Bryston 3B cubed or 4b cubed?

wdizard

Bryston 3B cubed or 4b cubed?
« on: 27 Dec 2022, 10:12 pm »
Hello!
    I have a room that is 12.5 by 24 feet.
I also have a neighbor above me 😀

I am curious if a Bryston 3B Cubed amp would be as satisfying as a 4B Cubed amp.
In my situation I think that 200 watts would be ok.
My speakers are Definitive Technology BP-8080 ST.
Thank you !
Greg

Ron D

Re: Bryston 3B cubed or 4b cubed?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2022, 12:33 am »
Given you have a neighbor to deal with that may result in lower listening levels so a 3B might do the trick. How efficient are your speakers. From my past experience with Bryston amps it has always advantageous to have more power at the ready.  It was an ear opening experience moving from a 4BST to a 14Bsst, was amazed at how much more detail I was hearing at lower volume levels. Whether or not moving from a 3B to 4B you'd experience the same is anyone's guess.

I'd go for the 4B3 with the hopes that at some time you'll be in a location where neighbors aren't an issue..

Clive197

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2022, 10:38 am »
No brainier this. You should go for the 4b3. You don’t have to annoy the neighbours because the extra power doesn’t make it louder and if it did it would only be 2-3db at the end of the volume control. The extra power will sound better and give you more headroom and avoid distortion and possible clipping when you do want to annoy the neighbours because their stereo, baby, TV or arguments have kept you up all night.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2022, 03:30 pm »
Watts are like sex you can never get enuf.

ord.avg.guy

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2022, 04:54 pm »
I looked up your speakers and they are 92 dB sensitivity and have powered woofers. The 3B3 will power them just fine.

Luxmancl38

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2022, 11:44 am »
My room dimensions are about the same and I have a 3B Cube in my setup. My speakers are Aerial 5T's and there is plenty of power for these speaker. You have very efficient speakers. The 3B is more than enough. :thumb:

Jozsef

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2023, 06:12 am »
Bryston's series of amps in any given generation are always designed to have the same performance, save for power output. if you will never use the extra power, then you really don't need a bigger one. That said, if I had the budget, I would buy the biggest ones. I figure it can't hurt!