Bryston Headphone Interface

terrycym

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #340 on: 3 Oct 2011, 09:20 pm »
There's a picture of JT and that's not the womanising centre half, in Stereophile's coverage of TAVES clutching a headphone amp.

On a second note, since they've been mentioned before here, I heard some cans at the recent Whittlebury show. I am a Stax man but I was quite impressed by the Audeze but as for the HifiMan cans I couldnt understand what the fuss is all about.

rob80b

« Reply #341 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm »
There's a picture of JT and that's not the womanising centre half, in Stereophile's coverage of TAVES clutching a headphone amp.

On a second note, since they've been mentioned before here, I heard some cans at the recent Whittlebury show. I am a Stax man but I was quite impressed by the Audeze but as for the HifiMan cans I couldnt understand what the fuss is all about.

http://www.stereophile.com/category/taves-2011?page=2

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #342 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm »

I can't comment on Stax or HiFiMan, but can say the Audeze LCD-2 rev. 2, is very much my choice over my Sennheiser HD800. Just about every review says that the LCD-2 is more listenable than the very accurate but comparatively cold and analytical Sennheisers.

Big question for me will be this: How do both the LCD-2 and HD800 sound when played through the BHA-1 when compared with my Grace Designs m903 and Schiit Lyr HP amps?

Dave

dune

« Reply #343 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm »
Hi,

Is it going to have an inbuilt dac option?

Also, what are the output specs?

Thanks.

terrycym

« Reply #344 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm »
Wasn't impressed with Senheiser either to tell you the truth.

Doubt the Bryston will be competitive price wise in the UK compared to the Schitt so then you'll have to weigh uo how much you value headphone listening.

Which preamp/integrated do you use and does it have a headphone o/p?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #345 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:55 pm »
Hi,

Is it going to have an inbuilt dac option?

Also, what are the output specs?

Thanks.

Hi Dune - no DAC - we have a DAC already - the BDA-1.

It will swing plus or minus 30 volts.

james

DaveNote

« Reply #346 on: 4 Oct 2011, 01:31 pm »
Wasn't impressed with Senheiser either to tell you the truth.

Doubt the Bryston will be competitive price wise in the UK compared to the Schitt so then you'll have to weigh uo how much you value headphone listening.

Which preamp/integrated do you use and does it have a headphone o/p?

One of the reasons I bought the Schiit Lyr was because it's relatively so inexpensive, and wouldn't bust my budget in case I decided to buy the BHA-1.

I have a Bryston Preamp and it does have a headphone jack, which in terms of sound is virtually identical to that of the Grace Designs m902, which costs more than the expected price of the BHA-1. The Lyr, with the volume turned up high, has a hum (which probbly is something in my house wiring), but even then, to my ears sounds better than the Grace. The Grace can sound closer when played at high volumes, but still lacks the musicality of the Lyr.

The Sennheiser HD800 is great if you're looking for accuracy and are a sound engineer or in the recording business. I am in neither of these categories. Enjoyment is my measuring stick.  I didn't know how dry and unexciting the HD800 is until I bought the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 doesn't have the HD800's wide soundstage, but seems to be very precisely defined. These cans have an intimate sound, and the bottom end is incredible - deeper than I've ever heard, and very punchy.

So, getting back to Bryston. Will the BHA-1 sound as musical as the Lyr driving the LCD-2? Will it add excitement to the HD800? If there are differences, will they be, as you point out, significant enough to justify paying more than twice the price of a Lyr.

The answer to all these questions, as always in audio, are entirely subjective. There will be listeners who love the HD800 and Grace, and hate the Lyr and LCD-2. And still others (often myself included) who are ready to pay big dollars for small but wanted differences. Fortunately, I should be able to demo to BHA-1 to come to some conclusion I'm prepared to live with.

However, whatever that decision might be, I still haven't figured out how to split my time between a great main audio system (PMC MB2i speakers, 7BSST Squared amps), and a very good headphone setup, which becomes even more problematic when you own more than one set of cans and HP amps.

BTW, the LCD-2 rolls off in the very high end, where at first it seemed that cymbals were just not strongly presented. But I switched to better interconnects from my BDA-1, and now I'm getting a better result.

