Reverberation unit for home stereo(2.1)

Huck

Reverberation unit for home stereo(2.1)
« on: 27 Oct 2022, 10:55 am »
I got thinking last night and I was wondering if there is such a thing as a reverberation unit I could install in my home stereo.
These seemed to be popular back in the day for adding on to to car stereo,which got me to thinkin'...might sound good on some songs and not so good on others.
Does anyone know who makes such a unit to be installed into a home stereo,without too much trouble and expense? Thanks,Huck

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Reverberation unit for home stereo(2.1)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2022, 11:25 am »
I just saw one of these for home use on Facebook marketplace.  If I come across it again I'll post it here.  Searching for something specific doesn't work as well as eBay searches do.  I couldn't figure out why you'd want to add reverb to a home stereo, so I didn't open the ad.  It's possible that it was a PA application that I read wrong.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2022, 11:45 am »
Apparently I saw two.  One was a Pioneer SR 202W reverberation amp that looks very much like a home unit and what you're looking for.  The other was a  T.C. Electronics M350 Dual Engine Processor that looks to be a professional PA product.  I can't figure out how to copy a link and both are front door pick ups in Pittsburgh.

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2022, 12:14 pm »
I just saw one of these for home use on Facebook marketplace.  If I come across it again I'll post it here.  Searching for something specific doesn't work as well as eBay searches do.  I couldn't figure out why you'd want to add reverb to a home stereo, so I didn't open the ad.  It's possible that it was a PA application that I read wrong.

Just to try (hear) something different.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2022, 03:09 pm by Huck »

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2022, 01:04 pm »
I know Pioneer had some receivers (early to mid 1970s) that had this function.  I remember playing with it on my brother-in-laws receiver.  I was a kid and of course turned it all the way up until it was a sonic mess.  But it did seem like it could be used judiciously and add something to the sound.  Sorry, I have no idea on the model number.

I asked my brother-in-law about that receiver a few years back and apparently missed him giving it to me by just a few weeks.  His adult grandson had asked about it right before I did and was the lucky recipient. 

On a related / non-related note, Ron at New Record Day has a video that I JUST watched on a soundstage expander.  This seemed interesting to me, it might be to you too.  Links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4sj2nqx_8

https://blackiceaudio.com/foz-line/p/black-ice-foz-ssx

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2022, 01:26 pm »
I have not explored the space recently but I think there are many choices for sound alteration if you want to use a computer and a media player that supports plug-ins or extensions.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2022, 04:10 pm »
I never understood the use of a reverb unit in home audio. You turn it to max and it audio sucked.

I inherited my brothers old Pioneer rack stereo:
1. The rack wheels were broken
2. The turntable would sometimes go to 16RPM (it didn't have that speed) when you switched to 45RPM
3. the integrated had issues with the volume
4. The cassette deck didn't work
5. The system/timer worked
6. The tuner worked
7. The reverb worked

I gave it away because it was broken and I didn't have the room. I should have saved it.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2022, 05:48 pm »

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2022, 10:47 pm »
There are sound clips of the Black Ice Audio reverb box here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4sj2nqx_8

Huck

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2022, 01:42 am »
Thanks everyone.Huck :thumb:

Digi-G

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2022, 12:58 pm »
I never understood the use of a reverb unit in home audio. You turn it to max and it audio sucked.

I inherited my brothers old Pioneer rack stereo:
1. The rack wheels were broken
2. The turntable would sometimes go to 16RPM (it didn't have that speed) when you switched to 45RPM
3. the integrated had issues with the volume
4. The cassette deck didn't work
5. The system/timer worked
6. The tuner worked
7. The reverb worked

I gave it away because it was broken and I didn't have the room. I should have saved it.

That's what I alluded to earlier.  It was easy to add too much reverb and ruin the sound.  But I think on certain recordings, with a light touch, it could be beneficial.  Similar to using an EQ - it's easy to make the sound worse.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2022, 01:45 pm »
Reverb units are used in the mixing process to add space and depth to certain instruments.  Most vocal tracks have reverb.  Many drum tracks, especially snare and toms have reverbs.  Guitar amps have reverbs on them. Sometimes, the whole track has added reverb in the mastering process.  There are many different kinds of reverbs (hall, plate, room, etc.) with differing decay times and space sizes.  I cannot imagine any situation where adding this to a home stereo system would be useful.  It certainly won't make anything sound better as it will smear the image and reduce the clarity, which is what you're fighting with room acoustics.  The room in which your system is in is adding reverb already.  If you have tile, glass or untreated walls, you have reflections that are adding reverberation.  This is generally an unwanted artifact if you are going for clarity or accuracy in your system so adding more reverb is probably the wrong direction.  But to each their own.  It does make some cool sounds and that can be fun.
If you want to play with reverb, I would suggest getting a recording program and doing it that way.  There are reverb plug-ins that will emulate this and you can have fun with adding them to all kinds of recordings.  I'm sure there are many tutorials online about mixing with reverb and how to use it. 

Huck

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2022, 01:51 pm »
I am the OP and I think that my allowed budget won't get me where I want to be,only adding distortion,etc,so I think I will pass on the whole idea,but thanks to everyone who commented.Huck

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2022, 04:28 pm »
If you use a computer for audio replay into your system, there are lots of ways to add hall ambience without adding extra gear.  Some music players like Foobar2000 have ways to add VST plug-ins for added ambience for dry rooms.  They are typically now real room Impulse Responses, so not a generic reverberation idea like in earlier stereos. 

Just a thought.

Huck

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2022, 06:10 pm »
If you use a computer for audio replay into your system, there are lots of ways to add hall ambience without adding extra gear.  Some music players like Foobar2000 have ways to add VST plug-ins for added ambience for dry rooms.  They are typically now real room Impulse Responses, so not a generic reverberation idea like in earlier stereos. 

Just a thought.
I use a computer based system in my upstairs headphone rig,but my main listening rig is downstairs,where I was planning to use the reverb. Thanks,Huck