Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #260 on: 4 Mar 2021, 06:40 pm »
Studio monitors are gonna crush anything under $5k.  But they do need a good sub.  I’d recommend building a pair of servo OB subs and using them as stands.  That gets you in to the $15k performance ballpark.

indiehouse

« Reply #261 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:18 pm »
Studio monitors are gonna crush anything under $5k.  But they do need a good sub.  I’d recommend building a pair of servo OB subs and using them as stands.  That gets you in to the $15k performance ballpark.

Whoa! And by "Studio monitors" you are referring to Danny's NX_Studio's?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #262 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:23 pm »
Yup! The NX-Studio is the current name for the Studio Monitors, since they share the OB Neo3 in a waveguide & the M-165NQ drivers.

mkrawcz

« Reply #263 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:44 pm »
What other speaker would you say these compare to? Just looking for a frame of reference, since I have none. I was looking at a used pair of the Ascend Sierra towers for around the same price.
The best speakers I have been able to directly compare to side by side are my Focal Electra 1038be2 towers. Those retailed for $13k new and the NX-Studios with subs absolutely destroy them across the board. They are a world class monitor.

indiehouse

« Reply #264 on: 4 Mar 2021, 08:24 pm »
The best speakers I have been able to directly compare to side by side are my Focal Electra 1038be2 towers. Those retailed for $13k new and the NX-Studios with subs absolutely destroy them across the board. They are a world class monitor.

Well, alright then. I'm sold. Going in blind but here's to hoping you good people will be able to offer me some guidance when it comes to building these!

Oh, and can you recommend me subs that would integrate well with these? I think I'd prefer subs that also function as speaker stands, so that they can blend in and be sort of invisible. I think I saw a photo of something like that. They looked fantastic. Does Danny sell a kit like that?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #265 on: 4 Mar 2021, 08:52 pm »
If you mean sub stands like these:

They aren't available anymore unless Danny decides to restock the 8" subs & the HX300 amp (which iirc is currently being replaced with a newer model) i got mine already assembled from Danny.

However, I'm my experience with them so far, they work best in small/medium size rooms. In large rooms they tend to fall a bit short.. but they are incredibly fast and detailed! The Dual 12" H-Frame towers will have MUCH more bass authority and presence in larger rooms. Tho not as easy to hide as a setup like mine.

I think someone *did* build something similar to mine with the 12" drivers, but it was intended for the Wedgies, using a Neo3 & 4 LGK drivers, making for a very narrow naffle.

Alternatively, the Rythmik L12 is a great sub, and since its sealed should have no issues blending in with the Studios.

I, like many others, am still waiting for availability on the NQ drivers, but I'm excited to get this build finished by April if all goes well.
Ill also be getting back to my build thread once the kit arrives so others can follow along. :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #266 on: 4 Mar 2021, 11:30 pm »
Dual OB servo subs for the win!

roscoe65

« Reply #267 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:38 am »
I run a pair of these http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html.  They provide output equivalent to a single 12” but go higher.

They sit at 20” high.  I use them as 68 lb speaker stands with an Isoacoustics L8R200.  They only have line level inputs, but it is simple to knock together a voltage divider to run them from speaker level.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #268 on: 5 Mar 2021, 03:11 am »
Hi guys! Glad you are all still having fun with my thread! My dad is still enjoying the Studios very much. He absolutely loves them. Hobbs glad to see you are building your own set. Keep up the good work everyone!

I have not been doing anything GR related lately, so that's why my absence. However, I am planning to upgrade the crossovers in my Emerald Physics EP 2.7s (even higher than Danny did) so will be hitting Danny up for some copper caps and coils soon. Also have moved to a Dennis Had Inspire KT-88 HO single ended tube amp and Damn does that sound good with the Big E.P. OB's. I want to take it to my dads place soon and try it with the Studios. I bet that would be a good match. What do you think Tyson? I have seen you over on the AA Inspire mega thread.

« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2021, 01:39 pm by Sonicjoy »

Tyson

« Reply #269 on: 5 Mar 2021, 05:15 am »
Hi guys! Glad you are all still having fun with my thread! My dad is still enjoying the Studios very much. He absolutely loves them. Hobbs glad to see you are building your own set. Keep up the good work everyone!

I have not been doing anything GR related lately, so that's why my absence. However, I am planning to upgrade the crossovers in my Emerald Physics EP 2.7s (even higher than Danny did) so will be hitting Danny up for some copper caps and coils soon. Also have moved to a Dennis Had Inspire KT-88 HO single ended tube amp and Damn does that sound good with the Big E.P. OB's. I want to take it to my dads place soon and try it with the Studios. I bet that would be a good match. What do you think Tyson? I have seen you over on the AF Inspire mega thread.

Oh yeah, I run the Dennis Had Inspire MB12 KT88 monoblocks in my downstairs system, driving my Super 7s.  Dennis makes fabulous sounding amps.  Plus I love the ability to tube roll in those things. 