Dave

terrycym

« Reply #347 on: 4 Oct 2011, 01:44 pm »
I was interested on your thoughts reagarding the hp o/p of the Bryston pre-amp.
Interesting.
Will the BHA-1 offer a big step up on that to justify the expence, time will tell.

I've heard the top of the range Grados too but I would image a few hours with though would give me a headache.

DaveNote

« Reply #348 on: 4 Oct 2011, 05:16 pm »
I was interested on your thoughts reagarding the hp o/p of the Bryston pre-amp.
Interesting.
Will the BHA-1 offer a big step up on that to justify the expence, time will tell.

I've heard the top of the range Grados too but I would image a few hours with though would give me a headache.

I was assured by someone who should know that if the BHA-1 doesn't sound better than the Bryston pre-amp headphone jack, then there was no point in building the BHA-1. Perfect logic, so the question should be how much better. This same person felt the preamp jack to be very good, and I agree given that it is as good as the pricey and excellent Grace m903.

I don't own the new Grado top end headphones, but have the RS-1s, which are quite old, but were once the best Grado made. I literally can't stand listening to them after hearing the HD800 and even better the LCD-2. But, once more, there are users who love Grados. Different strokes for different folks.

Dave

mkaiser

« Reply #349 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:44 pm »
Hi terrycym & DaveNote,

Have any of you tried Graham Slee headphone amps? They are manufactured in the UK. I have tried a few of the Solo models and they are reasonablly priced and sound very nice with most phones expensive or not so

Mark

Vipers

« Reply #350 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:47 pm »

However, whatever that decision might be, I still haven't figured out how to split my time between a great main audio system (PMC MB2i speakers, 7BSST Squared amps), and a very good headphone setup, which becomes even more problematic when you own more than one set of cans and HP amps.

Dave

Interesting reading Dave, as a fellow MB2i and 7B SST2 user I too have been deliberating which headphone path to take as terrycym will know.

I've now tried, top end Stax, awesome, HD800, not overly impressed, Grado GS1000's which I really liked, but I decided to wait till the BHA-1 is actually available and see how certian headphones perform before making my final decison.

I had kind of decided to give the HE-6's a try as I was hoping that a top pair of orthodynamic's would give me the best of electrostatics and dynamics but it sounds that I should really still consider the LCD-2's.

Trouble is it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to demo all these headphones, but at the same time reading a review can be of some help but ultimately you really need to live with the actual headphones you are interested in with the head amp you are going to use.

I really don't know how you can get a conclusion to this, other than buying 3 or 4 pairs of headphones  :scratch:

Is the BHA-1 actually available to buy yet?

And as a likely SP3 owner, how good will the headphone jack be on the SP3?

DaveNote

« Reply #351 on: 5 Oct 2011, 12:09 am »
Mark, I've not heard the Graham Slee, but have noticed they are often mentioned.

Viper, I'm new to buying multiple headphones and HP amps, which I got into by accident. There is a whole community out there whose members own many amps and cans. I don't know what to suggest if you want to go into the whole thing, because unless you live in a very large city, you just won't be able to demo either the amps or the headphones. I bought my Grace m902, Schiit Lyr, HD800 and LCD-2 sight unseen. I don't defend buying this way, but this is the way the world is. See the topic I started on the demo being dead -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97693.0

Your point about reviews proved, for me, to be helpful. But even these have to be taken carefully since they sometimes are off the mark. For example, one reviewer - a very good one - recently concluded the Stax is head and shoulders above all other cans. I've not heard the new ones, but he might be right. Yet his view of the LCD-2 was based on his using an earlier version. And as I have found, cables can make a big difference, and reviewers tend to use upgraded HP cables, which can cost an arm and a leg.

I guess there is a bad news good news thing about jumping into the HP world. The bad news is that you might have to spend a lot of money on speculation (i.e. no demo). The good news is that you spend a lot less than doing the same thing with top end audio gear.

My hope is that Bryston can do for the BHA-1 what it has done with the 7BSST squared amps - which is to make a very musical non-tubed amp. It seems to be particularly difficult to do as most of the top end HP amps use tubes.

Not much help I know, but food for thought.

