Bicycling On-the-Road

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #120 on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:55 am »
Denver has just implemented one of the coolest biking ideas I've seen (for non "serious" bikers).  $5 gets you a day-long rental at a large number of biking "kiosks".  You pull your bike out, pedal to where you want to go, and lock your bike back into the local kiosk.  When you are ready to leave, you just unhook the bike that's at the kiosk and pedal it back to your destination.  For people like me (with no place to store a bike), it's a god-send.

BikeWNC

« Reply #121 on: 28 Jul 2010, 01:31 am »
Got out for some climbing intervals this evening and finished up at 6000' elevation.  Here's a pic from the top.   :)

JoshK

« Reply #122 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:51 am »
Man that is gorgeous!

Today I went for a ride with my friend/neighbor and managed to forget to zip my litttle under the seat bag and loose my wallet.  :duh:  Hours later I filed a police report and cancelled all my cards.   Did manage to do two laps up and down the 14th St viaduct which is probably 1/3 mile long* and 300' tall, in addition to a loop around Hoboken (1 mile square).  Not exactly a century ride, but still got the old heart rate up.

Loving the bike.  Need to tune the gears already.  Front disc rubbing a bit and rear derailler not quite tuned right.  Guess I stressed the cables some on my off-road ride.

Part of me thinks I would have had more fun on a 69er. (wouldn't we all?  :icon_twisted:)  Can't ride a wheelie too easily on a 29er and I used to be damn good on a 26er.  I could also endo hop quite a bit on a 26er.  (don't know the right lingo). 

*Bing say its 0.7miles...haven't done the elevation yet.

PhilNYC

« Reply #123 on: 28 Jul 2010, 10:53 am »
Good job on the ride, Josh!  Although that sucks about the wallet...I've definitely lost a lot of stuff from my saddle bag because of forgetting to zip it up, which is why I now only put some cash, 1 credit card and an ID in it when I ride (rather than my whole wallet).

How long did the ride take you to do?

charmerci

« Reply #124 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:06 am »
Got out for some climbing intervals this evening and finished up at 6000' elevation.

That's one of my favorite areas in the east!  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #125 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:15 am »
Got out for some climbing intervals this evening and finished up at 6000' elevation.  Here's a pic from the top.   :)

That must be a fun ride down!

JoshK

« Reply #126 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:53 pm »
I have to get a bike computer so I know how far and how fast.   I wasn't really watching as I had to go by the police station and report my wallet missing.

PhilNYC

« Reply #127 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:57 pm »
Here's a good web site that allows you to map out your routes and determine mileage and elevation/total ascent:

www.mapmyride.com

jackman

« Reply #128 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:15 pm »
Josh,

Congrats on getting the bike out for a longer ride.  Bigger wheel bikes (like your 29") are faster rolling but with a higher center of gravity, more difficult to ride a wheely compared to a 26" mtb or a smaller BMX bike.  It's a tradeoff but a good one because the larger wheel bike will be easier to ride longer distances. 

Sorry to hear about the wallet.  I have several bike computers (Cateye wireless, Cateye with cadence, etc.) and absolutely love my Garmin Edge 500.  It measures HR, cadence, temp, altitude (has barometric altimeter built in), HR zones, moving average speed, and is compatible with Ant+ devices, i.e., Powertap, and is a GPS.  Best of all, you just plug it in to your computer after a ride and it downloads data and tracks it on the Garmin site.  I picked mine up at Probikekit.com for $249 with wireless cadence upgrade and HR monitor but you can get the one without HR and cadence for under $200 at PBK.  It will work with most existing HR monitors and you can always get the cadence function separately at a later date if you wish.  It also tracks your speed via GPS and shows a map of everywhere you ride.  All you have to do is plug it in and hit the "Upload" button to upload data.  You can even see a sattelite view on Google Maps of where you traveled.  Here is my training ride from last night.  Too much traffice slowing us down but the readout should give you an idea as to what the little Garmin can do.  I love the Edge 500!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42119744

Bike WNC, WOW!  Beautiful pictures.  You are lucky to live in such a beautiful area with lots of challenging hills.  Where I live, it is flat as a pancake but very windy.  My elevation at the end of a long ride is a joke.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything that measures wind and don't have a powertap to measure watts (yet!).  Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Jack

jackman

« Reply #129 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:35 pm »
Here's a good web site that allows you to map out your routes and determine mileage and elevation/total ascent:

www.mapmyride.com

Phil, cool site.  The little Garmin 500 does that for you and automatically tracks map data, speed, etc. Garminconnect is what makes it so easy.  Very well thought software!

