Bicycling On-the-Road

coke

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #140 on: 28 Jul 2010, 06:14 pm »
Not for anything but the 500 is very easy to unmount and swap to another bike.  If you only ride bikes, I'd go with the 500.  Don't know why you would need one for a dirtbike or a fourwheeler but it works well for bikes.  For the money, it's pretty cool.

It's fun to know max speed, average speed, lap times, etc....  The trail is a little to narrow to pass safely on 4wheelers, so knowing lap times is also a safer way to race.

Here's a quick video showing part of one of our fourwheeler / mountain bike tracks.  Doesn't look that fast in the video, but we're probably 60+ mph on some of the straights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LRZt8cTqg

charmerci

« Reply #141 on: 28 Jul 2010, 08:27 pm »
Re: Cadence

Don't forget. You need to do both a long steady cadence to build up endurance and short intense bursts (there are more informational articles out there on training than in my head) to build power.

Phil,
Those guys who tell you you need to keep such a steady cadence are anal. Unless you're training to race and win, just have fun.

charlie

charmerci

« Reply #142 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:08 pm »
I love bike touring in Switzerland. (Fortunately, I have a friend there that I can stay with.) Here's a shot in Italy just on the other side of the border. (Yes, we rode up from the town below.)

There are more photos on my blog entry when I did it last September. Going down the switchbacks was really fun.

http://charmerci.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-arrived-in-bern-on-2nd.html

JoshK

« Reply #143 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:25 am »
Well as an effort to force myself into fitness dedication, I bought a roadie.   I can only hit the off-road on the weekends as it is too far to travel after getting home after 7:30 before sun down.  Now the oanis is on him to keep up with me.

The new ride:  Cannondale CAAD 9 5.  Charcoal with red and white.

Went for a ride just a bit ago through JC into Liberty State Park.  A variation on our standard ride.  John's bike computer put it at 14 miles, but mapmyride put it at 10.4.  I am thinking the computer is wrong.  Just about an hour, given the amount of traffic and street lights to content with and given it was my first ride on this bike, I'd think its a starting point.

The new ride is WAY faster than my MTB on road.   It feels like it weighs half as much, but i am guessing its more like 20lbs vs 29lbs.  It is way way way more responsive on the road, which makes it much easier to avoid the crappy details of JC's roads. 

To end the ride, there is a pretty steep switch back climb, that I did without stopping.  Given the lack of shape I am in, I am happy with that.  Little victories. 

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/nj/jersey%20city/900128061942984930

PhilNYC

« Reply #144 on: 1 Aug 2010, 11:34 am »
Congrats on the new wheels!

I suspect that the bike computer is miscalibrated...

Give me a shout when you want to try stretching out on a longer road ride...the roads around me are great! 8)

LadyDog

« Reply #145 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm »
Congrats on the new bike Josh.  Seems like you enjoyed the ride.

Nice pick-up too, the Cad 9's is one of the better aluminum frames made.

PhilNYC

« Reply #146 on: 1 Aug 2010, 05:26 pm »
A photo from the Rocket Ride out of Nyack, NY this morning (stopped at a traffic light...one of the few that we actually stopped at!):

Photo was taken from about the mid-point of the peloton (ie. about the same number of riders behind me as there are in this photo).  Avg speed on the flats for this group was about 27mph....total ride was 50 miles...

Here is the route (mapped out starting from near my house to include getting to the point where I joined the peloton):

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nj/closter/223128068305889881

LadyDog

« Reply #147 on: 1 Aug 2010, 05:41 pm »
Great picture Phil.  Wish the riding groups around here +/- 70 people it them.

JoshK

« Reply #148 on: 2 Aug 2010, 01:54 am »
Wanted to ask you roadies about shoes.   I just got a cheap pair of MTB SPD pedals for the Cannondale, but may consider investing in seperate shoes/pedals for the road.    What kind of pedals do you guys use?  Are they called SPD-SL? 

Obviously, I know nothing about them other than the LBS guys told me there were different shoes/pedals for road biking.  My MTB shoes/pedals are SIDI/Shimano XT Deore.  I am just using the SIDI shoes and cheap SPD pedals but I think there just isn't as much support, so I am considering at some point investing in the shoes.

