Sensation M451 mods- listening impressions

classicjt2

Re: Sensation M451 mods- listening impressions
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:32 pm »
Jon L's cap comparison was very helpful in choosing my caps. I also used this comparison:

http://www.vhaudio.com/21capacitorshootout.pdf

The author's ratings are very strict, and he has his biases, but very well done in a very high resolution system.

James

brother love

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2010, 08:02 pm »
Thanks Don.  Thanks James.  Good stuff !  :thumb:

When evaluating better/ best capacitor & bypass capacitor upgrades,  I wonder if there is a greater improvement of one over the other for speakers & amps ?

I saw the Auricaps were well thought of ...

dvenardos

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jun 2010, 10:22 pm »
I am interested in comparing the Clarity ESA to Sonicap Platinum as a bypass cap. The sonicap is extremely well regarded by those I trust, but so dogone expensive.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 04:44 pm by dvenardos »

emac

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:18 pm »
Don't forget about Humble Homemade Hifi's cap test.  While I don't agree w/ everything there, e.g. don't care for the Vishay's as bypass caps, it is nice to have a comparison w/ ratings. 

As for Clarity Caps, I've played around w/ the SA version in my 200 watt per T amp and they now reside in my MHDT Labs Constantine+ DAC.  Can't say I've been that impressed w/ them.  Not that they are bad, I've just found caps that I like more.  And I have them bypassed w/ Vitamin Q's at this point, but still not the greatest. 

I like the Epcos caps that dweekie recommended for me.  Sorry, can't remember the model number and I'm away from home, so I can't easily find out that info.  But presently, I'm using Russian K75-10's in both of T amps, and find them to be a good fit sonically.  These are green and seem to be good quality PIO's.

As for Sonicap Gen I's, IMO, they work well but are not the greatest.  About on par w/ Clarity Caps to my ear.  However, when bypassed w/ Sonicap Platinums, the sound is detailed but also very musical.  The Platinums cost an arm and a leg, but are worthwhile. 

brother love

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2010, 03:44 pm »
Thanks emac! Here's the Humble Homemade Hifi Cap Test link: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Fyi, his testing is for speakers only.  I love this pic from that site, it's a hoot! There's a lot of money in the ingredients for that brew.   :lol: 

currently on the M-451 there is an option Seth is offering thru Gary Dodd for (2) .1 uF & (2) 2.2 uF Sonicaps w/ Platinum bypass capacitors (I assume .033, .047 or .1 uF for the 2.2 uF only).

In my case I'm only interested in the (2) .1 uF for 80 Hz & above in place of existing 2.2 uF Virtucaps.  Not sure if smaller bypass capacitors would be of greater benefit (& fit for that matter) to the 5/8" dia. x 1-3/16" lg .1 uF platinums ...

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:13 pm »
Actually what is being offered for the Sensations, either M-451 or M-901 is a full set of Sonicaps to replace the Virtu caps on the M-451's and The virtu .1uf and 2.2uf Auricaps on the M-901. I am using Gen 2 .1uf's and Gen 1
3.3uf's. Also there is a set of Sonicap Platinum .01uf's for bypass. The sonicap bypass's are effective for both the .1uf's and the 3.3uf's. It depends on where you have the jumper set. In full range mode the 3.3uf's are bypassed and in the 80 hz the .1uf's are bypassed.
Gary

brother love

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2010, 04:23 pm »
Thanks for clarifying Gary. If I can work it out to get a M-451, that Sonicap upgrade w/ the tube buffer is a no-brainer.   :drool:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:52 pm »
anyone compared the sound of the 451 with full sonicap upgrade vs. the 901(auricap) with plat. sonicap bypass?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:29 pm »
Reading between the lines, Gary does not LOVE auricaps ;-)  However, I have MANY very satisfied customers using them and Roger voiced the amp with them - they don't suck. 

Fully replacing the Auricaps on the M901 seems like a waste to me, which is why I don't price it on the site.  I offer Plat bypass on the M901 only. 