Sonicjoy

« Reply #270 on: 5 Mar 2021, 01:59 pm »
I bet that sounds incredible. If memory serves your Sevens have dual 12" servo subs built in? Man best of both worlds sweet single ended tube sound on midrange up and deep powerful bass. I would love to hear it!
I really wish I would have tried the Inspire amp when I had the Studio's. I probably would have got one for my dad, because with the imaging capability of the Studios and the Inspire amp I bet the sound stage would be huge.

Very cool stuff! My system has never sounded so good! I'm having a lot of fun with this audio hobby lately, hope everyone here is as well.  :thumb:

Cheers.

indiehouse

« Reply #271 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:39 pm »
If you mean sub stands like these:

They aren't available anymore unless Danny decides to restock the 8" subs & the HX300 amp (which iirc is currently being replaced with a newer model) i got mine already assembled from Danny.

However, I'm my experience with them so far, they work best in small/medium size rooms. In large rooms they tend to fall a bit short.. but they are incredibly fast and detailed! The Dual 12" H-Frame towers will have MUCH more bass authority and presence in larger rooms. Tho not as easy to hide as a setup like mine.

I think someone *did* build something similar to mine with the 12" drivers, but it was intended for the Wedgies, using a Neo3 & 4 LGK drivers, making for a very narrow naffle.

Alternatively, the Rythmik L12 is a great sub, and since its sealed should have no issues blending in with the Studios.

I, like many others, am still waiting for availability on the NQ drivers, but I'm excited to get this build finished by April if all goes well.
Ill also be getting back to my build thread once the kit arrives so others can follow along. :thumb:

Yes! That's what I was referencing! No longer available? Dag. Something sleek and unobtrusive like that would have been perfect. Blends in so well and stays 'hidden'. I can't really put a monster setup in my family room.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #272 on: 5 Mar 2021, 03:13 pm »
Wow! Those sub stands are cool! Like you said great for a small room. Just a very slick clean look. Would love to hear that combo.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #273 on: 5 Mar 2021, 03:59 pm »
Wow! Those sub stands are cool! Like you said great for a small room. Just a very slick clean look. Would love to hear that combo.

Absolutely! With my XLS, they're incredibly fast and will reliability hit down deep with any song i throw at it in smaller/longer rooms, only times I've had issues are when the volume is past 1oclock and the song has badly compressed bass, causing clipping issues. Or rolling off early cuz a room is too large. But when its dialed in just i can hit the really deep notes in Boz Scaggs "Thanks to you" and in a lot of 70s prog rock, bass has tons of great texture and grit that really shines thru!
Only subs I've heard that are better are Danny's triple sub towers, but Six 12" drivers will always beat out 4 8" drivers.. :P

I'm really excited to get my Studios up and running this year once the NQ drivers are back in stock.  :thumb:

indiehouse

« Reply #274 on: 5 Mar 2021, 05:00 pm »
Anything similar to those sub stands that I can build?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #275 on: 5 Mar 2021, 05:30 pm »
I know Jay/Captainhemo developed a wedge shaped stand for the Super Mini that used 4 8" servo subs, but I imagine a version could be adapted to fit a pair of 12" drivers. Tho i dont know its exact dimensions. It's possible a more squared version like mine could also be made to fit dual 12" drivers, but it would need to be a little wider and deeper, but I imagine should work fine. The trick will be to see if the plate amp will still fit or need to be a separate unit.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #276 on: 5 Mar 2021, 06:05 pm »
If you want endgame bass then a stereo pair of dual open baffle H frames are the ticket.  That is if you have room for them.  They need space behind them but the sound they make is so worth it.

indiehouse

« Reply #277 on: 16 Mar 2021, 01:24 pm »
Well, I did it. I've got the flat packs coming my way. I'm starting to map out my plan of approach. My first hurdle is going to be the veneer. @Sonicjoy, you advised making the panels slightly larger so that when the veneer is adhered, you can trim them down to size for a more finished look. How would that work with a flat pack? Any advice to make the veneer process as painless as possible? How would I flush trim the edges? Where did you order your veneer from?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #278 on: 16 Mar 2021, 02:16 pm »
You can still do it with the flat pack, just have to be careful. Leave the veneer wider than the panel. Once glue is dry turn face down on a scrape of flat smooth plywood and carefully trim against the panel with a very sharp razor knife. Then using a sanding block sand flush.

I bought my veneer on ebay.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #279 on: 16 Mar 2021, 03:06 pm »
I did my NX studio with raw quilted maple veneer on the sides and back.
It would have been better for me to get paper backed veneer, esp since I didnt have any experience with the process.
It will be much easier to work with.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go with heat lock glue, and will make the veneering process easier after the cabinet it assembled, then trim it down with a router flush bit.

Peter's XLS veneer video us a great place to start, esp if you want to veneer the front & back as well as the sides.
https://youtu.be/pb5KiJmIWII