Bryston Headphone Interface

Marius

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #320 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:37 pm »
Nope, space could not be the problem..

I'm talking about the BHA here, not the BP26, which is perfect the way it is...Just if the preferred way of connecting the BHA is by means of the tape loop, it would be so very nice if the BHA offered a way to pass the original tape loop through and keep that functionality alive...
The BHA has a lot of room on the back.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Marius

:scratch: Awww.... i forgot this one. Of course,... space.. :duh:

Thanks Steve! :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #321 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:42 pm »
Correct - there is only so much space available.  You can use a Y connector on the outputs without any issues if you do need two sets of Balanced outs.

james

Marius

« Reply #322 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:54 pm »
Oh, so that would be the way to keep the tape loop in function? Should have said so before James.

Please elaborate, how do I go about to connect the bha to the bp26 and where do I put the Y connector.

Wouldn't the Y connector bring the risk of deterioration of sound quality? If not that would be a very easy solution  :thumb:

Thanks!
Marius

Correct - there is only so much space available.  You can use a Y connector on the outputs without any issues if you do need two sets of Balanced outs.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #323 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:57 pm »

james

...using a Y-connector without ANY issues?!?! that's good to know :thumb: :thumb:
i assume you mean that the connector has to be used with two amplifier's xlr inputs?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #324 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:04 pm »
Oh, so that would be the way to keep the tape loop in function? Should have said so before James.

Please elaborate, how do I go about to connect the bha to the bp26 and where do I put the Y connector.

Wouldn't the Y connector bring the risk of deterioration of sound quality? If not that would be a very easy solution  :thumb:

Thanks!
Marius

OK maybe we are not on the same page here - what I am saying is the BP-26 has more than enough voltage out to drive many amplifiers at once so if you want to Y the Balanced outs and run two or three amplifiers then feel free.

james

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #325 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:07 pm »
Nope, space could not be the problem..

I'm talking about the BHA here, not the BP26, which is perfect the way it is...Just if the preferred way of connecting the BHA is by means of the tape loop, it would be so very nice if the BHA offered a way to pass the original tape loop through and keep that functionality alive...
The BHA has a lot of room on the back.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Marius

But sometimes the 'loop' may 'alter' the signals abit, although very little but still not desireable.

A friend of mine had a Mcintosh 'room EQ processor', which goes in between the signal path and had a bypass mode,the manual stated ' in this mode it will NOT alter the signal in any way' but the highs became abit darker in this mode, barely noticable but we all noticed it in an AB  blind test.

I use the outputs on the gears whenever possible, but if that's not an option (for example, bi-amping), i use the shotgun XLR cables (Y connector) because IMO it's somehow 'cleaner' than internal loops or bypass/switch box because at the very least there's less metal, soldering and connectors in the signal path . :green:

But since we were talking about headphone amp, i'm not sure Y-connectors r good if i use it to link my CD player to headphone amp and pre amp(BP26) at the same time, since the CDP's signal is 'weaker'?  :scratch:

Marius

« Reply #326 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:12 pm »
hmmm, not sure I am sure.

I don't want to "Y the balanced outs", I want the tape loop to be functional and use the BHA...

for a moment I thought you said that was possible with a Y-connector, but I believe to have to believe that hope is gone again.

OK maybe we are not on the same page here - what I am saying is the BP-26 has more than enough voltage out to drive many amplifiers at once so if you want to Y the Balanced outs and run two or three amplifiers then feel free.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #327 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:17 pm »
...in my case: i like the idea of using y-cables in order to drive another Bryston amp with my 26! that's very good, because i prefer the xlr connections :D
hmmm, maybe i should try the 4B + 3B for bi-amping now?!? :thumb:

al.

BrysTony

« Reply #328 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:22 pm »
hmmm, not sure I am sure.

I don't want to "Y the balanced outs", I want the tape loop to be functional and use the BHA...

for a moment I thought you said that was possible with a Y-connector, but I believe to have to believe that hope is gone again.

Seems to me you should put a Y-connector on the tape out and connect a line to the tape recorder and the BHA.  That would take the BP-26 volume control out of the system and should give you what you need.

Tony

Marius

« Reply #329 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:46 pm »
Hi Tony,
you mean something like this
http://www.headphone.com/productphotos/large/0060210000_102.jpg ?

would it keep the tape loop switch functional?

What I don't see yet is how it all works. Usually when plugging in the Headphone, the speakers are muted. In the tape loop the source is permanently to the "to tape" or "record". Speakers are not muted, right? So A/B 'ing the headphone/speakers is done with the mute switch? Or does that mute the source into the tape also connected to the BHA.

