What Album Was Most Responsible For Turning You On to Jazz?

PSB Guy

Re: What Album Was Most Responsible For Turning You On to Jazz?
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2012, 07:15 pm »

Many a weekend from the '80s to the '00s were spent browsing Sam The Record Man in downtown Toronto, sadly gone since 2007. 'Twas Napster that killed it. This was one in regular rotation upstairs in the Jazz/Blues section. I came looking for Blues, came away with an undying love for Jazz.

Cornelis

Sonny

rbbert

« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2012, 09:42 pm »
"Swiss Movement" Les McCann and Eddie Harris.

JakeJ

« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2012, 01:48 am »
@ mjosef (and all others interested)

Good stuff, if you don't already have it.

johnst

« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2012, 02:39 am »
Chuck Mangione "Feels so Good"

mjosef

« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2012, 02:40 am »
Insert Quote
@ mjosef (and all others interested)

Good stuff, if you don't already have it.

Yeap...got that...even saw them on tour (90's?) at the Beacon, wicked.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #46 on: 25 May 2012, 03:00 am »
TAKE FIVE opened my eyes too. :)

JakeJ

« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2012, 05:05 am »
Yeap...got that...even saw them on tour (90's?) at the Beacon, wicked.

Heh, I shoulda knowed bettah.  Listening to it now as I assemble my new PC.  AMD Phenom II Quad Core based w/ Crucial M4 SSD & EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics sporting 8 gigs of G Skill Ripjaws 1600 MHz ram plus some other goodies.

Whoops!  Sorry for going OT but I'm jazzed 'cuz my current rig is pushin' ten years old.  :o

jimdgoulding

« Reply #48 on: 25 May 2012, 05:37 am »
My first roommate in the USAF.  LC Banks was his name, a black cat from Cleveland who had a wisdom way beyond my years.  He sat me down in his room, before we became roommates, and told me to listen to a particular album until he returned.  He uncorked a bottle of wine and put on Kind of Blue.  He took the time cause I had knowledge of some West Coast jazz musicians which he knew of, of course, and their recordings and I was inquisitive.  Shortly after that I got my own record player and began buying my own records.  That man is to this day one of the coolest most collected individuals I have ever known.  LC, not Miles, and he opened my eyes up big time . .     

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2012, 06:50 am »
great story Jim!

For me it was the documentary by Ken Burns, not an album. Of all the jazz albums I've bought so far, I have yet to dislike any of them.

JayM

« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2012, 07:46 am »
Parents never knew any jazz, maybe sinatra and classical. Never heard any jazz really until I sought it out.

But in terms of having the seed planted in me for Jazz, it might well have been Lennie Bernstein's "West Side Story"

I loved the music as a 13 year old, and had not listened again until this year, 35 years later. And now I am thinking there's more than a hint of jazz in the dissonance, the rhythm, the pace of that music, that the seed for my liking jazz was probably planted way back then.

Costco has the Blu-Ray at 12.99 recently, and I bought it. Listening to it, I don't feel that the music, the choreography, the cast, and the whole pageant of West Side Story will ever be surpassed. And it probably set me off in a journey towards jazz without my even knowing it until 35 years later.

jdoris

« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2012, 01:55 pm »
Miles, Cookin', which I irrationally prefer to KoB.  Devout Red Garland fan.  What an outfit that was.

John

Airborn

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2012, 11:09 pm »
This was the one for me....Coltrane...although Kind of Blue and Time Out were right up there too around the same time.

jimdgoulding

This was the one for me....Coltrane...although Kind of Blue and Time Out were right up there too around the same time.

The opening track on this is essential Coltrane to me and not just of this period.  This period, his days recording for Impulse, also yielded Spiritual from Live at The Village Vanguard and the album Live at Birdland.  Throw in My Favorite Things and Ole from Atlantic and Africa Brass, also from Impulse, for its turgid and impassioned arrangments (too dark for many fans) and you have him (to me).  I made it a priority to see his quartet every time he played The Jazz Workshop in San Francisco between 1961 and 1965.  I was a teenager with a fake ID.

Tracks two and three from A Love Supreme also for McCoy Tyner's playing.  Wow.

jjc1

It was actually a live performance of the Dave Brubeck Quartet at Georgetown University way back in 1960. All the performers from the Time Out album were there and then late night listening to Symphony Sid on the radio (AM in those days) back in Brooklyn,N.Y. The album that I remember most was Ahmad Jamal At The Pershing.

chrisby

QJ -  1969 - the summer I graduated from high school, and was also listening to LZ1 on 8-track player in my mom's '64 Valiant with the powerhouse 170HP slant 6 and slush-o-matic 3speed - talk about a chick magnet  :P

as Patricia would say " If this isn't Jazz, it'll have to do until the real thing comes along"

dB Cooper

It was actually a live performance of the Dave Brubeck Quartet at Georgetown University way back in 1960. All the performers from the Time Out album were there and then late night listening to Symphony Sid on the radio (AM in those days) back in Brooklyn,N.Y. The album that I remember most was Ahmad Jamal At The Pershing.
My story is much like yours. I can't remember specifically the album but believe it may have been Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano (Claude Bolling with Jean-Pierre Rampal). I DO remember my first jazz concert though-  like you, it was Brubeck, only in my case it was Two Generations of Brubeck at Kennedy center in WDC. Luckily for me Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan both were there too. Think I'll start a thread on First Jazz Concert now that I think of it!

lazydays

it was not so much of an LP, and it was the music I heard. I was in the Army on one of those forced marches. We took a break from the heat, and there was this music going on that was above outstanding! They said it was by a guy named Miles Davis, and I knew from then and there that I had to hear more of it! From there I started reading LP jackets to see who else was in the group, and started branching out from there. That year would be 1967, and the month would have been August. Have never looked back from that very day
gary

Ralf Hutter

Late 1960's, I was around 10 and already heavily into rock (Who, Stones, Hendrix, etc) and heard my dad playing Kind of Blue, and some MJQ album that I don't explicitly remember. WOW! KoB really flipped my switch and I was hooked from then on.

Chicago

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2012, 11:37 pm »
My parents had a large jazz and blues collection of 78's they used to play but I can't say I really liked it back in the 50's.  My sister had West Side Story and pretty much wore it out but I really liked the album.  Then Take Five came out and I gradually started listening to jazz but more of The Weather Report than Brubeck, Davis or Coltrane.  They all came later as my musical taste became more refined and over time I found myself listening to my parents favorites from the 40's and 50's.