I did another 5 miles or so tonight, with a mild climb.  Just getting the feels of the new bike.  I really like how it handles.  But you feel everything, unlike riding the MTB on the road. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #149 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:31 am »
I am currently using Time RXS Carbon pedals.  Love the clip-in action and the platform...however, I will be switching shortly to Look Keo 2 Max Carbon pedals.  The problem with the Time system is that the cleats are not very durable, and replacement cleats are expensive ($40/pair).

Am using Sidi Genius 5 shoes and like them very much because I have narrow feet....

Have tried Speedplay pedals but did not like them very much...they don't have a very big contact platform and they feel like you are on ice-skates imho....

Don_S

« Reply #150 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:22 am »
Josh,

Don't be in too much of a hurry to spend your money.  Take your time and get it right.  I know a surprising number of roadies who use MTB shoes and SPD pedals on their road bikes.  For those riders the most common shoe seems to be the Sidi Dominator mountain version.  They are good for riding and better for walking than the roadie shoes/cleats.

It must be a good combo because that is what I ride.  My three bikes (MTB, road, and bent) all have the same pedals. One pair of shoes could do it all but I defer to an older pair of Dominators for dirty work. The Dominators also come in a "mega" model which is wider.  That may account for some popularity. That is what won my heart and feet.

Pedal pressure is not just a function of cleat style or surface area.  The stiffness of the shoe sole is a major factor.  I think that is why the Dominators are so popular.  I don't feel pressure when I stand to climb.

Lyndon

« Reply #151 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:24 am »
The problem with the Time system is that the cleats are not very durable, and replacement cleats are expensive
Couldn't agree with you more, Phil. It irks me that both the cleats on my Time/Atac and my favorite, Crank Bros. are made of some type of soft brass alloy.  You pay that much for a pedal system, and they do that to you??? I've got some Shimano cleats that I've had for years, and they have not worn down.
I've just been immersed for the last hour reading about IGH (internal gear hub) systems.
Rohloff Speed hubs are just too dear, but Shimano is releasing a new 11 speed model this October.  A lot of MtB'ers, commuters, and touring people are getting excited.
Lyndon

jackman

« Reply #152 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:57 pm »
Wanted to ask you roadies about shoes.   I just got a cheap pair of MTB SPD pedals for the Cannondale, but may consider investing in seperate shoes/pedals for the road.    What kind of pedals do you guys use?  Are they called SPD-SL? 

Obviously, I know nothing about them other than the LBS guys told me there were different shoes/pedals for road biking.  My MTB shoes/pedals are SIDI/Shimano XT Deore.  I am just using the SIDI shoes and cheap SPD pedals but I think there just isn't as much support, so I am considering at some point investing in the shoes.

I did another 5 miles or so tonight, with a mild climb.  Just getting the feels of the new bike.  I really like how it handles.  But you feel everything, unlike riding the MTB on the road.

Congrats on the new bike!  Cannondale CAAD9's have a well deserved cult-like following and are one of the best aluminum frames you can get. 

Regarding the shoes (please keep in mind, you should always try them on to see which ones work best for you), I like Sidi shoes.  I currently have Sidi Genius 5.5's and they work very well for me.  They are stiff, comfortable and all of the key parts are replaceable (heel, strap, buckle, etc.).  They are made in Italy and they fit me well.  If you have wide feet, Sidi makes a wide version (same name, Mega version).  Probikekit.com has lots of sizes and styles, but I prefer to buy locally because it's important to try them on first.  Once you have your size down, replacements from PBK are a good option.

For pedals, most people I know fall into two camps, Look and Speedplay.  There are a couple Time and Shimano users but 90% of the people I know use Look or Speedplay.  I have Look Keo Sprints and love they way they perform.  They are weighted and easy to clip into and the cleats are relatively inexpensive, and they offer two degrees of float.  Most of my friends love (and use) Speedplay pedals. They also offer float, are durable and they have dual entry (you can clip into them from both sides, like mountainbike pedals). 

Road pedals are better for road cycling, especially after you start to ride longer distances (50+ miles) because they have a wider platform (less likely to give you hot spots on your feet) and give you better power transfer.  Road shoes are great for riding (stiff and lightweight with good ventilation) but difficult to walk in, compared to MTB shoes.  Also, most road pedals (time, look, shimano, etc.) have single side entry, you can only clip in on one side. Speedplay is the only exception, their pedals allow you to clip in on both sides of the pedal.