Dave

mkaiser

« Reply #352 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:28 am »
Is the BHA-1 actually available to buy yet?

And as a likely SP3 owner, how good will the headphone jack be on the SP3?

I preordered a BHA1 about 3 weeks ago and the rep said i should recieve it at the end of Oct to mid Nov. Still don't know of a price yet but , Stereophile claims it will be $1295USD. Not sure if it is the powered or non-powered version they were referring to.

I would think the headphone jack on the SP3 will be the same as the ones on the preamps. You are best off with the BHA to fully enjoy the dynamics and transients attack of your music with a dedicated amp.

Mark

terrycym

« Reply #353 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:33 am »
You are best off with the BHA to fully enjoy the dynamics and transients attack of your music with a dedicated amp.

How do you know Mark?
One would assume that the BHA would outperform the o/p on the pre but by how much and is the price worth the extra cost.
Until the unit has been released and listened to, this is all conjecture, surely?
I'm guessing it would cost £1,500 in the UK (based on how the BDP is priced over here). That's a lot of money for a headphone amp especially when you will probably already own a fairly respectable one in your pre-amp.
I can't see a lot being sold in the UK, not in this economic climate especially when stuff like Schitt is available at a 1/3 of the cost.
Others may think otherwise.

95Dyna

« Reply #354 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:42 pm »
How do you know Mark?
One would assume that the BHA would outperform the o/p on the pre but by how much and is the price worth the extra cost.
Until the unit has been released and listened to, this is all conjecture, surely?
I'm guessing it would cost £1,500 in the UK (based on how the BDP is priced over here). That's a lot of money for a headphone amp especially when you will probably already own a fairly respectable one in your pre-amp.
I can't see a lot being sold in the UK, not in this economic climate especially when stuff like Schitt is available at a 1/3 of the cost.

Just saw two of the Schiit models at a local store.  Didn't have time to listen but they looked and felt very Brystonesque in their appearance and build quality.

DaveNote

« Reply #355 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:46 pm »
How do you know Mark?

You're right on the money (pun intended) when you say "Others may think otherwise." It all comes down to how much you use and value the headphone experience as to how much you're willing to spend on it. For those who love it who have the money, they will be willing to buy the top Stax for a stupendous price. For those who don't, $30 headphones just might be the upper limit of their purchase. It's the very same equation that audiophiles use when deciding to buy any equipment, for example Bryston 28Bs vs.4Bs. I have a friend in the UK who is mad for his new Grace Designs m903 which costs something in the £1500 range I believe. My m902 costs about $1400. I already had my respectable preamp HD jack, but bought it anyway. As I bought the HD800 already having the RS-1 Grado, and then the LCD-2 after the HD800. In fact, I had my more than respectable m902 and bought the better (IMO) Schiit Lyr anyway, and just might buy the BHA-1.

The answer to this litany of extravagance is this: A fool and his money are soon parted. Which just about explains how the audiophile mind works. :banghead:

1oldguy

« Reply #356 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:51 pm »

DaveNote

« Reply #357 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:37 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMfN0UFqms

Used the YouTube link. 1oldguy, you truly are one old guy, as am I.

Dave

mkaiser

« Reply #358 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm »
How do you know Mark?

Sorry, i meant you are better off with a dedicated head phone amplifier and not a preamps head phone output.

Mark

DaveNote

« Reply #359 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:09 pm »
Sorry, i meant you are better off with a dedicated head phone amplifier and not a preamps head phone output.

Mark

Mark, I prefer a dedicated headphone amp, but since my Bryston preamp headphone jack sounds the same as my Grace m902, it seems to me that some users, especially those who do not use headphones frequently, could be better off - especially financially - sticking with their preamps if they are satisfied with the sound they get. terrycym, in view of his comments on this topic, might be one of these users.

I also have a reason to proceed prudently as far as the BHA-1 is concerned. Having invested close to $2000 on two excellent dedicated HP amps, and not being a full-time HP user, I necessarily must be very demanding of the BHA-1 performance when I demo it. That is unfair to Bryston because I did not demo the other amps, but that is one of the many consequences of the fact that the demo is all but dead (and therefore unfair to audio consumers) for many products in many places.

Dave