Dual 12" OB H-Frame wiring

SteveKi

Dual 12" OB H-Frame wiring
« on: 4 Oct 2015, 03:59 pm »
I'm thinking about building this project. Is there a thread about how it is wired?

Or is there an all inclusive thread that shows everything. (I've found a few cabinet building threads)

Dual 12" OB H-Frame      http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127533.0
Or for bigger rooms
Triple 12" OB H-Frame   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134523.0
TIA,
Steve

Edit: (info added)
Danny Richie:
"You guys can run three of the SW-12-16FR woofers on one amp (A370PEQ). Using the HX800 amp you can run six of them."
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2015, 09:50 pm by SteveKi »

Captainhemo

Re: Dual 12" OB H-Frame wiring
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2015, 04:39 pm »
Driver coils are wired in parallel with the  rearward driver being out of phase (reversed polarity)
Servo coils are wired in series again with the reverse driver  being out of phase

The heavier wires from the amp are the driver leads, the thins are the servo leads.

Here you go, from Danny's V1's

jay

SteveKi

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2015, 05:18 pm »

Then there is a connection (not pictured) on the side or bottom of the amp for the thin pair and thick pair?

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2015, 05:29 pm »
The leads  are underneath onthe open side of the amp.  If the amp is new, they'll probably be wrapped up in  two separate bunles. If I remember right, each pair will already have a connector on them, you just need to cut them off and wire them into one half of 4 pole connector  (you can get   them from Danny when  your order everythign else)

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2015, 05:50 pm »
To piggy back on what Jay has said, you will use some combination of male and female Neutrik SpeakOn connectors to connect the speakers to the amp. The male connectors look like this

While the female connectors look like this

When you build the speaker cabinets you put a female connector on the inside bottom of each cabinet (these are 3x8" Wedge frames but the concept is the same for the H-Frames) I have no clue why this picture is displaying sideways.

When you build the amp boxes you can either solder the speaker wires direct to the amp wires and terminate the other end with a male SpeakOn connector or you can install a female connector to the amp box just like you did on the speaker cabinet

If you put female connectors on both the speaker cabinets and the amp boxes you would need to build a speaker cable with male connectors on both ends.

Mike

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2015, 06:14 pm »
Steve......nice to see you here.

Heres a pic of the back side of the amp.
You can see the thick and thin wires.

SteveKi

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2015, 07:37 pm »
The leads  are underneath onthe open side of the amp.  If the amp is new, they'll probably be wrapped up in  two separate bunles. If I remember right, each pair will already have a connector on them, you just need to cut them off and wire them into one half of 4 pole connector  (you can get   them from Danny when  your order everythign else)

jay

Jay,
Ok, I didn't even realize that the amp was open on the back side.
Steve

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2015, 08:47 pm »
A simpler, but less elegant option than the Speakons is when ordering the amps, specify that you want the wiring harness installed. No soldering required during install.

SteveKi

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2015, 09:09 pm »
A wiring harness is included. How long is it?

Due to the servo feedback loop, do they specify a max distance between the amp and speakers?
Steve

SteveKi

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:27 am »
Steve......nice to see you here.

PDR,
Thanks... this forum was highly recommended to me. :D It is a great source of information.
Steve

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm »
A wiring harness is included. How long is it?

Due to the servo feedback loop, do they specify a max distance between the amp and speakers?
Steve

The wiring harness is short, which requires the amp to be only a few inches from the speaker. If you want to know the technical reason for the short wire run, Danny Richie or another forum member can explain why.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:23 pm »
You guys are great at helping one another. This is a great community of support.

Yes, don't use any more wire length than what comes on the amp. Increasing the wire lengths will cause some issues and delays in the control.

SteveKi

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2016, 04:08 pm »
Driver coils are wired in parallel with the  rearward driver being out of phase (reversed polarity)
Servo coils are wired in series again with the reverse driver  being out of phase

The heavier wires from the amp are the driver leads, the thins are the servo leads.

Here you go, from Danny's V1's

jay

Dynky

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2016, 09:59 am »
You guys are great at helping one another. This is a great community of support.

Yes, don't use any more wire length than what comes on the amp. Increasing the wire lengths will cause some issues and delays in the control.
Danny,
I've tried to hook my dual drivers up using only the supplied length fitted on the HX300, but specifically with the servo wires I'm having a hard time running them as clean as I want, so I would like to add about 30cm (12 inches) to the servo wires only, is that going to give any issues?
Looking at some of the builds on here (especially the ones with 3 drivers) I can't imagine they're all running them hooked up only with the supplied wire lengths :?

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm »

How could that be possible?  Even feet of wire would have minimal resistance and basically no time delay. 

THROWBACK

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2016, 01:44 pm »
Yes, don't use any more wire length than what comes on the amp. Increasing the wire lengths will cause some issues and delays in the control. Danny.

Boy, I missed that one. My amps are on the floor, with about 10 feet of Danny's wire between them and the Electra Cable tube connectors. The connectors are at the bottom of a three-stack of 12" OB servo subs, so there is an additional 4' of wire to the topmost woofer.

I could move the amps closer (not ideal from an aesthetic POV), but then I would have to get longer interconnects to go from the preamp to the A370PEQ's (and maybe even longer power cords).

Or should I just relax?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2016, 03:41 pm »
I am using more than the amount of wiring that came with the HX800 amps to connect to the 12" drivers.  Once you get to 3x12" it has to be longer. 

The key is making the wire as short as possible from the drivers to the amps.