Flipping the tape switch to "from tape" or "play" still plays my tape?

I see balanced (XLR's) and rca (SE) in's on the BHA back, that would be connected to the "to tape". In my case the SE. What setup would need the XLR's. Also I see a stereo-connection. What goes in there?

I really need a visual here. Is a scheme available?

Thanks again,
Marius

Seems to me you should put a Y-connector on the tape out and connect a line to the tape recorder and the BHA.  That would take the BP-26 volume control out of the system and should give you what you need.

Tony

Marius

« Reply #330 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:14 am »
pictures always tell a better story, this is what I meant:

http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/lite/images/lite_back_high.jpg
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gsx/images/gsx_back_stacked_high.jpg

of course we need that in Bryston quality..

Marius

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #331 on: 24 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm »
Hi Tony,
you mean something like this
http://www.headphone.com/productphotos/large/0060210000_102.jpg ?

Just a splitter plug, no boxes like the one you linked to in the previous post. The more electronics you introduce the more distortion and loss you get.

This indeed is all. The male end goes into the "tape out" on the BP26, then one end goes to the BHA, the other end goes to your recorder.

would it keep the tape loop switch functional?

The tape loop switch only affects the loop INPUT on the BP26, NOT the output, those are selected by the source knob.
From the manual:

Tape Outputs: The “TO TAPE” outputs are selected by the rotary ‘SOURCE” knob and are provided as a recording output. This feed is unaffected by the operation of other front panel controls.

So all that happens is the OUTPUT signal from the BP26 is split to the input on the recorder and the input on the BHA, nothing more.

What I don't see yet is how it all works. Usually when plugging in the Headphone, the speakers are muted. In the tape loop the source is permanently to the "to tape" or "record". Speakers are not muted, right? So A/B 'ing the headphone/speakers is done with the mute switch? Or does that mute the source into the tape also connected to the BHA.

The sound from a source ONLY gets muted if a headphone is plugged into an integrated device, like a receiver or an amplifier that has the pre amp and the power amp in one box.

The BP26 is a pre amplifier, that has no headphone amplifier integrated. You will need a separate device for that, which is the BHA. To prevent the signal from reaching the loudspeakers you turn the poweramp (I do not know that you have, so as an example) 4B SST2 off, or you turn the volume on the BP26 to zero. The BHA then functions as the pre amplifier AND the power amplifier for your headphones. The BP26 ONLY functions as a source selector.

Flipping the tape switch to "from tape" or "play" still plays my tape?

Yes, no changes there. the BHA is ONLY connected to the tape output on the BP26, NOT to the input.

I see balanced (XLR's) and rca (SE) in's on the BHA back, that would be connected to the "to tape". In my case the SE. What setup would need the XLR's. Also I see a stereo-connection. What goes in there?

The BHA will be connected via the RCA, because the BP26 does not have a balanced rec out. There is no benefit from going from RCA to XLR in a cable.

Marius

« Reply #332 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:06 pm »
well thank you Anonamemouse!

one more: if split into the two (recorder and BHA) the signal halves? Would it be still strong enough, or put in other words, up to specification for either BHA and recorder?

Marius

btw, the two pics above with the tape loops, are no splitter-boxes, but the back of two headphone amps, that do have tape loop passthrough...

No, no boxes, just a splitter plug. The more electronics you introduce the more distortion and loss you get.

This indeed is all. The male end goes into the "tape out" on the BP26, then one end goes to the BHA, the other end goes to your recorder.

The tape loop switch only affects the loop INPUT on the BP26, NOT the output, those are selected by the source knob.
From the manual:

So all that happens is the OUTPUT signal from the BP26 is split to the input on the recorder and the input on the BHA, nothing more.

The sound from a source ONLY gets muted if a headphone is plugged into an integrated device, like a receiver or an amplifier that has the pre amp and the power amp in one box.

The BP26 is a pre amplifier, that has no headphone amplifier integrated. You will need a separate device for that, which is the BHA. To prevent the signal from reaching the loudspeakers you turn the poweramp (I do not know that you have, so as an example) 4B SST2 off, or you turn the volume on the BP26 to zero. The BHA then functions as the pre amplifier AND the power amplifier for your headphones. The BP26 ONLY functions as a source selector.

Yes, no changes there. the BHA is ONLY connected to the tape output on the BP26, NOT to the input.

