My HT3 Dilemma

jermmd

My HT3 Dilemma
« on: 9 Nov 2005, 03:33 pm »
My HT3's are almost done but Jim is out of dual binding post plates. I can wait a week-which should be no problem after almost 5 months-or I can go with a single binding post. Since I am not going to biwire, this option is really fine with me. Jim says it's no big deal to swap out the plate and solder for biwiring if I choose to at a later time. Am I making a mistake by going with a single binding post? Will it effect resale value or will I miss the flexibility dual posts offer? After all, what's one more week?

Marbles

My HT3 Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2005, 03:51 pm »
Can you upgrade to the Cardas Patented Binding posts faster?  I would wait, just to have the flexibility of Bi-amping.

ctviggen

My HT3 Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2005, 04:10 pm »
I like the ability to biamp, too, even though you may never use it.  If you can get the Cardas posts, I'd get those.  They are by far the nicest posts.

Gordy

My HT3 Dilemma
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2005, 04:11 pm »
Like you said Joe, what's one more week?  At the last minute I asked Jim to upgrade my caps to the Sonicaps because I knew I would forever suffer from the "what if's" without them!  The HT-3's are keepers and you never know what the future may hold (bi-amping?) so get them the way you want them, the wait is soooo worth it!!!

koiman

My HT3 Dilemma
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2005, 05:18 pm »
jermmd,
Wait the one more week, I did the the same thing as Gordy, I had the Sonic Caps upgrade done at the last minute If I had not done it I would wonder from now on if I did the right thing. It's worth the wait.
Lee :lol:

brj

My HT3 Dilemma
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2005, 05:20 pm »
Hi jermmd.

The purpose of the aluminum plate is to allow a cutout in the back of the speaker cabinet for ease of access in mounting standard length binding posts.  Jim can mount the posts on the plate, attach the wires to the posts while still outside the speaker, and then attach the post/plate assembly to the speaker.  If you wanted to mount standard length posts directly to the veneer covered 3/4" MDF surface that forms the back of the speaker, there would not be enough post extending into the speaker interior for Jim to attach the speaker wire.  If you select a binding post assembly that provides longer posts, however, Jim can mount them directly to the veneered surface without a plate at all.  (I suspect that it still isn't easy for Jim, however, since while the extra length makes wire attachment possible, he is now forced to work within the cabinet through the woofer hole instead of externally.)

I was forced to go this route with my HT3s since I will have my crossovers mounted in external enclosures.  This means that I will have 3 pairs of binding posts on the speaker cabinet itself.  Jim has no plates that accomodate 3 pairs of posts, and I didn't like the idea of a double plate and single plate.  The answer was to use Cardas Patented Binding Posts with the long copper post option.  You might want to consider this option as well.  For reference, there is another long post option for the CPBP, which I think uses Rhodium plating or similar.  I will have the posts on my external crossover enclosures mounted in the same fashion, even though the walls of the external enclosure are thinner than that of the main cabinet.

(It sounds like my pair of HT3s is sharing an almost identical time schedule with yours, all the way from ordering to finishing.  I suspect that my cabinets are finished, but the external crossover enclosures are probably still under construction or in some stage of finishing.  The wait is painful indeed!)

jermmd

My HT3 Dilemma
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2005, 06:39 pm »
Well, I emailed Jim to wait a week and put in standard plate with upgraded Cardas posts. I hope it's not too late. I emailed earlier to go with the single posts. Boy, when you get this close to the finish line, the doubts about upgrades really get hold of you. I'll post when I know what happens.

Thanks,