PhilNYC

« Reply #130 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:45 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can use your Garmin 500 with MapMyRide.com as well... :thumb:  They also have an iPhone app that will do what the Garmin stuff does (albeit not as well, and the battery life on the iPhone won't help you on a long ride)....

I've definitely been thinking about getting a Garmin unit.  3 of the guys in my riding group have them (2 have the 705, one has the 500), and they all really like it.  Am trying to decide which one I would want to get...the mapping features on the 705 are pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I want to get something that distracts me too much from enjoying the ride.  Also, the 500 is a newer unit and reported has more accurate altitude/climb measuring.

Am going to wait to see if Garmin introduces any new products at Interbike in September before deciding....

jackman

« Reply #131 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:52 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can use your Garmin 500 with MapMyRide.com as well... :thumb:  They also have an iPhone app that will do what the Garmin stuff does (albeit not as well, and the battery life on the iPhone won't help you on a long ride)....

I've definitely been thinking about getting a Garmin unit.  3 of the guys in my riding group have them (2 have the 705, one has the 500), and they all really like it.  Am trying to decide which one I would want to get...the mapping features on the 705 are pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I want to get something that distracts me too much from enjoying the ride.  Also, the 500 is a newer unit and reported has more accurate altitude/climb measuring.

Am going to wait to see if Garmin introduces any new products at Interbike in September before deciding....

Good idea!  I like the 500 because it's compact and easy to use.  The 705 has more functions (GPS directions) but is large and expensive.  If you have a wireless cadence unit and HR monitor, you can get the 500 for under $200 if you shop around.  I wish I bought this before spending over $100 on several Cateye computers.  The Cateye computers work well but they only track basic things like speed and cadence, etc.  The Garmin is way more useful and it works with a powertap (ant+).  I'm looking for a used powertap (hopefully after Interpbike). 

PhilNYC

« Reply #132 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:18 pm »
I have this cadence debate with some of my cycling buddies.  I used to have a cadence monitor on my old bike computer, but when that computer broke, I replaced it with one that didn't have cadence on it.  My rational was that after riding as much as I have,  I feel like I've got a pretty good sense of what my cadence is...and that every time I would look at my cadence monitor, it would usually be within +/-3 of what I expect it to be.  In general, I am able to get into a very nice rhythm at about an 85rpm cadence and know pretty much how that feels, adjusting my gearing accordingly to get me into that rhythm on various gradients.  So I thought "why spend the extra money for cadence if everytime I look at it, it's around the same number that I would expect it to be?"  My buddies think that it's important to have the cadence number as a guide/target, and that my "+/-3rpms" isn't accurate enough...

I suspect that if I ever got a power meter, I'd be more interested in cadence...but I'm not sure if I want to invest in the $2K+ that a power meter costs, let alone change my wheel or cranks to power meter-compatible products.  That said, using power meter and heart rate for training is probably the most useful set of tools for improving performance without a doubt.  Maybe if I was younger and racing I could justify it... :(

coke

« Reply #133 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:10 pm »
Josh,

Congrats on getting the bike out for a longer ride.  Bigger wheel bikes (like your 29") are faster rolling but with a higher center of gravity, more difficult to ride a wheely compared to a 26" mtb or a smaller BMX bike.  It's a tradeoff but a good one because the larger wheel bike will be easier to ride longer distances. 

Sorry to hear about the wallet.  I have several bike computers (Cateye wireless, Cateye with cadence, etc.) and absolutely love my Garmin Edge 500.  It measures HR, cadence, temp, altitude (has barometric altimeter built in), HR zones, moving average speed, and is compatible with Ant+ devices, i.e., Powertap, and is a GPS.  Best of all, you just plug it in to your computer after a ride and it downloads data and tracks it on the Garmin site.  I picked mine up at Probikekit.com for $249 with wireless cadence upgrade and HR monitor but you can get the one without HR and cadence for under $200 at PBK.  It will work with most existing HR monitors and you can always get the cadence function separately at a later date if you wish.  It also tracks your speed via GPS and shows a map of everywhere you ride.  All you have to do is plug it in and hit the "Upload" button to upload data.  You can even see a sattelite view on Google Maps of where you traveled.  Here is my training ride from last night.  Too much traffice slowing us down but the readout should give you an idea as to what the little Garmin can do.  I love the Edge 500!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42119744

Bike WNC, WOW!  Beautiful pictures.  You are lucky to live in such a beautiful area with lots of challenging hills.  Where I live, it is flat as a pancake but very windy.  My elevation at the end of a long ride is a joke.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything that measures wind and don't have a powertap to measure watts (yet!).  Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Jack

I've been using cateye products on my mountain and road bikes.  I could never justify spending the money on a GPS. After seeing your post though, I think I might get one.  Leaning toward the forerunner 305.