The BHA will be connected via the RCA, because the BP26 does not have a balanced rec out. There is no benefit from going from RCA to XLR in a cable.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #333 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:11 pm »
well thank you Anonamemouse!

Graag gedaan!

one more: if split into the two (recorder and BHA) the signal halves? Would it be still strong enough, or put in other words, up to specification for either BHA and recorder?

According to James it is. Actually, unless you use both the BHA and your recorder at the same time, the signal is not split. It only is split in two if you have both the recorder and the BHA in use at the same time.

NB: When you are recording something it is NOT a good plan to turn the BHA on or off, because that will either cut the signal in half or boost the signal to double value.

btw, the two pics above with the tape loops, are no splitter-boxes, but the back of two headphone amps, that do have tape loop passthrough...

Trust me, you really don't need that.

Marius

« Reply #334 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:15 pm »
ok, thanks again!

It won't happen too often, and recording is almost always more comfortable through the Headphones.

not to be finicky, but I believe your last two sentences to be contradicting each other..it would be the exact reason why we do need it. Or at least why this adapter-thingy is not a real solution.

On or off, we need a pass through that does not interfere or change the signal, independent of the BHA being in or off.

nogmaals dank!  :D thanks again,
Marius
Graag gedaan!

According to James it is. Actually, unless you use both the BHA and your recorder at the same time, the signal is not split. It only is split in two if you have both the recorder and the BHA in use.

NB: When you are recording something it is NOT a good plan to turn the BHA on or off, because that will either cut the signal in half or boost the signal to double value.

Trust me, you really don't need that.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #335 on: 25 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm »
Hi Marius

I have been thinking about the issue with only one tape out on the BP 26 and I will ask engineering but maybe we can configure one of the two pairs of RCA OUTs to be unity gain?

Will let you know.

James
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2011, 06:09 pm by James Tanner »

Marius

« Reply #336 on: 25 Sep 2011, 03:12 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
James, the thinking never stops! Wonderful. Thanks for this.

(couldn't you ask engineering about a built in tape loop in the BHA also......;-) and if not, why haven;'t you considered it, or if you did, why did you decide not to .

o wait a minute, if you'd reconfigure, the BHA could be connected to that, and the tape loop would still be in use for the recorder, wouldn't it? If you'd make that switchable, I mean the rca out, it would be the ultimate in versatility. A mini switch on the back, just like on the Phono-amp, switch to MM or MC. Bp26 on steroids!

Marius

Hi Marius

I have been thinking about the issue with only one tape out on the BP 26 and I will ask engineering but maybe we can configure one of the two pairs of RCA OUTs to be unit gain?

Will let you know.

James

rob80b

« Reply #337 on: 25 Sep 2011, 05:34 pm »
Hi Marius

I have been thinking about the issue with only one tape out on the BP 26 and I will ask engineering but maybe we can configure one of the two pairs of RCA OUTs to be unity gain?

Will let you know.

James

Hi James

I often thought of that; for those who do not use the polarity switch maybe they could have their BP25/26 modified so that it could be used to switch the second unbalanced out either to pre or tape out #2.
I’m currently running my tape out to a BR60 at the listening position for headphone listening of movies but my main head-amp has to be disconnected, my previous had a loop out.
Could just add a splitter, but a second direct out from the BP25 would come in handy, just a thought.

Robert

« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2011, 06:08 pm by James Tanner »

brucek

« Reply #338 on: 25 Sep 2011, 07:07 pm »
Quote from: Marius
if split into the two (recorder and BHA) the signal halves? Would it be still strong enough

Since the splitter places the two devices in parallel, then the voltage on each parallel leg will remain the same. Only the load impedance that the source (BP26) sees will be reduced. Generally, the low output impedance of a solid state device can be split many times before it becomes a concern.

Whether the parallel devices (BHA & Tape unit) are powered up, matters not. The parallel load impedance of the BHA and Tape unit will alway be present while the splitter is connected.
I see no problem though.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #339 on: 26 Sep 2011, 05:35 pm »
Since the splitter places the two devices in parallel, then the voltage on each parallel leg will remain the same. Only the load impedance that the source (BP26) sees will be reduced. Generally, the low output impedance of a solid state device can be split many times before it becomes a concern.

Whether the parallel devices (BHA & Tape unit) are powered up, matters not. The parallel load impedance of the BHA and Tape unit will alway be present while the splitter is connected.
I see no problem though.
Duh on my part... You are correct! I totally did not think of that... :duh: