Super 6 Alnico/Skylan stands

Kalali

Super 6 Alnico/Skylan stands
« on: 5 Aug 2019, 04:04 pm »
Hello everyone. Just joined the Omega speaker family by getting a pair of super 6 Alnicos and 20” Skylan 4-post stands, now filled with rice. These are the original Alnico monitors circa 2008. Really enjoying the sound using my 18wpc SE KT88 amp and an all tube preamp, both from Aric Audio. The tone, texture, and the “aliveness” of these speakers is truly exceptional. The question I have is what’s the common wisdom in how the speakers should sit on the stands. Do most folks couple the speakers with stands using something like Blue Tack or its better to isolate them using damping pucks of some sort. I’m not worried about tipping them over since they are in a semi dedicated listening room and we have no kids or pets, etc.
By the way, the workmanship of these speakers is incredible and even at almost 11 years old they literally look brand new, partly thanks to the previous owner. They have Wenge wood veneer on the sides, top and bottom, and front baffle and the back are Cherry. Beautiful contrast.
Oh, also does anyone know how different are the new/current Super Alnico Monitors from this older model? The drivers appear to be identical.
Thanks in advance.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Super 6 Alnico/Skylan stands
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2019, 04:42 pm »
Welcome!  Looks to be these:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164703.0

Congratulations!  Very pretty.  Can't help with the differences though.

(I see the seller removed the price.  Too bad so many disregard the rules!)

Kalali

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2019, 07:10 pm »
Yup, those are the speakers/stands I bought. Real pretty in the flesh and a great seller.

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2019, 07:42 pm »
Congrats on the Omegas.  I have the same speakers and they are wonderful to listen to.  There are many theories on speaker coupling and I suppose none of them are absolute.  My way of thinking is that you want your speakers to be as still as possible while they are playing music so you want to do all you can to make sure everything is as rigid as possible.  But really, just try a few different things.  If one sounds better, stick with it.

I too have notice slight changes in the Alnico monitor over the years.  Hopefully Louis will chime in and describe them.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2019, 04:07 pm »
Yup, those are the speakers/stands I bought. Real pretty in the flesh and a great seller.
Hi, I'm the seller. Sorry, I didn't know that prices should not be removed. I try to keep my gear in great condition and post accurate ads, selling at reasonable prices. So the selling price may be on the low side. I didn't want to taint the market for others wishing to sell who may be more patient than I am, that's why I removed the price. For the record, the final price--all in--was $1,170 (shipping included).
I hope they serve the new buyer as well as they did me.
Louis makes an exceptional product at an exceptional value!!!!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2019, 04:22 pm »
Hi, I'm the seller. Sorry, I didn't know that prices should not be removed. I try to keep my gear in great condition and post accurate ads, selling at reasonable prices. So the selling price may be on the low side. I didn't want to taint the market for others wishing to sell who may be more patient than I am, that's why I removed the price. For the record, the final price--all in--was $1,170 (shipping included).
I hope they serve the new buyer as well as they did me.
Louis makes an exceptional product at an exceptional value!!!!

Thanks for that.  Yeah, the guidelines ask that info and price remain so everyone can gauge the market when listing something.  Unfortunately, the mod has now limited access to members only to try to tame the market activity.  I think it just reduced it.

Agreed that Louis is an artist and a craftsman.  My Omega rig is lifetime!