Once you start putting a lot of time in the saddle, you may want to look at getting a saddle that fits you properly.  If the stock saddle fits the bill, consider yourself lucky.  The saddle that came with my Trek was a cheap throw-away.  I tested everything and wound up with a Fizik Arione and like it a lot.  Saddles are a personal choice and everyone's preference is different.  You might want to find a shop that lets you test different models to see which one works for you. Fizik and Specialized have good test programs with local shops. 

Good luck with the new bike!  Road cycling is a lot of fun and very addictive.  Once you get your bike fit dialed in, I suspect you will have a blast.  Off-road biking is fun, but going FAST on a road bike is a different kind of fun.

Cheers,

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #153 on: 3 Aug 2010, 02:03 pm »
Punched out another 13 miles last night.   Found a very good loop in Liberty State Park along the bridge next to the SOL and Ellis Island. 

Thing about riding in JC is riding through the city is a bit nerve racking.  I am not so stressed about the cars as I am the pedestrians and people getting out of their cars.  I've had pedestrians step off the curb right in front of me without even looking. 

I clipped a guy in Hoboken on the bike path.  He was walking in the bike path, not watching where he was going.  I went to go around him and he turned and stepped into me.   Fortunately, his forearm just clipped mine and noone was hurt. 

I've almost got taken out by a car door opening too.  Wish there were more bike friendly places to ride around JC without driving out somewhere.  JC is not bike friendly, but there is an effort to change that.

charmerci

« Reply #154 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:14 pm »

Thing about riding in JC is riding through the city is a bit nerve racking.  I am not so stressed about the cars as I am the pedestrians and people getting out of their cars.  I've had pedestrians step off the curb right in front of me without even looking. 

I've almost got taken out by a car door opening too.  Wish there were more bike friendly places to ride around JC without driving out somewhere.  JC is not bike friendly, but there is an effort to change that.

I've been cycling in Paris for a long while. They don't open the car doors in your path - but you can sure bet that they step in front of you without looking.

What I do now is scan everything and anyone - I assume that every person will step out in front of me (I pass hundreds of them daily - especially since they stupidly put some of the bike paths on the sidewalks!!! Switzerland does bike paths the best, by far) as well as assume that every car will turn in front of me or stop suddenly. Trust me, with practice, you can get better.
Good luck!!!

It will be nice to return back to the West in the fall - riding wise.

charlie

bunnyma357

« Reply #155 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:38 pm »
I agree that you have to assume all car doors will open in front of you, and all people will walk in front of you. While commuting I found the most dangerous spots to be schools where parents were dropping off or picking up kids. The parents  behave like psychotic homicidal maniacs.

Another trend I noticed is that you can judge the angst of drivers by the time of day, a road that is safe at 8am will be filled with aggressive drivers at 8:55 trying to get to work on time. And a road that typically has courteous drivers in the morning, will have totally reckless and aggressive drivers in the evening after they've spent several hours fighting traffic.

Jim C

Don_S

« Reply #156 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:50 pm »
It is also prudent to assume you really cannot be seen.   :no_see:

I ride so I am very considerate and wary of bike riders.  I almost took a rider out while pulling out of a parking lot.  There were cars parked on the street and some of them were SUVs and vans. The rider was riding close to the parked vehicles.  I looked at traffic very closelly but literally did not see the the rider until he got to a point where there was only a mere car parked. That was enough warning for me to stop but I still got a dirty look because I was out a little too far.

The point is I was being careful but road conditions prevented me from seeing the rider.  Same thing happened in a cross walk that had a bus parked next to it.  I could not see the pedestrians until they cleared the front of the bus. 

Lesson for the day:  Just because you can see them, does not mean they can see you and the flip/flop of that.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2010, 12:18 am by Don_S »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #157 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:16 am »
I've only put in a few hundred miles of commuting, but I thank God every time I get to work or get back home - without a close call.  It's hard for me to go a week without a close call or even two, and I only ride twice a week, max.  Last thing that happened to me, I was lane splitting with a bus on the right and clipped a side view mirror at the very end - went down in front of the car.  Luckily, they were stopped at the intersection.

JoshK

« Reply #158 on: 4 Aug 2010, 01:30 pm »
I definitely ride with the same assumption.  I was just ranting.  Pedestrians in the city as sometimes completely clueless. 

charmerci

« Reply #159 on: 4 Aug 2010, 03:20 pm »
I definitely ride with the same assumption.  I was just ranting.  Pedestrians in the city as sometimes completely clueless.

Clueless - a euphemism for stupid!  :lol: