A Salk for tubes (not Pharos).

bigjppop

Re: A Salk for tubes (not Pharos).
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:11 am »
Jeff:

Thanks for the detailed response.  You answered all of my questions and I guess we just can't have it all.  I'm a big believer in the idea that its the speaker/amp "system" that makes the final determination in the sound you here.  Unfortunately, that makes it very difficult to pick your gear.  You might have a favorite amp, but will it work with your favorite speakers?  Will your favorite speakers work with your favorite amp?  So many choices...

Anyway, just as an aside, I think its funny you mentioned the Pharos and Japan.  I live in Tokyo but unfortunately, due to my limited Japanese abilities, have not had many opportunities to explore the Hifi market here.  I just thought the coincidence was funny.  Maybe its a sign that I should just suck it up, save my pennies (or Yen) and buy the Pharos!

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Rocket

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2009, 09:00 am »
Hi Jeremy,

If you would consider a change in amplification I recently heard an amplifier by bakoon.  The sound quality was very impressive.  Here is a link to the australian distributor.  I'm sure it would be cheaper buying it in Japan.

http://www.warco.com.au/shop/manufacturer/bakoon_products/6

Regards

Rod

turkey

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:21 pm »

I'll tell you this; if Jim were located in Japan he would be selling Pharos' like crazy. Both this JBL woofer and the PHL midrange has a cult following over there, and they love ribbon tweeters too. This speaker would have some real impact in that market. Also, beware of some

I find the Japanese audio market to be endlessly amusing. They get caught up in these fads and buy into the darnedest nonsense.

We have our own homegrown tweakos here in the US, but it seems that a high percentage of the arrant audio nonsense in the world comes from the Japs.

I'm not saying that the Pharos or its parts are arrant nonsense, but I really laughed when I saw you presenting their possible cult status in Japan as a positive thing.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2009, 03:20 pm »
This is probably a bit off topic, but I have to say I love the sound of my ST RTs in combination with my old Eico ST-70. Interestingly, the unit is supposed to put out 35 watts per channel, but some friends were recently checking it out and determined the JJ 7591 actually were outputting more like 24 watts. They happened to have a set of NOS 7591s that would put out the full 35 watts on the same unit. Even with 24 (potential) watts the STs sound wonderful.

As I said, a bit off-topic...

Steve

fsimms

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
I'm not saying that the Pharos or its parts are arrant nonsense, but I really laughed when I saw you presenting their possible cult status in Japan as a positive thing.

In spite of posible Japan cult status, the Pharo's are pretty special sound wise.  They also look a lot smaller in person because of their shape. 

Bob

Jeff B.

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jun 2009, 08:59 pm »

I'll tell you this; if Jim were located in Japan he would be selling Pharos' like crazy. Both this JBL woofer and the PHL midrange has a cult following over there, and they love ribbon tweeters too. This speaker would have some real impact in that market. Also, beware of some

I find the Japanese audio market to be endlessly amusing. They get caught up in these fads and buy into the darnedest nonsense.

We have our own homegrown tweakos here in the US, but it seems that a high percentage of the arrant audio nonsense in the world comes from the Japs.

Well, cult status is always an oddity. But if you are selling something, it's not necessarily a bad oddity. :D