Bryston Headphone Interface

terrycym

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #380 on: 28 Oct 2011, 08:27 am »
Chances are that if you fly to Toronto, rent a car to drive to Petersborough, shake James's hand, load the boxes into the trunk and fly back to the UK you will be a lot cheaper off than when buying it through PMC...

Then you'll get no support from PMC and you'll have to negotiate a return to the factory if it goes wrong?

I doubt that Bryston would do this. It's unethical, they'll be shafting PMC's margins

Vipers

« Reply #381 on: 28 Oct 2011, 10:50 am »
Chances are that if you fly to Toronto, rent a car to drive to Petersborough, shake James's hand, load the boxes into the trunk and fly back to the UK you will be a lot cheaper off than when buying it through PMC...

Good idea, I could do with a holiday :)

Vipers

« Reply #382 on: 28 Oct 2011, 10:57 am »
Regarding the BP1.5, does anyone know if it comes with the MPS-2 as standard or does it have to be bought as an extra?
Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #383 on: 28 Oct 2011, 11:41 am »
Regarding the BP1.5, does anyone know if it comes with the MPS-2 as standard or does it have to be bought as an extra?
Thanks.

Hi Vipers

The MPS is extra.

James

Vipers

« Reply #384 on: 28 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm »
Hi Vipers

The MPS is extra.

James

Thanks James, now that I've sold the BP26 that means the BP1.5 + MPS-2 comes in at around £4500, that may be a bit rich for me at the moment, shame, at least I've got the SP3 to look forward to.

slingshot

« Reply #385 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:49 am »
What is the status? Are the models with the external power supply now shipping? There doesn't seem to be any info on the website.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #386 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:26 am »
What is the status? Are the models with the external power supply now shipping? There doesn't seem to be any info on the website.

Hi

Sorry slingshot - two issues came up - initially metal work changes due to a layout change caused a short delay and then fortuitously as we were doing some more research on the headphone circuits and we found a circuit that is just superb so we are changing the original design to reflect those changes.

James

Marius

« Reply #387 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:54 am »
HI James,

Since you are redesigning: considering a Tape-loop Passthrough too?

Thanks,
Marius

(fingers crossed)

Hi

Sorry slingshot - two issues came up - initially metal work changes due to a layout change caused a short delay and then fortuitously as we were doing some more research on the headphone circuits and we found a circuit that is just superb so we are changing the original design to reflect those changes.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #388 on: 9 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm »
HI James,

Since you are redesigning: considering a Tape-loop Passthrough too?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius

No sorry that is not in the cards.  We are not redesigning the overall layout just the gain stages.

Jame

James

(fingers crossed)

Marius

« Reply #389 on: 9 Nov 2011, 01:18 pm »
bummer..
believed to have seen a speck of light in your metal work changes.....

will have to wait for Bha-2 then I guess. Or....well, just have to hear it first, I just might be tempted anyway.

Marius

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #390 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:33 pm »
James, do you have an update on the estimated shipping date for the BHA-1?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #391 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:38 pm »
James, do you have an update on the estimated shipping date for the BHA-1?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I hope by Christmas

james

DaveNote

« Reply #392 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:34 pm »
Thanks, James. Good to get an idea of availability.

BTW, with the new circuit you're using, how does the sound now differ from the original one you were going to use?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #393 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:36 pm »
Thanks, James. Good to get an idea of availability.

BTW, with the new circuit you're using, how does the sound now differ from the original one you were going to use?

Dave

I find it a bit more listen into - so I find the resolution of small details are better.

james

DaveNote

« Reply #394 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:05 pm »
Thanks, again, James. The reason I'm probing you about the sound is that now that I am running 7BSST2 amps, I've discovered something new in the Bryston sound that wasn't in the 7BSSTs, or the other Bryston amps I have had. They have always been very accurate, but we're missing somethng that until recently I had not heard in my system. I have only one component that uses tubes, and it has a kind of musicality (is that the word?) that the 7BSST2s now give me to an unprecedented degree. That tube component is a headphone amp (like the sound, but not the tubes and all that goes with them). The headphone jack on my BP 26 is excellent, but much less musical and enjoyable than the tube headphone jack I'm running. So I'm wondering if the BHA-1 is likely to have the musical sound of the Bryston squared amps?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #395 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:13 pm »
Thanks, again, James. The reason I'm probing you about the sound is that now that I am running 7BSST2 amps, I've discovered something new in the Bryston sound that wasn't in the 7BSSTs, or the other Bryston amps I have had. They have always been very accurate, but we're missing somethng that until recently I had not heard in my system. I have only one component that uses tubes, and it has a kind of musicality (is that the word?) that the 7BSST2s now give me to an unprecedented degree. That tube component is a headphone amp (like the sound, but not the tubes and all that goes with them). The headphone jack on my BP 26 is excellent, but much less musical and enjoyable than the tube headphone jack I'm running. So I'm wondering if the BHA-1 is likely to have the musical sound of the Bryston squared amps?

Dave

Hi Dave,

The demo will tell of course but I could do a special BHA-1 for you with a small tube in the output stage :lol:

james

DaveNote

« Reply #396 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »
James - Great offer for a tube lover!  :lol:  But I'm not one. I like the sound, but dislike the hum I have on my unit, and don't like the prospective hassle about finding and buying tubes. Guess I'm an incurable solid state guy.

I'm interested in the BHA-1 because (a) Bryston has never disappointed me, and (b) and there will be no tubes in it.

But setting everything - including appreciated pleasantries - about tubes aside, I notice you didn't answer my question.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #397 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:18 pm »
James - Great offer for a tube lover!  :lol:  But I'm not one. I like the sound, but dislike the hum I have on my unit, and don't like the prospective hassle about finding and buying tubes. Guess I'm an incurable solid state guy.

I'm interested in the BHA-1 because (a) Bryston has never disappointed me, and (b) and there will be no tubes in it.

But setting everything - including appreciated pleasantries - about tubes aside, I notice you didn't answer my question.

Dave

Well I do not think it is something I can definitively answer for you Dave. One man's musicality may differ from another's. Our goal has always been to provide as accurate a signal path as we know how to do from input to output.

james

DaveNote

« Reply #398 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:36 pm »
Thanks for your answer, James. Of course, you're right. There is one thing, however, that must have been part of your design objectives, namely that the BHA-1 must sound markedly better than the headphone jack on other Bryston equipment. If that wasn't one of your goals, then not only would there have been no point to the project, but the result would cheese off all Bryston preamp owners who would ask why they spent $1300 to get a box that does only what their headphone jacks already do.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #399 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:54 pm »
Thanks for your answer, James. Of course, you're right. There is one thing, however, that must have been part of your design objectives, namely that the BHA-1 must sound markedly better than the headphone jack on other Bryston equipment. If that wasn't one of your goals, then not only would there have been no point to the project, but the result would cheese off all Bryston preamp owners who would ask why they spent $1300 to get a box that does only what their headphone jacks already do.

Dave

Well I guess that will be a wait and see :D

james