Whos' getting Halo 3?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Whos' getting Halo 3?
« on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:53 am »
Who's getting Halo 3?

I am not sure it will even be available in the stores if you did not pre-order (I didn't).

And Rob, are you finally going to get that XBox now that you are back home and prices are pretty decent?

IronLion

Re: Whos' getting Halo 3?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:56 am »
I should be getting Halo 3 either tomorrow or the day after, I pre-ordered it on EBworld.com with overnight shipping thown in.  The horrible part is, I was playing Bioshock about two weeks ago exactly and I was about to beat the game when out of nowhere, I get the three red lights of death.  In an instant my Xbox 360 became a useless hunk of plastic.  Fortunately Microsoft is aware of this problem (which apparently affects earlier units off the production line) and I sent it out for them to fix for free, but it will take 2-4 weeks for them to fix it!  Just my luck, as Halo 3 is basically the game I bought the 360 for in the first place...

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007, 03:00 am »
 :banghead:

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2007, 03:03 am »
We'll have it tonight at Midnight...getting to be a ritual for my son and I with Halo releases....he prepaid the legends(?) edition...

Toka

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:13 pm »
I have a limited edition waiting for me at home...of course, I just read that the limited edition cases have problems with discs coming loose/getting scratched.  :duh: Man oh man...

IronLion

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:22 pm »
Not to worry, just use some Auric Illuminator or other CD enhancement product and not only will the disc work fine, but your accuracy and headshot percentage will go up by 3-5%.  I might be making that up...

I have a limited edition waiting for me at home...of course, I just read that the limited edition cases have problems with discs coming loose/getting scratched.  :duh: Man oh man...

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:35 pm »
I have to wait for our first R&R off the island before I can get the 360 and Halo3.  That will be in December.  I don't trust the pouch right now, the Cubalse is holding pouches for all dips in Havana, not just us Yanks.  I hope my Oppo comes through OK.  I ordered it before the stall in shipments.
I have started again on Halo 2 though.  Though the graphics on the old x is not worthy of the 360.  I do miss it.

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2007, 03:03 pm »
I think it will be a Christmas gift to myself... a 360 plus Halo 3 and Bioshock, Gears of War...
I druel waiting to play these games...
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:00 pm »
and I sent it out for them to fix for free, but it will take 2-4 weeks for them to fix it! 
Take it to WalMart for an even exchange. You'll be up and running in less than an hour. aa
I've done it twice.  :roll:

Bob

IronLion

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:03 pm »
I've considered/am considering this.  I generally hate to buy with the intent to return, but...I might have to make an exception in this case. 

A friend of mine recently had his 360 repaired by Microsoft, and he said they had it shipped out to him 3 days after they received it.  I know they received my 360 yesterday as I tracked it, so...I think I can hold out...

and I sent it out for them to fix for free, but it will take 2-4 weeks for them to fix it! 
Take it to WalMart for an even exchange. You'll be up and running in less than an hour. aa
I've done it twice.  :roll:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:23 pm »
Yea, you should be back in business in a few days. Did you have to pay shipping?
I'd hate the idea of shipping electronics. The units take too many hits during transport. Only to arrive at the doctor to have some hamfisted tech dig in there, possibly messing something else up (weaken) that won't show up until later down the road.
Plus, the advantage of a brick and mortar exchange is that you get a newer generation unit.  aa

Let us know how Halo3 turns out. I'm interested in it.

Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:32 pm »
I think Microsoft is supposed to release an updated version of the XBOX 360 very soon. Yes? Id wait for the new cooler running version.
Mike

IronLion

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:36 pm »
Did you have to pay shipping?

Nope, luckily (?), this problem is fairly commonplace so Microsoft has set it up so that if you own a 360 that was manufactured within a certain time window (they can tell by your serial number), they repair it for absolutely free even if your warranty is expired.  They sent me a box via UPS 3 day shipping with a custom foam mold for the 360 to fit into and UPS 3 day postage back to Microsoft for repairs.  Very good customer service on this, although arguably this three red lights problem should have been addressed before they released it...

Woodsea

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2007, 08:11 pm »
They have released an updated 360.  It has a smaller CPU die cast and more coolant fins.  Maybe some other things as well.  Should be a safer bet, at least it will be for me, I am buggin for a 360 again.  I would say next year they will add a smaller die cast GPU (most of the heat source) and internal HDDVD. 
Make sure whichever one you buy has HDMI output  :wink:

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:53 am »
Well I got it last night from a deserted CompUSA. PLayed the campain for a couple hours and multiplayer for about an hour. It is different than halo 2 - for example picking up weapons and how many/type you can have is different - the multiplayer has more types of gaaes/lobbies/parties.

Looks really good so far, not sure yet what will be better than Halo 2 which is pretty tough to beat IMO. Hopefully network playing field will be more level than in Halo 2

Woodsea

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:57 am »
Nice, man sometimes I wish a best buy was just around the corner