrive.  I can't use my system now anyway, because the room is stuffed with studio lights for an extensive product shoot.

Next week I will haul my amps to STL to get them tested for any issues.  I am scared to death of having to upgrade amps!
I usually pay $3K-$4K for most of my cars, then drive 'em 'til the wheels fall off, so this is HUGE for a cheap bastard like me!

Now, who wants to buy my 1.6s?     :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm »

Hey man, that is a SWEEET setup  :thumb:

My wife gets credit for the decorating, thanks!

berni

« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2012, 06:56 am »
It was telepathy across the globe :D. Can't wait to hear what will happen, when you first fire them up and start to find the best position in the room. I hope your amp will drive them to heaven.
Great decision you made, I was also first to buy a 3.6 or maybe wait for the 3.7, but then this 20.1 came across and I said, what the hell. I don't regred it till now.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #31 on: 11 Feb 2012, 10:44 am »
Your wife seems to have pretty good taste in things.
Maybe take her out to dinner before it's Oodles of Noodles time?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #32 on: 11 Feb 2012, 01:00 pm »
Dinner and breakfast out are on today's menu, especially 'cause she's just taken a job that will only have her home on weekends for the next two years.   :(

Gotta keep Momma happy, eh!

Scott F.

« Reply #33 on: 13 Feb 2012, 05:16 pm »
Congrats on the new speakers Bob  :thumb:

The room looks awesome BTW :green: Once you get the 20s up and running, it may be time for a road trip 8)

steve k

« Reply #34 on: 13 Feb 2012, 06:20 pm »
I'm with Scott! When are we coming down??   :scratch: :lol:

Conrats!!! They should work great in that room that far out from the back wall.

steve

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #35 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:05 pm »
I'm all for an open house, guys, but my wife will FREAK if she knows about it, it'll have to be on a weekend when she is not here.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if you haven't been to Rolla, you HAVE to stop by "A Slice of Pie!"  Best pies in Missouri!  And St. James Winery is located just 10-15 minutes from my house.  SUPER wines!

Thanks for the comments about out in the room, Steve.  The speaker wire (Bi-wire, too) is in conduit in the concrete floor, and I have maybe a foot or two extra to move the speakers around a bit.  I added a second pair of wires just for the halibut, never realizing that something like this might happen.

DAMN!    8)

Any GAS camera collectors?  The room is a photo studio AND a camera museum.   :thumb:

berni

« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:30 pm »
Are the 20.1 in yet??

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:32 pm »
Nope.  Should ship this week.  Took a long time to work things out, which was good, because I was swamped and had to re-arrange funding.

berni

« Reply #38 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:49 pm »
Nice, but after all you will sort it out :wink:
Strange, how you can go over budget and still be happy :green:, I did it and I never regret it.
Keep us informed and post some pictures.

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 13 Feb 2012, 09:26 pm »
After you have some time to recover from the expenditure you and Berni should get together and have a look at his custom 20.1 stands. Beaut!