Virtue amps for balanced headphones

mamba315

Virtue amps for balanced headphones
« on: 5 May 2010, 05:25 am »
I've been reading about two new orthodynamic headphones (Hifiman HE-5LE & Audeze LCD-2) coming to market, and I ran across a gentlemen who tried the Hifiman on his Virtue One and said it sounded great.  Excerpts below:

"For those who are concerned that these phones will be very amplifier-sensitive, I do not feel that this should be a concern, as I tried them with my tube/hybrid SOHA, my RWA Sig.30.2, Virtue One T-amp, and my Topkit-modded iBasso D4. All performed to my satisfaction.

I asked him about his experience using the Virtue One as a headphone amplifier, and this was his reply:

"IMO, quality T-amps work very well with balanced phones. I use my Virtue with my balanced Ed.8, K-501, Yuin G1s and OK2s. They all sound just fine with both my Virtue and Sig. 30.2. You just need to make sure you start with the volume low. The Virtue runs with the volume at about the 8:30-9:00 o'clock position for normal listening levels."

The Hifiman is rated Impedance: 38 Ohms Sensitivity: 87.5 dB / 1mW
The Audeze is rated Impedance: 50 Ohms Sensativity 91 db / 1mw

Is there any technical reason the Virtue amps wouldn't play well with relatively low-impedance headphones like these? I have the Sensation M901 with the JT supply coming soon.  I thought I had read somewhere that the Virtue isn't linear with the load starts to rise above 16 ohms.  Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe it's not a big deal.  Anyone know?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Virtue amps for balanced headphones
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2010, 05:55 am »
You're right that the output filter is optimized for around 6 ohms and Michael picked up some tizzyness at high impedence loads.  But every system really varies and there's no hard-and-fast rule.  I have several customers using these speaker-like headphones and find the combination terrific.  Thank you for visiting and posting!!!

mamba315

Re: Virtue amps for balanced headphones
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2010, 03:44 am »
Thanks for the reply Seth.  If anybody has experience with a Virtue amp + balanced headphone combination, please post your experiences here.  I will probably try it out for myself, but it might be a number of months before I get the headphones I need for this.  Those Audeze's are tempting little buggers!