:thumb:

jackman

« Reply #134 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:17 pm »
I have this cadence debate with some of my cycling buddies.  I used to have a cadence monitor on my old bike computer, but when that computer broke, I replaced it with one that didn't have cadence on it.  My rational was that after riding as much as I have,  I feel like I've got a pretty good sense of what my cadence is...and that every time I would look at my cadence monitor, it would usually be within +/-3 of what I expect it to be.  In general, I am able to get into a very nice rhythm at about an 85rpm cadence and know pretty much how that feels, adjusting my gearing accordingly to get me into that rhythm on various gradients.  So I thought "why spend the extra money for cadence if everytime I look at it, it's around the same number that I would expect it to be?"  My buddies think that it's important to have the cadence number as a guide/target, and that my "+/-3rpms" isn't accurate enough...

I suspect that if I ever got a power meter, I'd be more interested in cadence...but I'm not sure if I want to invest in the $2K+ that a power meter costs, let alone change my wheel or cranks to power meter-compatible products.  That said, using power meter and heart rate for training is probably the most useful set of tools for improving performance without a doubt.  Maybe if I was younger and racing I could justify it... :(

Hi Phil,

I'm relatively new to road cycling (just got a bike in August) and looking for every edge possible because my group is very fast.  I have a problem with cadence because I tend to grind big gears and stomp on the pedals.  Higher cadence helps me save my legs from burning out too early and helps me ride more efficiently.  The data from my last ride is deceptive because I was drafting another rider and pushing a big gear makes it easier for me to maintain a constant speed without crashing into the other rider.  That's why my cadence looks so choppy on the ride.  Hopefully with more practice I can develop the consistency you have.  Without a meter, I tend to revert to my bad habits - low cadence.

Cadence monitors are inexpensive, my old wired Cateye computer was about $40 bucks at Performance and worked well.  This Garmin is a completely different animal.  It has a barometric altimeter, tracks temp, cadence, HR, speed, maps, and gives it to you automatically on the Garmin site.  Lots of riders in my group have Powertaps and power meters.  They are pretty expensive if you buy they new and probably not necessary for non-racers, but used ones can be affordable.  I'm looking for a used wireless or even a wired unit. 

jackman

« Reply #135 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:19 pm »

I've been using cateye products on my mountain and road bikes.  I could never justify spending the money on a GPS. After seeing your post though, I think I might get one.  Leaning toward the forerunner 305.

:thumb:

The Forerunner 305 is great if you bike and run.  The 500 is bike specific and not useful for runners.  I have a Forerunner 305 in perfect condition on loan from a friend who just picked up a 500.  It might be for sale if you are interested (need to check with my friend first).  It has HR strap, charger, and everything it came with.  I've had it for months and used it once.   I'll check with my friend to see if he wants to sell it if anyone is interested. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #136 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:20 pm »
Have you seen this power meter?

http://www.ibikesports.com/

They say it's accurate to within 10% of a PowerTap, but it's less than $500...have heard of durability issues, tho...still, a very cool idea/take on power meter devices...

coke

« Reply #137 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:10 pm »
The Forerunner 305 is great if you bike and run.  The 500 is bike specific and not useful for runners.  I have a Forerunner 305 in perfect condition on loan from a friend who just picked up a 500.  It might be for sale if you are interested (need to check with my friend first).  It has HR strap, charger, and everything it came with.  I've had it for months and used it once.   I'll check with my friend to see if he wants to sell it if anyone is interested.

I don't run much, but I ride dirtbikes and fourwheelers in addition to mountain and road bikes.  It seems like the 305 with the quick release strap and bike mounts would be easiest for me.

jackman

« Reply #138 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:44 pm »
Have you seen this power meter?

http://www.ibikesports.com/

They say it's accurate to within 10% of a PowerTap, but it's less than $500...have heard of durability issues, tho...still, a very cool idea/take on power meter devices...

Very cool.  I am not familiar with that unit but will keep watching.  I'm also not a good early adapter because I like to buy after knowing more about the product.  Lots' of my friends use Powertap units so I know they work and they are durable.  A bit heavy and a PITA because you need to build the hub into a wheel or buy one already built but they work well.   Also, I have seen used ones for around $500.  That's the direction I'm leaning.

Cheers,

Jack

jackman

« Reply #139 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm »
I don't run much, but I ride dirtbikes and fourwheelers in addition to mountain and road bikes.  It seems like the 305 with the quick release strap and bike mounts would be easiest for me.

Not for anything but the 500 is very easy to unmount and swap to another bike.  If you only ride bikes, I'd go with the 500.  Don't know why you would need one for a dirtbike or a fourwheeler but it works well for bikes.  For the money, it's pretty cool.