Treo CT Budget Amp Suggestions

justinloving

Treo CT Budget Amp Suggestions
« on: 2 Nov 2019, 02:22 am »
All, I’ve been running my CT’s with a 25 year old Bryston 4B NRB, the left channel has gone out. I have a choice. Spend $700-$800 completely refurbishing the Bryston or buy something better. Aesthetix seems to be the go to, but the only one I can find used is $4500 and that is a stretch right now. I was thinking about PS Audio M700s for just under $2000 used. Please provide any suggestions around the $2000 mark new or used.

Thanks
Justin

rotarius

Re: Treo CT Budget Amp Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2019, 02:45 pm »
You could get a Parasound Halo A21 or A23 and I think it will be a step up.  I used to own a 4BST so I do have a point of reference.  If you want to go Class D, there are plenty of options that may not have the fancy casework of the PS Audio and cost less.  I think my TI TPA3255 based Class D amp is one of the best SS amps I have ever owned and I have had quite a few!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2019, 02:56 pm »
I haven't heard this speaker but am a fan of most of their design principles.  It seems Vandersteen recommends bi-wiring a pair of stereo amps in for the very best results.  The specified efficiency is 85 dB/w/m at 2.83 volts and recommends 40-200 watts at 8 ohms.  Impedence is stated to be 6 ohms, 4 ohm minimum, but an "easy" load (as expected for an all 1st order crossover design).  They recommend a stable (low impedance friendly - read solid state) amplifier design and keeping speaker cabling as short as possible. 

So the goal would seem to be a pair of 200 wpc solid state stereo amps.  Around Audio Circle Digital Amplifier Company's stereo maraschino comes close (125 wpc, $2400/pair); NuPrime STA-9 works (120 wpc, $1390/pair); and Odyssey Khartago works (110 wpc, $1990/pair.  PS Audio S300 could come close (140 wpc, $2998/pair minus trade-in).  Keep in mind that the difference between 40 and 200 watts is 7 dB of gain and the difference between any of the above amps and 200 watts is less than 3 dB (half again as loud).  Depending on your room size any of these amps could bring you near symphonic peak volume levels. 

If you want cheap, look at the Crown XLS 1502 (300 wpc, $878/pair).  They sound great for the money (fan rarely comes on), but IMO a poor match quality wise to the Tree CT.

saygrr

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2019, 04:00 pm »
Give SMC a call. Steve McCormack has been improving the performance of his McCormack amplifiers for almost 30 years. If you buy a used DNA .5 , 1 or 125 you can have a very good amplifier and if you have enough bucks you can have a world class amplifier. I have a pair of DNA 1s that Steve has worked on three times over the 18 years I have owned them. I also have his McCormack TLC line stage which is the finest line stage I have had in my system over the past 39 years I have been in this hobby and I have had tubes but this this TLC is really something. McCormack gear has a history of matching up well with Vandersteen. Steve has a pair of Signature 3As. Give him a call 760-732-0352. He might remember me Jeff Saeger I have mono blocked DNA-1s that he has brought up to the Signature level.

deadhead

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2019, 08:54 pm »
I’ve heard Vandy speakers with Belles electronics with excellent results.

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2019, 09:40 pm »
I owned three models of Vandersteen speakers over the course of 17 years including the Treo CT.  The best amps I heard with them over the years of ownership were Belles and Odyssey.  There are no used Belles amps for sale right now up to the task of the Treo which is much less efficient than the specs indicate but there is an Odyssey Stratos Extreme+ for sale in great condition for a fair price and it will do the job plus the warranty of 20 years is transferable from the original owner.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649564260-odyssey-audio-stratos-extreme-power-amplifier/

justinloving

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2019, 03:23 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions. I’m thinking I want to increase my budget after doing some research. I have an opportunity to get a used PS Audio BHK 250 for $3200 + shipping - or I can just buy the Stratos mono blocks new. Is there a no brainer option here?

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2019, 07:37 pm »
What preamp are you using?

justinloving

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2019, 10:41 pm »
What preamp are you using?

As of now, I’m all digital using a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC MII

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2019, 11:13 pm »
You may want to consider getting a used Modwright KW-150SE.   I also think that the Ayre amps are a good match for Vandersteens.  Richard Vandersteen used to power his Model 7s with Ayre MX-Rs before he built the M7-HPAs.  I did also and really liked them.

justinloving

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2019, 02:39 am »
You may want to consider getting a used Modwright KW-150SE.   I also think that the Ayre amps are a good match for Vandersteens.  Richard Vandersteen used to power his Model 7s with Ayre MX-Rs before he built the M7-HPAs.  I did also and really liked them.

Thanks for these suggestions, two brands I’ve read about recently but not really familiar with. It looks like there is a pair of Ayre Mx-r for sale in my city for $2,200 which is perplexing because the MX-RS go for $15,000 used. I need to figure out what the differences are. TMR has a Modwright KWA 150 that has recently been serviced for sale as well. Not the same model you mentioned.

dminches

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2019, 12:07 pm »
Thanks for these suggestions, two brands I’ve read about recently but not really familiar with. It looks like there is a pair of Ayre Mx-r for sale in my city for $2,200 which is perplexing because the MX-RS go for $15,000 used. I need to figure out what the differences are. TMR has a Modwright KWA 150 that has recently been serviced for sale as well. Not the same model you mentioned.

There are 2 different models of the MX-R mono blocks.  One is the original and the other is the Twenty.  I don't know that the MX-RS is.  Also, $2,200 is very low for the original MX-R.  They usually go for $6-7,500.  On a side note, they are balanced only.

The MX-Rs are balanced only.  I did not mention them since they are likely out of your price range.

justinloving

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2019, 01:37 pm »
I think the Ayre MX-R might be a great option. Hopefully the seller gets back with me. I’ll reach out to Ayre to find out how much it would cost to send them in for check/overhaul if they need it. If Richard used them, then that is good enough for me. Side note: One of the mid bass drivers is blown as I found out last night. Hopefully Vandersteen will let me buy a new one so I don’t have to ship the entire speaker to them.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2019, 02:49 pm »
My brother has the Treo CTs powered by Odyssey Kismets (in Khartago cases) monoblocks. The combination is heavenly. They occasionally show up in the Trading Post for around the price of the used Ayre you’re considering. I guess I don’t have to suggest that you should look under the hood before buying.

Cheers,
Lester