Is anyone running a Zen 84C with the TS3 or Super 3? NT

JumboJimbo

NT

taketwo

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2004, 10:52 pm »
I've tried the Zen 84B and even the Berning Microzotl on the TS3 and Super 3. Personally I find the 1w - 1.5w on those things not enough to power those speakers to satisfying levels for me. And my room is small. I suspect the minimum you would need is at least 3w like the Sun Audio 2A3. Of course if you listen at lower volumes I think they should still be alright but you will loose out on dynamics and run out of steam more easily. I think you should go for the newer TS33 instead which was designed to match the Zen 84 in the first place.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2004, 10:26 am »
JJ,

A Decware SE84 amp and Omega TS3 or Super 3 would be a very sweet bedroom or apartment setup.  (Louis, I hope I can convince my wife that we "need" a third audio setup, on top of a HT rig, in the new place.)

A little math here:

Decware SE84C or SE84CS amp = 1.8 wpc = say 3 dB of gain

Two channels =                       3 dB of gain over a single channel

TS3/Super 3 =                       93 dB/w/m

Total =                                  99 dB

Add say another 3 dB for nearfield (within 6 feet) listening in a 2,000 cu. ft. room.  Keep in mind that a dB by itself is a tiny little thing (barely perceivable).  3 dB sounds half again as loud (but takes twice the power to produce) and 10 dB sounds twice as loud (but takes ten times the power to produce).

Most folks listen to 75 - 80 dB average levels.  Jazz can have 15 - 20 dB peaks, classical up to 30 dB peaks (105 dB).  

Grab a sound pressure level meter and find out how loud you listen and what these levels sound like.  Until you have a "feel" for the numbers, they won't mean much to you.

BTW Decware also has a SE84CSX available for $725 new or can modify the SE84C/SE84CS to equivalent that runs HOT to provide 5 wpc and is biased for an 8 ohm load like these and most speakers are nominally rated for.  You would be gaining about 5 dB more but replacing the cheap tubes more often.

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2004, 12:07 pm »
Hi JLM,

I'm just finishing a new set of speakers that can be run in 2 ohm for the Zen. It's a twin driver 4" model a lot like the TS33 but smaller. I think it's going to work out really good. I'm getting it ready to test and this will be next week. I'll have pictures and comments by then. A combined 8mm of Xmax on this one and could have a rear tweeter for ambiance. I have to make up my mind on that. The finish is going to be figured red gum with walnut accents. Can't wait to post a picture.

Thanks again and talk to you soon,
Louis

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2004, 06:20 pm »
Louis,

Is this a new driver?
Sounds like you're getting even fancier with your woodword  8)

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2004, 01:03 pm »
Hi,

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.  :D

The new speaker not yet named could also be a great choice for the Zen amplifier. It's like a TS33 with different drivers. This one can also be configured in 2 ohm, which i've been told the Zen amp really likes.

Thanks again,
Louis

djn

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2004, 03:17 am »
Louis made me a beautiful set of Super 3Rs, and I have enjoyed the hell out of them.  They are my computer speakers and I was driving them with a 300B amp.  I got a Zen 84B the other day from Rosypup and it just sounds fantastic.  The 300B was great, the the 3s and the zen are a combination that will live in infamy.  My next step is to get a good cd instead of using the one in the computer.  Anyway, for the money you can not go wrong with the SuperZen thing!  Cheers.

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2004, 12:11 am »
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a great Labor day weekend.

The new speakers are based on TB 4" drivers. They are 4 ohm and I wire them in series. It's really easy to wire them in parallel to get 2 ohm and I hear the Zen really likes 2 ohm loads too.

The figured red gum is really nice. I like it alot and it's available on all the speakers. I have trying some magnetized grills and they work great. I'm starting to integrate this into all the speakers. I'll have some models in Denver with magnetized grills.

The new reviews are coming out very soon and the first I guess will be Stereophile's November issue. Grande 6s are being reviewed by Sam Tellig. Super 3 and TS33 reviews are sheduled too. Nelson Pass has the TS33 and called to let me know he really liked them with the Aleph 30. It was great talking with him too. Oiginally he was using them with the First watt project and this requires response shaping circuits for bass and mids. These circuits flatten out peaks and help out with bass response. He called to let me know the TS33s didn't need any shaping and it was truly a great compliment from Nelson.

The site needs major work and I will start this very soon. I have to add more content on the new speakers and the new platforms as well.

Hi djn,

Really happy your enjoying the Zen. It's an amazing amp and a great value too.

Thanks again and talk to you soon,
Louis