HD 800s or Focal Clears?

adydula

• Restricted
Re: HD 800s or Focal Clears?
« Reply #40 on: 17 Sep 2019, 04:57 pm »
JohnR,

Its your fault!

I called over to a local Audio Advice store....2 miles from me, and auditioned the Focal Clears via a $20,000 Mark Levinson player...listened to Patricia Barbers "Verses' and some Dire Straits....OMG good.

The Clears are very well made, very comfortable, and they sound very, very nice.

The sale is on "still" its a send in a set of cans to upgrade and you get $500 off. deal.

The guys in NYC, will just honor the $999 price.

So here I am thinking..
Alex

Freo-1

« Reply #41 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:31 pm »
With the price break, the Focal Clear option should be a easy choice.  The more I look into Focal headphones, the more I think they are an excellent value and option for purchase.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:41 pm »
Ok. decision made and they are on order!

Alex

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:48 pm »
sorry, maybe a dumb question but is it $500 off the $999 or is the $999 including the $500 off? thanks.

never mind, just answered my own questions. $999 is including the trade in.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 17 Sep 2019, 05:51 pm »
The sale is basically for the month of Sept as I read the fine print...

Alex

dflee

« Reply #45 on: 17 Sep 2019, 06:56 pm »
They?
You ordered both?
Is there a break in disc for headphones? If so you might need it
@10hr/day it takes 30 days just to get 300 hours of breakin per set.
Good luck and keep us informed. Gotta ask with all the other phones at Audio Advice
did you try the planners or other brand dynamics out. I was afraid to try the more
expensive cause don't want to know what I'm missing right now. Ended up w/ HE400S.

Freo-1

« Reply #46 on: 17 Sep 2019, 07:56 pm »
Ok. decision made and they are on order!

Alex

I think you made a excellent choice.  Will be keen to get your impressions with your setup.  Price always has to figure into one's decision buying options.

I found a new pair of Elears for 50% off, so I went this option.  I felt this is a good option for the price/performance ratio.  I'll report on the impressions in the Dynalo thread. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 17 Sep 2019, 08:05 pm »
dflee,

You noticed the wording "they"....ha! I did that on purpose.

Well I listened to the Clears (again thanks John!)...for about 20 minutes, and asked to listen to the Utopias...they said they had them but they could
not find them. The sales guy favored Audeze LCD4's.

I listened to Patricia Barbers Verses CD, I have several of her cd's but this one has eluded me. One word: GET IT (well 2 words) an excellent disc.
The first cut I thought I was listening to real speakers....a wonderful overall musical sensation...I knew right then that I had to get these.

The deal for $500 off was'nt mentioned at the place I tried them, so I went shopping and found a place that sold them for $999, no shipping or other charges!
They should be here in a few days.

I will post my more detailed impressions after that....

The build quality is excellent, comfort is excellent, but the sound is really excellent....kind of glad they did not find the Utopias....$4000 is getting a bit crazy here.

$1499 or $1699 is starting to get me abit startled....but the urge for perfection is strong!

So when the $999 deal came into focus and after a listen today it was a no brainer....deal done.

Maybe some day I will run into the HD800s and maybe wish I had gone this route, but I dont feel any gosh I am getting a lousy set of headphones with the Clears.

Hunt is over for now....

:>)

Alex

This had nothing to do with my purchase decision, as a matter of fact I just watched this for the first time!

Scroll down and watch  the video and Tyll get all mushy about these cans!!

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-clear-over-ear-open-headphones-page-2

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #48 on: 17 Sep 2019, 09:47 pm »
Congrats on the purchase. Hope they meet your expectations.

I listened to PB's Modern Cool the other night. A wonderful set of songs with better than wonderful songs. I've never listened to any of her albums through headphones. I need to try that.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 17 Sep 2019, 11:28 pm »
Thanks!

It will be neat to re-listen to all my material and try all the amps....being a 55 ohm can the Bottlehead Crack is out of the picture...
The Mainline has a low impedance setting, and a 4 pin balanced XLR...

Which brings up the nice selection of (3) cables that Focal sends along with the heaphones and case!

I did not like the idea that Senn replaced the 4 pin xlr with a 4.4mm TRSS jack...for some reason I cant get my head around that decision, I guess small music players are
more attractive than a large desktop amp..

Guess I will put this deal on headphone deals its only for another week...

Alex