New Arrivals

jsalk

New Arrivals
« on: 17 Apr 2017, 07:54 pm »
We just updated our web site with three new models (one of which has been in production for a few months although we never "officially" announced it).

Song3-A

First up, the Song3-A.  This is basically a Song3 with an upgraded Accuton midrange.  Here are some pictures...

We will be showing this pair at AXPONA 2017 (April 21 - 23 in Chicago) in room 408 with Schiit Audio.  We chose a white version of the Satori woofer for this design, although it is available in black as well.  This speaker was done in Hawaiian koa with a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish.  Here is a close-up...

Song3 Encore

Next up, we have the Song3 Encore.  This version started with the new 9.5" Satori woofer.  After Satori announced this woofer, we waited about six months for it to become available and picked up the first pair we could get our hands on. 

As long as we were looking to utilize a new woofer, we thought we'd take a look at the new Eton midrange from Germany as well.  We had heard a lot about this driver and all the reports turned out to be true.  The cone material is magnesium, but Eton laser cut a series of holes in the cone and back-coat it to reduce cone resonance.  It worked.  Here is a a close-up of the midrange and tweeter...

Here is a picture of the speaker as a whole...

These were done in curly walnut with an espresso dye.

We will be introducing this model at AXPONA 2017 in the State Room on the Lower Level.  We will be showing with Exogal, Wells Audio, Gingko Audio, Jack Bybee and Dana Cables.

SongSurround Plus

Finally, we have the SongSurround Plus.  A customer described his ideal speaker and it sounded a lot like the PowerPlay Monitors we introduced to a positive reception at AXPONA last year.  So we thought we should do a version of the same speaker, but with passive crossovers. 

Here is a picture of the resulting speaker...

We'd love to have a pair of these to bring to AXPONA, but this is the first production pair we just finished for a customer.  So we'll have to build another demo pair for a future show.  All I can say is they sound almost exactly like the PowerPlay Monitors which we love.

Happy listening...

- Jim

Big Red Machine

Re: New Arrivals
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2017, 08:13 pm »
Did the Encore get taller, or just wider?

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2017, 08:57 pm »
Did the Encore get taller, or just wider?

Just wider (11.5").

- Jim

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2017, 09:20 pm »
Jim, it appears you're using the beryllium tweeter with the Encores??  As always the cabinets are ridiculously beautiful!!  :thumb:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2017, 10:12 pm »
Nice, Jim!

Will visit both rooms you mentioned this weekend. BTW, what is the price tag on Encore's? The Eton drivers are rather pricey...

Art

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2017, 03:04 am »
"Hawaiian koa with a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish"

Whoa...That hits my happy place.  :D

How much extra time does such a finish add to the wait time (assuming a 'standard' Song3 cabinet)?

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2017, 03:52 am »
Nice. I'd love to hear the Eton's. No one uses them :roll:, till now :icon_lol:

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm »
Nice, Jim!

Will visit both rooms you mentioned this weekend. BTW, what is the price tag on Encore's? The Eton drivers are rather pricey...

Art

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3+Encore

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2017, 04:23 pm »
"Hawaiian koa with a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish"

Whoa...That hits my happy place.  :D

How much extra time does such a finish add to the wait time (assuming a 'standard' Song3 cabinet)?

About a week.

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2017, 10:45 am »
Hi Jim,

How does the Song 3-A sound compared with your HT3 speakers? Looks like a bargain at the asking price.

Cheers Rod

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:04 am »
Hi Jim,

How does the Song 3-A sound compared with your HT3 speakers? Looks like a bargain at the asking price.

Cheers Rod

I'm guessing you'd want to ask that about the Encore version vs. HT3.

JDoyle

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2017, 12:28 am »
Jim, it appears you're using the beryllium tweeter with the Encores??  As always the cabinets are ridiculously beautiful!!  :thumb:

Johnzel, is the Encore the same as what you ordered? (Your "Beats")

Thx!

johzel

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2017, 12:44 am »
Johnzel, is the Encore the same as what you ordered? (Your "Beats")

Thx!

No.  My bass driver is the regular 7.5" Satori woofer.  And my midrange is the Audio Technology driver detailed in this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125934.0  Same beryllium tweeter however.  Price wise, mine are positioned between the Song3-A's and the Encores. 

laulau

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2017, 06:34 pm »
Love that Hawaiian Koa.  It's a highly cherished wood in my neck of the woods.

hearditontheX

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2017, 12:41 pm »
deleted

DEP14

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2017, 08:16 pm »
That Hawaiian Koa is way cool.

Wonder what it would look like with a color over the top... though I love it in that color.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2017, 09:07 pm »
So hows the Encore 3 sound? Anyone get a chance to listen to them yet? Do you like that new magnesium mid?

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2017, 09:38 pm »
Does the Eton come in black?  The white is out of place with the other black drivers.

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2017, 12:12 pm »
Does the Eton come in black?  The white is out of place with the other black drivers.

It does not.  The options are magnesium cones with black or white dots (back coating showing through holes in the cone).

- Jim

hearditontheX

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2017, 01:38 pm »
More good words for the Song3-A from audio-head, http://audio-head.com/schiit-audios-vidar-and-other-2-channel-musings/.