Bryston SP4

witchdoctor

Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #420 on: 25 Jan 2020, 03:57 pm »
Look how your movies and music are being mixed today in the 2020's. Without an immersive listening room you will NEVER be able to reproduce the artists, directors, or engineers intent. IMO you might as well just use headphones:

Dolby Labs

Dub Stage

Sony Mixing Stage

DTS

Abbey Road Institute

witchdoctor

« Reply #421 on: 25 Jan 2020, 04:08 pm »
All you need to do is setup your listening room properly and hit the play button:

or

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #422 on: 25 Jan 2020, 04:35 pm »
WD,  you've been banging this drum for years around here.  Does anyone even listen to you anymore? Have you made any converts?
You're like the crazy guy on a street corner yelling "the end is near" as the rest of the world walks by. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #423 on: 25 Jan 2020, 05:44 pm »
WD,  you've been banging this drum for years around here.  Does anyone even listen to you anymore? Have you made any converts?
You're like the crazy guy on a street corner yelling "the end is near" as the rest of the world walks by.

I don't know about making converts and yes I am very passionate about immersive audio. If the "rest of the world" is walking by why is Bryston selling so many SP4's?  :scratch:
I started this thread in the hopes of sharing immersive audio experiences with SP4 owners and other members. When the dust clears at the end of the year and the new HDMI standard is released I hope to have enough info for my next upgrade (PJ and Processor).

https://www.reviewed.com/televisions/features/hdmi-20-vs-hdmi-21-whats-the-difference-and-which-do-i-need

gbaby

« Reply #424 on: 25 Jan 2020, 06:13 pm »
I don't know about making converts and yes I am very passionate about immersive audio. If the "rest of the world" is walking by why is Bryston selling so many SP4's?  :scratch:
I started this thread in the hopes of sharing immersive audio experiences with SP4 owners and other members. When the dust clears at the end of the year and the new HDMI standard is released I hope to have enough info for my next upgrade (PJ and Processor).

https://www.reviewed.com/televisions/features/hdmi-20-vs-hdmi-21-whats-the-difference-and-which-do-i-need

You don't need to share immersive audio with SP4 owners as they are already astute enough to know about immersive audio. This thread is for folks who like Bryston products. It is not for a discussion of immersive audio; just immersive audio for the SP4. Can you discern the difference? :duh:

witchdoctor

« Reply #425 on: 25 Jan 2020, 06:29 pm »
You don't need to share immersive audio with SP4 owners as they are already astute enough to know about immersive audio. This thread is for folks who like Bryston products. It is not for a discussion of immersive audio; just immersive audio for the SP4. Can you discern the difference? :duh:

You can do whatever you want, but have provided 0 info on SP4 other than to say you don't like Atmos, 0 info on IMMERSIVE audio which is why most people would buy an SP4 and are obsessed with everything and anything WD. All the Bryston products you use have their own threads, they must get lonely without you. If that makes you happy its OK by me :D

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #426 on: 25 Jan 2020, 06:41 pm »
The clinical term for your condition is OCD.
In slang, it's basically "one-trick pony".

witchdoctor

« Reply #427 on: 25 Jan 2020, 08:46 pm »
For you two or multi-channel guys let me give you an analogy you can relate to. Imagine you are listening to music that was mastered in stereo and you only have either a left channel or right channel but not both.

Once you have experienced IMMERSIVE audio that is EXACTLY the experience if you were to remove the height channels once you have them in your system:

Before:

After:

gbaby

« Reply #428 on: 25 Jan 2020, 09:49 pm »
You can do whatever you want, but have provided 0 info on SP4 other than to say you don't like Atmos, 0 info on IMMERSIVE audio which is why most people would buy an SP4 and are obsessed with everything and anything WD. All the Bryston products you use have their own threads, they must get lonely without you. If that makes you happy its OK by me :D

I repeat, this is not a thread for a discussion of Immersive audio. This topic, started by you, is for a discussion of the sonic capability of the SP4 in rendering immersive audio. You need to buy one to even talk about it. Since you can't afford to buy one, it is completely unnecessary to engage in frivolous conversations about immersive audio in general. The only interest is immersive audio as how it sounds on the SP4.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #429 on: 25 Jan 2020, 11:30 pm »
I agree.