If you want to replace the Auricaps completely, we will do it certainly for the same price as the M451 cap-lobotomy.  It will make Gary smile.

dvenardos

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:27 am »
I very much like the auricaps in my Classic Two, but I just received the Two.2 which I am going to put Sonicaps in for a comparison. Should be fun.  :green:

Sam-fi

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jul 2010, 07:01 pm »
Has anyone given the new CuTF V-cap a try?
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2010, 02:51 pm by Sam-fi »

guest1632

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2010, 10:56 am »
Reading between the lines, Gary does not LOVE auricaps ;-)  However, I have MANY very satisfied customers using them and Roger voiced the amp with them - they don't suck. 

Fully replacing the Auricaps on the M901 seems like a waste to me, which is why I don't price it on the site.  I offer Plat bypass on the M901 only. 

If you want to replace the Auricaps completely, we will do it certainly for the same price as the M451 cap-lobotomy.  It will make Gary smile.

Hi all,

Ok, so before anyone crucifies me for this question, I am aware of what a cap is for, and in this case what its usage is at the input. So here's the question. Has anyone ever just shorted out the caps, and taken a DC voltage reading at the output? Another words, can these units be used without the input caps at all? This way, it would be completely DC coupled all the way to your speakers. Now, I do understand why they are there, so don't shoot me ok. It might be useful to see if the DC offset is to high, if that can be neutralized in one way or the other. I know they are there to prevent DC from coming off the rest of the chain upstream. Here's everybody spending lots of bucks to get that last ounce of sound.

Gary, I presume your buffer goes in at the input of the amp, so because you would have a DC voltage coming off your bbuffer, then you'd need the cap to protect the digital circuitry. Anyway, just a question and food for thought.

Ray Bronk

se-riously

« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2010, 06:13 pm »
I just replaced the Virtucap input caps on my Sensation M451 with a 2.2 uF 200 VDC Sonicap Gen I that are bypassed with a 0.01 uF Sonicap platinum.  Note that all new Sensation M451's now come with Sonicaps standard, so it would really easy for you to add the Platinum bypass caps later (if you were stupid enough not to do this $45 upgrade when you first bought it).  When I bought my M451, the Virtucaps were standard and I already had purchased the Sonicaps separately that were originally intended for a One.2.

Since I have the Dodd buffer, I wanted to minimize disassembly and avoid soldering to the underside of the PCB, so here's how I did it.

1)  Remove the top cover and disconnect/move out of the way 1 ribbon cable and the 2 black wires that restrict access to the input caps.
2)  Cut off the Virtucaps as close as possible to the cap (see red circles in photo).
3)  Remove the black insulation from the Virtucap leads (pull it off gently) and "tin" the wires with silver solder.
4)  I soldered the bypass caps to the main 2.2 uF caps first, and then hot glued the 2.2 uF caps to the PCB board of the Sensation.  This keeps the caps from moving around, especially since the cap leads are no longer insulated.
5)  Now solder the "tinned" wire leads to the cap leads.
6)  Reconnect/install the ribbon cables, wires, and top cover and you're done!

I'll post pics of the completed product tonight.

dvenardos

« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:05 pm »
Note that all new Sensation M451's now come with Sonicaps standard, ...

:o When did that happen?

se-riously

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:02 am »
:o When did that happen?

Sometime in early September.

jtsnead

« Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:44 am »
Hi Se-
What tube are you using?

se-riously

« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2010, 04:48 am »
Hi Se-
What tube are you using?

I have a Sylvania GB 5751 Triple Mica NOS standing by, but I'm breaking in the caps right now with the stock JJ.

classicjt2

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm »
Note that all new Sensation M451's now come with Sonicaps standard

This Sonicap update is potentially a big, big upgrade over the original Virtucaps, and still at the $799 price point. Here's the link for the review of the Sensation M451/Sonicap version/Dodd tube buffer:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1110/virtue_audio_sensation_m451.htm

James

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm »
I had an M451 come back because it sounded "veiled."  It just made no sense (returns cost me a lot) to let that happen again so everyone gets Sonicaps standard ;-)  Thanks for noticing, James.

wsturner

« Reply #39 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:36 am »
I am doing some M451 mods, and thought I would use the opportunity to do some cap comparisons.

I know that the AuriCaps needed some burn-in time. Does anyone know how much time the SoniCaps need?

I don't want to write a comparison if the SoniCaps haven't had enough time.

Scott