Bicycling On-the-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #380 on: 3 Dec 2010, 07:50 pm »
Hey you are right those c Dale welds are sanded down.  Not as smooth as the old cannandale but still pretty smooth. Either way I'm not excited about their new bikes but will bar to see one in person.

Take care

J

BikeWNC

« Reply #381 on: 6 Dec 2010, 12:34 am »
I rode 96 miles in 5:35 ride time yesterday down near Charleston, SC with a friend.  I had tight and sore calves and hamstrings all day which made for a long ride. 

Levi

« Reply #382 on: 6 Dec 2010, 01:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  That is a good pace.   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #383 on: 6 Dec 2010, 01:49 pm »
It is getting truly cold up here in the North East and the wind makes it even colder riding on-road.  I might have to start riding off-road more often and use the woods for warmth.  No wind inside the forest.  :)  My AirJack851 is not cutting it.  I just pulled a trigger on an Assos FuguJack.  They have it on sale at Wiggle - Platinum member gets additional 12%off - additional 20% off XMAS10 coupon.  :green:

BikeWNC

« Reply #384 on: 6 Dec 2010, 02:10 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  That is a good pace.   :thumb:

Thanks, it was about all I could do at this time of year, it was just 2 of us and we had several long stretches through residential areas where we rode along at 13mph or so.  That can kill an average in a hurry. 

Levi

« Reply #385 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:35 pm »
Thanks, it was about all I could do at this time of year, it was just 2 of us and we had several long stretches through residential areas where we rode along at 13mph or so.  That can kill an average in a hurry. 

You bet it would lower your average pace.  I really don't care about that since you are not racing anyway.  When I do a 100miles or so and you see that it took me 9hrs, that means we stopped somewhere.  :lol:  Now if you see me do 61 miles for 6hrs off-road that normally people do it for 7hrs, then you can say wow that is above average performance that not everyone can do.   :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #386 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:31 pm »
Yeah, it was supposed to be a leisurely ride but my HR didn't agree.  That was our wheels rolling time, the total time was a bit over 6 hours.  This time of year I want to manage my effort better than I did this past weekend.  I can do that when I ride alone but often that doesn't happen when I am part of a small group or even one other rider. 

Levi

« Reply #387 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:09 pm »
That is what I believe in, is to compare the timing with previous timing.  That is interesting findings, normally you ride faster with a small group but that also depends on the group.  What feared me the most is this crazy news from Italy having 8 riders killed by a driver high on pot.  :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40516070/ns/world_news-europe/

BikeWNC

« Reply #388 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:26 pm »
I saw that report. :(

Where I live, it is meth heads and blind Floridiots.  Gladly, the Floridiots have most all gone home now. 

Levi

« Reply #389 on: 14 Dec 2010, 04:12 pm »
Who rides in the winter?  I do.

This is all I need to keep warm. It has a built in balaclava.  :)

BikeWNC

« Reply #390 on: 14 Dec 2010, 04:37 pm »
Assos stuff is top notch.  The issue here is when it is cold, the roads are usually icy.  Right now it is hard to drive a car on them.  Besides, we were 0º this morning.  Sorry but that is way below my comfort level.  I'll ride in the 30s if the roads are clear.  But often there is sand and chat leftover from the last storm so one has to be very cautious. 

Levi

« Reply #391 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:14 pm »
It's time to switch to knobbies.  When the roads are slick, it is time be bring out your new 29er mountain bike!  :thumb:

I have been out in truly windy freezing ride with one base layer with the Assos Fugujack.  It is very comfortable jacket for extreme conditions.  The AirJack 851 is a joke here in the North East. 

Levi

« Reply #392 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:15 am »
Today was truly a cold day to ride a bike on-road.  29deg F with 15-20mph wind, feels like 15deg F.  I know because I was out there.  When your water bottle becomes frozen solid 30mins into the ride, that is a clear indication that it is truly COLD OUT!  Anyway, I only have an hour or so to spare so I decided to ride on-road from my home to Flushing Meadows Park. 

Inside the park was lonely.  Not a soul.  Making my way back home, I saw what seems like a guy in one of the play grounds Corona side taking pictures of his Litespeed Ti bike.  I mean we are talking about 29deg F with the wind, it felt like 15deg F.  I have to meet this crazy guy!  It turned out to be a truly nice guy!  I was expecting he would be a weirdo.  I mean who in the right mind is going to ride on-road in the winter?   ;D   He offered to take my picture, exchange emails and off I go.  Anyway, just sharing today's winter ride.  8-)

BikeWNC

« Reply #393 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:44 pm »
Our roads are just too snowy/icy to ride right now.  Besides, we've been at 0º the past 3 mornings.  It warmed up today after we got a dose of freezing rain overnight.  The kids have been out of school all week.  Too much snow to mtb, roads are too messy to ride on the road, I'm so desperate I may pull out the trainer for the football game tonight.   :roll:

AB

« Reply #394 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:51 pm »
You guys need some of these. :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #395 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:52 pm »
Nah, Florida is less than an eight hour drive away.  That seems like a much better solution.   :lol:

Levi

« Reply #396 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:28 pm »
Not yet a season for studded tires.

The Christmas lights at Brooklyn Heights was spectacular.  The whole town seems to have prepared for this.  Riders head count was 65 which is insane riding in the dark.  It was also freezing cold in the 30s.

Some of my favorite shots from my point-n-shoot.

Until next time!

jackman

« Reply #397 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:42 pm »
Levi
Thanks for sharing the great shots. It's single digits in Chicago and my bike is on the trainer. I need a trainer tire because my conty tires are soft and messing up my trainer. Indoor riding is wicked boring. I hate it and can't wait for upper thirties.

I am not tough enough for single digit riding. It hurts to breathe.

Cheers
J

JoshK

« Reply #398 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:42 pm »
I haven't been on my bike(s) in a while, but I just received some of my winter gear so now I can go without freezing my @$$ off. 

Levi

« Reply #399 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:47 pm »
I have a trainer too but haven't used it.  I am keeping it as a backup.  :)

Josh: that is great news man.  Winter riding specially off-road is nice this time of the year when the trails are frozen solid.