KEF LS50 and Audience The One compared to Omega 3i or Omega 3 Desktop

Flinx99

For those who have a version of the Super 3 on their desktops, a more jarring example of the sound I've referenced is The Ledge, by the Replacements.  It's on their album, Pleased to Meet Me.  In my setup this song is unbearable and it's because of the bass guitar.  No issue with the song on headphones, nor when listening across the room.   I pushed my monitors back, pulled my speakers forward and toed them in slightly.  I even swapped out my stands.  No improvement.  If this is a nearfield only problem, I need to get a good feel for how the Super 3s perform as nearfield monitors.  I am leaning towards 3is, but if the Desktops solve the issue, I'm open. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;image=119135;size=huge

Thanks.

RDavidson

As the problem seems to be isolated to your speakers and it occurs across different songs, I'm suspect that something is wrong with the speakers or something in your room (possibly on your desk or inside a desk drawer) is vibrating at certain frequencies.

Flinx99

As the problem seems to be isolated to your speakers and it occurs across different songs, I'm suspect that something is wrong with the speakers or something in your room (possibly on your desk or inside a desk drawer) is vibrating at certain frequencies.

I would completely agree if I couldn't replicate this issue on other systems and different environments (all nearfield).  I'm completely OCD about vibrations, which is another reason I have DIY tank stands.  :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
I notice bloated mid bass in that song which I find very annoying.  It wasn't on an Omega based system I tried it on, but my little Altec ATP3 2.1.  In your latest picture your system looks better set up than in the previous image.  I would keep the lamps from heating up the speakers - from here it looks like they could.  Speakers don't like that kind of heat.

I personally like JLMs suggestion of one big monitor vs multiples, and with that big monitor set back against the wall.  I keep my 23" Dell close to the back wall so the speakers aren't compromised by it.

One thing you will notice with the Super 3i and Super 3 Desktop is the linearity of the frequency response, hence no mid bass hump like your B&Ws likely have (and my Altec likely has).  When I tried the earlier Yes Band song on the Omegas, the irritation you spoke of was less (taking the poor recording quality into account).

I realize you're hearing this from an Omega rep, but nothing I've heard touches Omega on the desktop.  With solid state or tube.

One more thing.  If you can, try a different amp and/or DAC.  It can make a difference too.

Bottom line, I think your problem is a combination of 3 things.  The setup in general, possible bass bloat from the B&Ws, and the recording quality of the songs in question.  If your amp has a lower damping factor than is usual for solid state, that could be a factor too, but I highly doubt it.  Musical Fidelity has been designing and building amps for a long time and should know what they are doing.

I suggest you try a set of Omegas on a 30 day return.  Little to lose in that. 

RDavidson

30 day trial is the perfect suggestion CR. :thumb:

Flinx99

I notice bloated mid bass in that song which I find very annoying.  It wasn't on an Omega based system I tried it on, but my little Altec ATP3 2.1.  In your latest picture your system looks better set up than in the previous image.  I would keep the lamps from heating up the speakers - from here it looks like they could.  Speakers don't like that kind of heat.

I personally like JLMs suggestion of one big monitor vs multiples, and with that big monitor set back against the wall.  I keep my 23" Dell close to the back wall so the speakers aren't compromised by it.

One thing you will notice with the Super 3i and Super 3 Desktop is the linearity of the frequency response, hence no mid bass hump like your B&Ws likely have (and my Altec likely has).  When I tried the earlier Yes Band song on the Omegas, the irritation you spoke of was less (taking the poor recording quality into account).

I realize you're hearing this from an Omega rep, but nothing I've heard touches Omega on the desktop.  With solid state or tube.

One more thing.  If you can, try a different amp and/or DAC.  It can make a difference too.

Bottom line, I think your problem is a combination of 3 things.  The setup in general, possible bass bloat from the B&Ws, and the recording quality of the songs in question.  If your amp has a lower damping factor than is usual for solid state, that could be a factor too, but I highly doubt it.  Musical Fidelity has been designing and building amps for a long time and should know what they are doing.

I suggest you try a set of Omegas on a 30 day return.  Little to lose in that.

Thanks----I just hate the idea of ordering a set of speakers that Louis has to build with the thought that I might return them if I'm not happy with a fix that I "hope" is resolved by his speakers.  I have tried other AMPS and DACs and other speakers.  Same results.  I can't blame it on the recording, either, because it sounds pretty good through decent headphones. 

Do you have the desktop on your website still setup like that?  Do you have Tidal?  I actually think Tidal might be great for an audio dealer----you can get good sound from it and it would allow all customers to hear pretty much whatever they want rather then whatever they're offered.  Anyway, I mention Tidal and your setup because if you have time, it would be great to get your impression of The Ledge, by The Replacments, playing through Omegas on the desktop.  This song has that same bloat all through it, but only in nearfield.  Hopefully Louis will give you a kickback from my purchase.  :  ).  Too bad I'm having a nearfield issue that I'm trying to resolve with his entry level speakers.

Editing this because I forgot to mention that I'm using LED bulbs in my lamps.  Speakers aren't the only things that don't like heat.  I'm in Houston and I've found that even lightbulbs can contribute to the overall heat in a room.  I can unscrew the LED bulbs while they are on, if I'd like.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2015, 07:34 pm by Flinx99 »

Flinx99

I just wanted to say thank you.  After experimentation based upon recommendations from this thread, I realize that I am dealing mostly with reflections.  Walls, desk, and monitors.  I'm buying headphones.  Kidding.  I am now leaning towards the Omega Desktops, though.  I can at least avoid the rear bass port, which will hopefully help with reflections from the back wall.  I don't have a clue about the desk, but I will figure it out.

Jim