about to take plunge with tube amp- choice of 2. Help!

Bigfishhk

Re: about to take plunge with tube amp- choice of 2. Help!
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2013, 08:02 pm »
I love Rogue stuff.  I have three of their products in my system.  However, I think I'd avoid the Mk I version of the Tempest.  It has a reputation of running the tubes fairly hard, resulting in tube replacement more often.  And tubes ain't cheap!  You could probably still find a Mk II, which has a totally redesigned circuit and sounds amazing, within your price range.  If you could actually find a Mk II I'd recommend it over the Jolida as it is more versatile; you can roll in any normal octal - even the KT120, it has triode/ultra switching, has headphone and phono capability (phono board available from Rogue), uses 1/2 the tubes for nearly the same amount of power (the Mk II is 90 watts/channel in Ultralinear - and no fan in Mk II).  It's also designed and built here in the US by good folk.  If you wanted, you could have it upgraded to Mk III status and even do the Super Magnum upgrade for even better transparency if desired.  My 2 cents.

A Tempest 1 upgraded to Tempest 2 up for sale on AG today. Not sure how upgraded model compares to the mk2.
how do KT88's compare to el34's?

ricardojoa

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2013, 08:43 pm »
I thought that jolida had business issue  awhile back. Has this been solved and is that the real jolida?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2013, 08:53 pm »
If I were tasked with making this choice, I would go with Jolida.

http://www.salksound.com/jolida%20home.htm

Have fun,

Jerry

chrisby

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:09 pm »
If the Jolida in still in contention, note that at least according the schematic for my 10yr old 302, it can relatively easily be converted from EL34 to KT88 by changing one resistor per tube in the bias circuit (R14 & 16 as seen below)

With EL34s it can also be fairly easily converted to triode mode

Bigfishhk

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:13 pm »
If I were tasked with making this choice, I would go with Jolida.

http://www.salksound.com/jolida%20home.htm

Have fun,

Jerry

Jerry

based on the Rogue Mk 1 upgraged to mk 2 VS Jolida?
(a upgraded mk1/2)  came up for sale today on AG).
Both almost same price (1300)

Ericus Rex

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:19 pm »
A Tempest 1 upgraded to Tempest 2 up for sale on AG today. Not sure how upgraded model compares to the mk2.
how do KT88's compare to el34's?

Tempest II and what I've called a Mk II are the same thing.  Same for Tempest III and Mk. III.  Sorry for the confusion.

I've never tried the EL34 in my Rogue amp, but generally speaking the KT88 is larger sounding, fuller, more spacious and airy with stronger and tighter bass.  The EL34 is sweeter sounding, a bit smaller sounding, and I've always found the bass of the EL34 to be a bit boomy and undefined.  Others disagree with me.  The KT90s are a bit of both worlds in the Rogue amps.  I'd call them an EL34 on steroids;  stronger and tighter bass, larger sound but retaining that 'purity' of the EL34.  The KT120 is supposed to be awesome in this amp but I haven't had the chance to try them yet.  I have an EL34 amp from a different company that really does small scale folk and chamber music well.  But the Rogue beats it hands down on larger symphonic stuff and rock.

The Tempest II will run the EL34 if you're so inclined.  It will also run the 6L6, 63PS/6n3c, EL34, 6CA7, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550, KT90 and KT120.  You'd simply lower the bias a touch for anything under the KT88 in my list.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:49 pm »
Jerry

based on the Rogue Mk 1 upgraged to mk 2 VS Jolida?
(a upgraded mk1/2)  came up for sale today on AG).
Both almost same price (1300)

Yes, Jolida. All day long.

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm »
The Vandersteen speakers I have are the 2CE Sig II. They are rated at 86db sensitivity. I think the Salk's are slightly more sensitive at 88db. I listened to the LM Audio 216IA with KT88 power tubes in a medium to large sized room with lower ceilings and it FILLED the room with sound at 1/3 turn of the volume knob. I was very impressed by the power it could put out... so was my dealer who just started to carry the brand. But he told me tubes would sound much louder than the watts listed. Also did a listen to the Cary and was not impressed for the price.

The upside to the Rogue is that the guys are in, I think PA. You would get great customer service that is here in the USA.

The only downside to the 216IA, it does not have a headphone output (jack). Other than that, build quality is VERY nice and it sounds superb. Also heard it with Devore speakers.... a superb match.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/line-magnetic-amplifiers

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #28 on: 3 Jan 2013, 11:19 pm »
...........it FILLED the room with sound at 1/3 turn of the volume knob.

If you were using a digital source (~2v output) the amp was probably close to full output.

From the manufacturers specs: Input Sensitivity: 220mV

geowak

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm »
If Salk is using Jolida with their speakers and they like it, I would not hesitate to go with Jolida. Even though my experience has been very positive with Vandy's and LM Audio. The Jolida and Salk match must be very good if Mr Salk is selling the line on his website.

At the very least, give him a call and see what he thinks for your ST's....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jan 2013, 01:22 am »

Wouldn't mind auditioning a couple of these JoLida 200w monoblocks.  Haven't read review one, however.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:13 am »
If Salk is using Jolida with their speakers and they like it, I would not hesitate to go with Jolida. Even though my experience has been very positive with Vandy's and LM Audio. The Jolida and Salk match must be very good if Mr Salk is selling the line on his website.

At the very least, give him a call and see what he thinks for your ST's....

I did. He suggested EL34's. obviously he told me the AVA Ultra sounds great with the ST's as has been noted widely,  but on lower budget integrated tube, he thinks Jolida work well.

Nuance

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:43 am »
I did. He suggested EL34's. obviously he told me the AVA Ultra sounds great with the ST's as has been noted widely,  but on lower budget integrated tube, he thinks Jolida work well.

Oh man - my mouth is watering!

vortrex

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:28 am »
My first system was an 35w EL34 Jolida and ST's.  It sounded nice but was a little light in the bass dept.  With a $1500 budget you can do a lot better than Jolida, especially if buying used.

Austin08

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:58 am »
”EL34” CJ premier 11a is one very special amp. I let it go and missed it sometime.

margolism

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan 2013, 07:36 pm »
Does anyone know if the Rogue Tempest mk 1 can use EL34 and/or KT120 tubes?

I know the KT120 tubes are taller, but would the electronics support them if the cover is removed?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jan 2013, 12:31 am »
Does anyone know if the Rogue Tempest mk 1 can use EL34 and/or KT120 tubes?

I know the KT120 tubes are taller, but would the electronics support them if the cover is removed?

I've contacted Rogue about using the KT120 in my Stereo 90 (same chassis as Tempest II & III).  They told me they have to special pick them and send only the shorter ones (apparently, there's a slight difference in height between tubes).  The power supply can support the 120.  Yes, the Tempest II can use the EL34.

margolism

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:13 am »
That is the Tempest II and III, was wondering about the Tempest I

Ericus Rex

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:11 pm »
Sorry, chassis size is the same for the Tempest I as the II and III, however, I think the I is self-bias, no?  In that case, EL34s would be biased too hot and the KT120s would be biased a little low.  I'm sure you could do it but you'd probably wear the EL34s out faster.  Roger Modjeski of Music Reference mentioned this tip to find out if your amps circuit can actually handle the KT120; install it and if your power tranny doesn't get hotter than normal you're fine.  Too hot means the tubes are drawing more current from the PS than it can handle.  This doesn't really help you decide before purchasing expensive tubes, I know, but Mark at Rogue could answer that question more definitively.

mark funk

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2013, 05:59 pm »
I heard one of these driving a pair of Salk HT2s. Sound really good!

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250&Itemid=235

:smoke: