Bryston Headphone Interface

terrycym

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #120 on: 27 Apr 2011, 06:11 pm »
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the amp require two XLR output jacks for balanced headphones? Every balanced amp I've seen was configured this way.
I'm with you Chris, which is why I was confused.
See here...
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/balancedheadphones/one.html
an more here...
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/cables/cardas-balanced-headphone-cable-for-hd650-20ft.php
Deffo two XLRs

rob80b

« Reply #121 on: 27 Apr 2011, 07:07 pm »
Hi Chris,

In the case of headphones it is a 4 wire connection with no common ground - so 2 wires per headphone cup.

james

If your phones are dual xlr you'll need one of these.

rob80b

« Reply #122 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:07 pm »
Hi James

Any chance of implementing a small balance control? (we want it all you know)

Robert

mkaiser

« Reply #123 on: 28 Apr 2011, 11:38 am »
Hi James,
The new unit looks great. Will Bryston manufacture it's own balanced cable?
I have to agree with some of the others that i have never seen a head amp with one balanced input on the front plate.
When you design the other larger head amp later on this year do you think that one will have dual plugs on the front flat to accept all formats of balanced cables?
Iam only asking because my Sennheiser HD800 only take the dual plug.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Do you mean a Balanced Y connector to use with the BHA-1?

james
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2011, 03:52 pm by James Tanner »

nikon

« Reply #124 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm »
James

The units shown in the images do not show 'Bryston'

Will this be engraved or silk screened on production units

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #125 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:54 pm »
James

The units shown in the images do not show 'Bryston'

Will this be engraved or silk screened on production units

Hi nikon

We will probably do the inserts like on the preamp.

james

guest62208

« Reply #126 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:56 am »
Yeah, I'm aware that the jack is for headphones, I just can't recall ever seeing a headphone amplifier with only one XLR output jack. Every pair of balanced headphones I've seen had two XLRs. I have a pair of AKG K702s that are not balanced, so it's neither here nor there to me, for now. I just found it odd seeing a lone XLR jack like that...

I can't see a real need for a balance control, personally. This definitely wouldn't be a feature on my headphone amp wish list. Balance control for a loudspeaker set-up makes more sense, given that speakers are often set up in asymmetrical rooms and such.

myview

« Reply #127 on: 29 Apr 2011, 07:59 am »
Hi James,

Many high-end headphone owners have their headphones terminated “balanced” with 2 x 3-pin XLR.  “Balanced” with 1 x 4-pin XLR is slightly less common but not rare.  Getting an adaptor from 2 x 3-pin to 1 x 4-pin and vice versa is not difficult but some paranoid people are wary of using any form of adaptor for fear of degradation of sound.

As far as I know, almost all desktop/home headphone amps offer single-ended outputs.  Quite a few of the better ones offer “2 x 3-pin XLR” + “1 single-ended” outputs.  The occasional one will offer “2 x 3-pin XLR” + “1 x 4-pin XLR” + “1 single-ended”.  If you’d like to see a list of amplifiers offering the different options, I will be happy to E-mail it to you.

I think the Bryston headphone amp should offer at least “2 x 3-pin XLR” (since it’s very common) + “1 single-ended output”.  If it can offer an additional “1 x 4-pin XLR”, it will be a big bonus.  What do others think?

I am eagerly awaiting pictures of more proto-types of the Bryston headphone amp!

rob80b

« Reply #128 on: 29 Apr 2011, 10:58 am »
Yeah, I'm aware that the jack is for headphones, I just can't recall ever seeing a headphone amplifier with only one XLR output jack. Every pair of balanced headphones I've seen had two XLRs. I have a pair of AKG K702s that are not balanced, so it's neither here nor there to me, for now. I just found it odd seeing a lone XLR jack like that...

I can't see a real need for a balance control, personally. This definitely wouldn't be a feature on my headphone amp wish list. Balance control for a loudspeaker set-up makes more sense, given that speakers are often set up in asymmetrical rooms and such.

Hi Chris

Not everyone has perfect hearing in both ears or they may be affected by seasonal allergies diminishing hearing in one ear, nor are all recordings properly balanced between left and right.
Headphone amps are also used for professional monitoring in the absence of speakers and a balance control is the easiest way to check noise and levels independently for each channel.

Using dual xlr connectors came about a few years ago from those experimenting by driving their phones directly from pre-amps or processors with balanced outputs, cable manufactures soon followed, IMHO a single five pin jack would be a cleaner and more compact solution, but I guess Bryston could implement dual xlr before final production as one less adapter would be better sonically.

Robert
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm by rob80b »

guest62208

« Reply #129 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:16 am »
Hi Chris

Not everyone has perfect hearing in both ears or they may be affected by seasonal allergies diminishing hearing in one ear, nor are all recordings properly balanced between left and right.
Headphone amps are also used for professional monitoring in the absence of speakers and a balance control is the easiest way to check noise and levels independently for each channel.

Using dual xlr connectors came about a few years ago from those experimenting by driving their phones directly from pre-amps or processors with balanced outputs, cable manufactures soon followed, IMHO a single five pin jack would be a cleaner and more compact solution, but I guess Bryston could implement dual xlr before final production as one less adapter would be better sonically.

Robert

Point taken re: balance control. I can only speak for myself when I say it's not a feature I require.

I agree that a single XLR jack would be cleaner and more compact. It's just a matter of 'swimming upstream' against what's common in the marketplace, I guess. If Bryston was going to sell the appropriate cables, that'd be helpful. It would be nice if there was a single industry standard in this regard.

What do you guys think of the XLR & 1/4" combo jacks, like this Neutrik for example?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 1 May 2011, 12:42 pm »
New Pic

james

john1970

« Reply #131 on: 1 May 2011, 06:23 pm »
Hi James,

Interesting product and one that I might purchase once it becomes available.  A couple of quick questions:

1) Can BHI be used with the MPS2 power supply or does it require the purchase of the new power supply?

2) Any idea on what the price range will be?

Cheers,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 1 May 2011, 06:59 pm »
Hi James,

Interesting product and one that I might purchase once it becomes available.  A couple of quick questions:

1) Can BHI be used with the MPS2 power supply or does it require the purchase of the new power supply?

2) Any idea on what the price range will be?

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Yes the MPS 2 could be used

Not sure on pricing yet - I am hoping around $1000

James

nikon

« Reply #133 on: 2 May 2011, 01:15 pm »
Hi James

Is the 1000 approx. price for the preamp unit only or for both preamp and power supply

If power supply is separate what would approx. price  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 2 May 2011, 03:13 pm »
Hi James

Is the 1000 approx. price for the preamp unit only or for both preamp and power supply

If power supply is separate what would approx. price  :)

Change of plans - we are looking at expanding on the idea and having a single full size chassis that can accept an internal power supply or use the MPS-2 as well. 

Also based on some of the suggestions we will have 3 XLR connections - 2 will be 3 Pin and 1- will be 4 pin.

james

rob80b

« Reply #135 on: 2 May 2011, 03:25 pm »
Excellent idea James, now there'll room for a balance control :D and dual headphone jacks, not everyone listens alone.
Also it'll be stack-able with the rest of the gear.

Robert

terrycym

« Reply #136 on: 2 May 2011, 03:31 pm »
Change of plans - we are looking at expanding on the idea and having a single full size chassis that can accept an internal power supply or use the MPS-2 as well. 

Also based on some of the suggestions we will have 3 XLR connections - 2 will be 3 Pin and 1- will be 4 pin.

james

Good idea James, I knew you'd get there in the end  :)
I guessed you coudn't meet expectations as you'd run out of front panel space.
Regarding a balance control, what about a dual gang volume control?

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #137 on: 2 May 2011, 10:52 pm »
I like the single chassis with internal supply idea . :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #138 on: 6 May 2011, 03:53 pm »

james

James, will this unit be the size of the BP6?

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 6 May 2011, 05:09 pm »
James, will this unit be the size of the BP6?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Still looking at that - do you like the idea of matching a chassis size that we currently use?

james