Bryston Headphone Interface

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #300 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:05 pm »
Ok, but where do I leave my play and rec interconnects that go ( or at least went...) into my recorder?
should I find another setup for that, or is there a passthrough on the BHA1?

Marius

No pass-through.... so you're stuck!!! or use one of the Preouts on the BP26.

james

Marius

« Reply #301 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:32 pm »
 :( :(

That's really too bad. Couldn't you redesign one more time? And that way keep  the bp26 the way Bryston intended and designed it, ....and customers use it....?

I especially bought this version of the bp26 because of this functionality, and would hate to miss it and just use a pre-out for recording purposes.

Please?
Marius

james

skunark

« Reply #302 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:26 am »
You can also use the output of the BDA for the BHA

Marius

« Reply #303 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:14 am »
??
No non digital sources would reach the BDA? like my record-player. and FM tuner.

Marius

You can also use the output of the BDA for the BHA

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #304 on: 23 Sep 2011, 11:50 am »
ps other thing: how would the BHA be connected to the BP26? In the tape loop? Doesn't that interfere with the tape-rec monitoring?
I can't seem to find a technical description in this forum, or on the website.

You actually own a device that allows for analog recording, like a tape deck? I must say, I am amazed...  :o

Just wondering, what do you record? And, from personal experience (I used to record lots as well and then never played or watched whatever I recorded, so I just gave the thing away), do you ever play it back now that you have the BDP and such?

Marius

« Reply #305 on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm »
 :D
yep I do.

besides the fact that I'm like forever on the waiting list for a Nak. Dragon, I do have a lot of my own live recordings that were aired on radio, and to my knowledge have found no digital disclosure yet. I have no means of transferring them to the BDP, or any other digital player for that matter.

I do have the Bryston digitals, but do not own a digital recording apparatus, although that might be a good replacement for my current recorder. Which is a vhs-recorder that is able to use the full bandwidth of the tape to record audio only. Of course this is "old" technique. But so is my record player. And there's no debate about that functionality, Bryston even has a separate Phono-stage. Which is also in my setup. I'm lucky to be able to play those records in hi-end Bryston quality.

I do listen to a lot of live radio transmission all over the world, and tend to like recording those, and hope to be able to do that in the future. I'd hate to loose the functionality of my Bp26, especially bought in this configuration.... :cry:

A separate debate could be held about analog or digital, but this is not the place for that. or is it?

Thanks,
Marius

You actually own a device that allows for analog recording, like a tape deck? I must say, I am amazed...  :o

Just wondering, what do you record? And, from personal experience (I used to record lots as well and then never played or watched whatever I recorded, so I just gave the thing away), do you ever play it back now that you have the BDP and such?

terrycym

« Reply #306 on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:59 pm »
Hey Marius,

If you ever decide to get a digital recorder, these guys do a good selection and they're pretty knowledgeable.

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/

They do portable & rack mount some of which does 24bit, 96k too

Having said that, the Nagra digital recorder is very nice. I know someone who uses the 4 track version. His live recordings are outstanding

Terry

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #307 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:37 pm »

james

James, Marius isn't alone in his question/issue. I confess I have not heard the term preouts before. Does this mean any of the two channel outputs on the BP26?

There are a lot of people who own several headphones and headphone amps, and they don't want to be connecting and reconnecting them.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #308 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:43 pm »
James, Marius isn't alone in his question/issue. I confess I have not heard the term preouts before. Does this mean any of the two channel outputs on the BP26?

There are a lot of people who own several headphones and headphone amps, and they don't want to be connecting and reconnecting them.

Dave

Yes you can use a pair of the PREOUTs on the rear of the BD26 but you are then going through the volume control on the BP-26.

james

Marius

« Reply #309 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:56 pm »
...and since you advised against that earlier, that would be short of a real solution.....no?

Marius

Yes you can use a pair of the PREOUTs on the rear of the BD26 but you are then going through the volume control on the BP-26.

james

mkaiser

« Reply #310 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:29 pm »
Hi James,
Any ideas on the prices? I pre-ordered mine and they said delivery would be around end of October.

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #311 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:35 pm »
...and since you advised against that earlier, that would be short of a real solution.....no?

Marius

Correct.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #312 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:35 pm »
Hi James,
Any ideas on the prices? I pre-ordered mine and they said delivery would be around end of October.

Mark

Hi Mark,

We are still looking at it so will be another week or so before I know.

james

Marius

« Reply #313 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:30 pm »
So you might reconsider and implement a pass-through? (or what would be the official term for it?)

Marius
Wouldn't understand why not, wouldn't it make the Bha more versatile?

Correct.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #314 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:34 pm »
So you might reconsider and implement a pass-through? (or what would be the official term for it?)

Marius
Wouldn't understand why not, wouldn't it make the Bha more versatile?

No sorry  ....too far alone for that.

james

Marius

« Reply #315 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:53 pm »
Hi James,

Of course its your call, and your company, so I fully respect that. But sometimes you amaze me: You made the most beautiful preamp in the world with great specifications, with all possible additions and options that don't exclude each other, but make the Bp26 even stronger, and used to its full extent.

Then you make a wonderful BHA. but which is not fully compatible with your own Bp26? It compromises the versatility of an extremely balanced product.

Why not just make that small adjustment (or it seems that way at least) so that very satisfied Bp26 users can stay that way, and with addition of the BHA, even further enjoy their system with the ultimate headphone system.

That way being able to use the tape loop what it was invented for, (and bought for....) and still use all the features of both machines.
Also taken into account that there would be no reason not to do it, there is no technical disadvantage to implement that pass-through, or is there?

no offense meant at all, but left in full doubt,

greets,
Marius

No sorry  ....too far alone for that.

james

mkaiser

« Reply #316 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:00 pm »
Hi Mark,

We are still looking at it so will be another week or so before I know.

james/quote]

Okay, thanks for the update.

Mark

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #317 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:15 pm »
Hi James,

Of course its your call, and your company, so I fully respect that. But sometimes you amaze me: You made the most beautiful preamp in the world with great specifications, with all possible additions and options that don't exclude each other, but make the Bp26 even stronger, and used to its full extent.

Then you make a wonderful BHA. but which is not fully compatible with your own Bp26? It compromises the versatility of an extremely balanced product.

Why not just make that small adjustment (or it seems that way at least) so that very satisfied Bp26 users can stay that way, and with addition of the BHA, even further enjoy their system with the ultimate headphone system.

That way being able to use the tape loop what it was invented for, (and bought for....) and still use all the features of both machines.
Also taken into account that their would be no reason not to do it, there is no technical disadvantage to implement that pass-through, or is there?

no offense meant at all, but left in full doubt,

greets,
Marius

Great point! Marius!

Because the BP26 only had ONE balanced XLR output (which always goes to the power amp of course.)  and only RCA for the tape loop. I always wanted another set of XLR outputs,  or a tape loop using XLR sockets because my current headphone amp only had XLR inputs.

There must be some reasons that Bryston offered only one set balanced XLR output, maybe it's because bridging the main output with another set of outputs would compromise the sound/signal quality in some way?  I know we can always buy one of those 'shotgun' cables with 2 sets of plugs on one end, but i'm still wondering why.

srb

« Reply #318 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:22 pm »
There must be some reasons that Bryston offered only one set balanced XLR output .....

The BP 26 is a 1U slimline enclosure and there is no available room on the back panel for additional connectors.  A new preamp in a 2U enclosure like the BP 16 would be needed for more outputs.

Steve

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #319 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:29 pm »

The BP 26 is a 1U slimline enclosure and there is no available room on the back panel for additional connectors.  A new preamp in a 2U enclosure like the BP 16 would be needed for more outputs.

Steve

:scratch: Awww.... i forgot this one. Of course,... space.. :duh:

Thanks Steve! :green: