Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1120 on: 17 Apr 2013, 09:13 pm »
I am going electronic!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1121 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:17 pm »
Congrats Levi.

I went electronic last fall (Shimano Ultegra Di2) and love it!!

Now that the weather is finally getting nice, time to continue my triathlon training outside!!  :-)

George

jackman

« Reply #1122 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm »
Wow!   Very nice new additions.  Let us know how you like the new Di versus your previous setup. Everyone I know who has made the jump loves it.

Levi

« Reply #1123 on: 18 Apr 2013, 04:25 am »
Thanks boys!  :thumb:

A few more pictures:

No wires!

Junction box

Etube project program for the Di2

JoshK

« Reply #1124 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:51 am »
Now does it qualify as an E-bike?  ;)

Not super related, but Thompson is said to come out with a blue tooth version of their soon to be released dropper post.  Things are getting wacky in the biking world. 

Levi

« Reply #1125 on: 22 Apr 2013, 01:51 am »
It is a never ending innovation.  SRAM now has an 11-speed road group however a little behind on electronic shifting like Campy or Shimano.

Levi

« Reply #1126 on: 22 Apr 2013, 01:48 pm »
@George, you know you can convert your Ultegra Di2 to 11-speed right?  Simply change the rear derailleur to RD-9070 and a firmware upgrade **.  Unlike the 7970 Di2 which has no upgrade capabilities.

**(RD-9070, 11-speed cassette, 11-speed compatible hubs and 11-speed chain needed ). 

Congrats Levi.

I went electronic last fall (Shimano Ultegra Di2) and love it!!

Now that the weather is finally getting nice, time to continue my triathlon training outside!!  :-)

George

Levi

« Reply #1127 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:25 pm »
1 oz or 28.35g more and I am out of the 13 lb club.   :thumb:

LadyDog

« Reply #1128 on: 24 Apr 2013, 03:43 pm »
Congrats Levi.  Sure I'll make the move somewhere down the road.  Maybe when costs come down a tad more.  Other than the fantastic shifting, especially the front, the best thing they did was redesign the lever shape.  No more bull horns.

Real easy to drop that extra ounce, and then some.  Get some real wheels - tubulars.       :green:

In all seriousness, imagine it will not take much to hit the sub 13 group.

Been a slow process for myself getting back out.  Amazing how much your arse hurts when you do not consistently ride. 

Stay safe out there all.  Regards.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1129 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:01 am »
@George, you know you can convert your Ultegra Di2 to 11-speed right?  Simply change the rear derailleur to RD-9070 and a firmware upgrade **.  Unlike the 7970 Di2 which has no upgrade capabilities.

**(RD-9070, 11-speed cassette, 11-speed compatible hubs and 11-speed chain needed ).

Thanks Levi.

Given that my bike has only been ridden a handful of times and is such a huge bump up from my previous bike, I am pretty confident that there aren't any upgrades in my immediate future.  But always good to know that an option exists.

George

Levi

« Reply #1130 on: 25 Apr 2013, 01:01 pm »
Thanks Jeff! 

I was thinking about going tubular for climbing and goofing around my local bike club.  What do you suggest? 

My frame does not support internal cabling so I had to deal with external wire setup.  I am just fortunate my bike is black so you will not see cables. 

I am training for the GranFondo New York so been riding all year.  Saddle soar, is simply a pain in the you know what. 

Congrats Levi.  Sure I'll make the move somewhere down the road.  Maybe when costs come down a tad more.  Other than the fantastic shifting, especially the front, the best thing they did was redesign the lever shape.  No more bull horns.

Real easy to drop that extra ounce, and then some.  Get some real wheels - tubulars.       :green:

In all seriousness, imagine it will not take much to hit the sub 13 group.

Been a slow process for myself getting back out.  Amazing how much your arse hurts when you do not consistently ride. 

Stay safe out there all.  Regards.

You are welcome George.  Just make sure your future wheel upgrades are Shimano 11-speed compatible.  The rest will follow.

LadyDog

« Reply #1131 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:55 pm »
Hi Levi,
I'd loved to ride the Fondo some time.  Hear great things about it from a few people I've come to know.

With regards to the wheels, ultimately it may come down to the planned use.  As you mentioned, climbing wheels.  Or are you looking for something a bit more deep dish.

Personally, I think the Lightweights are top-notch.  Though you pay for it. 

Probably my second favorite, is Edge.  Maybe followed by Hyperon's.  The Campy wheels do not have the same zip as some of the others, but a nice solid, very comfortable wheel.  Though a little more portly than the main players. 

Not spent a lot of time on them, but the new Zipp Firecrest's seem to be nice.

Would love to spend some time on MadFiber wheels.  Again, pretty pricey.

Last but not least, I would not shy away from Reynolds.  That is what I have owned the most.  Maybe not on the same playing level as some of the others, but not far behind, and mush easier on the pocket book.

At your weight, and for climbing, a good find would be some Edge 20mm wheels. 

Keep me posted if you start looking.  Regards,, jeff

Levi

« Reply #1132 on: 26 Apr 2013, 03:03 am »
Will do. Thanks again Jeff.

Levi

« Reply #1133 on: 26 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm »

Here is my current setup with the battery relocated on the chain stay.

tvad4

« Reply #1134 on: 9 May 2013, 03:00 am »
This thread should be retitled, "Levi's What I Bought Recently".

jackman

« Reply #1135 on: 9 May 2013, 03:09 am »
I love this thread and enjoy Levi's posts of his new acquisitions. 

Jeff - aren't you due for a new bike soon?  Not that you don't have beautiful bikes but I remember a time when you would buy new bikes like I buy shoes.  Anything new?

I need a new bike but I'm having trouble deciding which one to get.

Cheers

Jack

Levi

« Reply #1136 on: 9 May 2013, 12:43 pm »
I actually have a blog site in the works.  See some sports products that are interesting.  :-)

Polar RC3 GPS

CycleOps PowerCal

OSMO Nutrition

jackman

« Reply #1137 on: 9 May 2013, 01:18 pm »
Levi, cool stuff.  Keep us posted on your blog.  I really enjoy reading about all of your new stuff.  Seeing all of the new stuff you have boutht makes me feel less guilty when I buy something!  Just kidding, it's great to see all of the cool new gear on the market.  Keep us posted on how you like those drink mixes. 

I help develop those things for a living (along with alcoholic beverages, foods, etc.).  It's fun to develop that stuff but most of the things on the market are gimmicks.  In reality, Gatorade spends more on research than all of the other nutritional companies (possibly combined) and simple Gatorade powder is about as good as it gets from a functionality and efficacy standpoint.  It's not sexy but the powder version is still the top choice of my Iron Man (masters in sports nutrition) friend.  It's also the cheapest (unless you make your own). 

I had a chemist whip up a container of mineral salts, the same formula (or very similar) as Gatorade uses.  I put a small scoop in my water bottle and use a little drink mix for flavor (salt water tastes bad).  It works great but I'm running low.  Need to get a recharge!

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #1138 on: 9 May 2013, 05:24 pm »
Thanks Jack.  I've done several reviews on new products.  However, we are still playing around with the host.  Currently, it is at Wordpress but we need further customization to the site.

As far as nutrition goes, what works for me may or may not work for anybody.  The OSMO active hydration is worth a try @$20.  It only requires 2 scoops (2-4tbs) for a 16oz bottle so it is really economical to use.  The taste is on the light side of strong.  I used it on my GranFondo training which is 100+ miles and 8,900+ feet of climbing.  No cramping whatsoever.  You do need to eat because that is all it does is hydrate.

Note this is a super easy pace...I only burned 1,400 calories.   :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #1139 on: 9 May 2013, 05:33 pm »
Hi Levi,
Thanks!  For the record, I spoke with my nutritional expert friend. The label for that stuff is not compliant with FDA standards.  It also contains lots of bicarbonate which can give you the runs.   Standard Gatorade should work better and it's a lot cheaper.   My friend worked for Gatorade for years and is an expert I this area.  He is a beverage developer for a major company and has done several iron man competitions including the recent works championships and he's doing Kona this year.  He's a time trial racer and is a demon on the bike.  Intrus his opinion. 

There is more snake oil in the nutritional supplement industry than in the audio world. 

Cheers

Jack