Right from the get-go, WD's posts (and this thread) have promoted Immersive Audio (and MQA), period. Not the SP4. As such, the proper action that moderators should do here, is to move this thread's posts to a generic thread on IA (if one exists, if not, create one), one without "Bryston SP4" in its title.

witchdoctor

« Reply #430 on: 26 Jan 2020, 12:31 pm »
Nice video on setting up the SP4, seems straight forward enough. Check out the configurations at 1:40, everything from 2 channel stereo to a 9.1.6 home theater. Here is where Bryston breaks it down into recommended configurations or all available. Does anyone know if Bryston did that to match room sizes or just personal preferences?

https://youtu.be/aAya7kqiQ84

witchdoctor

« Reply #431 on: 26 Jan 2020, 06:40 pm »
Another thing about that setup video if you go to 3:00 you'll see you can EQ each speaker. If you are thinking about Bryston Active speakers you could probably forgo getting the BAX-1 and save some dough. Active speakers with active crossovers are such an incredible upgrade to traditional passive speakers with passive crossovers. I use Paradigm Active 40's which are about the same size as Bryston Active Mini-T's. I think that would be all the speaker you would possibly need for your bed channels.

Does anyone know how many BAX-1's you could replace with an SP4 if you have 7 Active Mini-T's as your bed channels?

witchdoctor

« Reply #432 on: 26 Jan 2020, 08:29 pm »
I repeat, this is not a thread for a discussion of Immersive audio. This topic, started by you, is for a discussion of the sonic capability of the SP4 in rendering immersive audio. You need to buy one to even talk about it. Since you can't afford to buy one, it is completely unnecessary to engage in frivolous conversations about immersive audio in general. The only interest is immersive audio as how it sounds on the SP4.

Hey Gbaby, thanks for your financial advice, but don't you know that doctors make a lot of scratch? :thumb:

witchdoctor

« Reply #433 on: 26 Jan 2020, 08:37 pm »
I agree.

Right from the get-go, WD's posts (and this thread) have promoted Immersive Audio (and MQA), period. Not the SP4. As such, the proper action that moderators should do here, is to move this thread's posts to a generic thread on IA (if one exists, if not, create one), one without "Bryston SP4" in its title.

Actually if you look at the 4th post in this thread I scpecifically said MQA is not a factor but thanks for bringing it up. I was shocked by the bang for the buck Onkyo provided when I scored that immersive receiver for the man cave (shocked). So I started researching their line and found something called the DPX1 Digital Audio Player. It can be used via line out (balanced or unbalanced) into a pre OR you can use the USB out into a DAC. It also runs Android OS so I can download apps for any streaming service I want which is the achilles heel of comperting network players. most have their own OS and if you don't like it you are stuck.
So it was designed for hirez and is MQA friendly so that is now a non factor.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/onkyo-dp-x1-portable-music-player/

Extreman

« Reply #434 on: 1 Feb 2020, 07:56 pm »
This discussion has degenerated into a waste of bandwidth. :x
I have been away from this thread for many months and just came back to check for any interesting news on my SP4.
Sadly to say I found nothing except for the new faceplate that probably could not be retrofitted anyway?

witchdoctor

« Reply #435 on: 22 Feb 2020, 04:43 pm »
I have been away from this thread for many months and just came back to check for any interesting news on my SP4.
Sadly to say I found nothing except for the new faceplate that probably could not be retrofitted anyway?

What is your speaker layout? How many channels, Auro 3D or Atmos? Do you use wide channels?

gbaby

« Reply #436 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:41 pm »
What is your speaker layout? How many channels, Auro 3D or Atmos? Do you use wide channels?

WD, there is something wrong with you to ask Extreman these questions. You can't be a doctor, and if you are, I feel sorrow for your patients. But, maybe you are not a medical doctor, but perhaps you have a PhD in autism, I don't know. But, educated folks do not write like you. And, I have never heard a physician to say that he makes big bucks.  Don't you know the Extreman was basically criticizing you for making these crazy posts about immersive audio with no comment on the SP4? Please quit posting on Bryston's sites period until you buy Bryston. I saw a post about you on another thread wherein someone challenged you to buy a Bryston product and quit posting. This post was some five years ago. Please make your juvenile posts elsewhere. :roll: :x

witchdoctor

« Reply #437 on: 23 Feb 2020, 02:17 pm »
GBaby, you state you have no interest in Atmos, no interest in immersive music, and apparently no interest in ever buying an SP4. I started this thread and DO have an interest in all of the above.
Good luck :duh:

gbaby

« Reply #438 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:32 pm »
GBaby, you state you have no interest in Atmos, no interest in immersive music, and apparently no interest in ever buying an SP4. I started this thread and DO have an interest in all of the above.
Good luck :duh:

My interest is in Bryston products so hopefully, your next post will be sharing your opinion on the sonic traits of the SP4 you have purchased.

witchdoctor

« Reply #439 on: 24 Feb 2020, 03:40 pm »
Gbaby's interest as far as I can tell is all things Witchdoctor  :oops: