PC to ancient NAD integrated

WGH

Re: PC to ancient NAD integrated
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2018, 01:38 am »
The problem, sir, is that you are using an obsolete computer which is nine years old and it is not designed to work with Windows 10. 

You may be able to roll back the update, a quick google search will tell you how, if not then it's...

Back to Windows 7. You can still buy disks and .iso images and download Windows 7 drivers from the Dell site. After a week of updates you will have a new computer.
Ideally there is a hidden partition for a factory reset which costs nothing and includes the drivers but there are always the updates to deal with.

Never 10 from Steve Gibson's website will prevent Win 7 upgrading to Win 10.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2018, 09:49 am »
Is the computer a dedicated audio machine or multipurpose? If dedicated, forget all the Windows bullsh** and install Audiophile Linux, a low-overhead Linux distribution written with audio functionality in mind.

https://www.ap-linux.com/

Doublej

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:34 pm »
Is the computer a dedicated audio machine or multipurpose? If dedicated, forget all the Windows bullsh** and install Audiophile Linux, a low-overhead Linux distribution written with audio functionality in mind.

https://www.ap-linux.com/

Does Audiophile Linux support the ability create a Live USB stick so one can try it first without installing it on their machine?

On a related note....downloading....3.4kB/sec days left...
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2018, 02:12 pm by Doublej »

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2018, 02:46 pm »
Most distributions do but I haven't tried.

Looks like you are having some download issues; some can be found as torrents which can be faster...

WOW that's bad.  Found a year-old forum with a similar complaint. Nobody's gonna want to put up with that no matter how good the distribution is.

As one forum I checked said, you could probably accomplish the same with other distributions. There are 'small footprint' variations of Ubuntu for sure. They at least have a viable downloading process and 'live stick' options. The 'Computer Audiophile' forum site may have more support. Playing audio just isn't that difficult as modern computing goes (a Pi can do it ferfuxake); I think mainly you need to get out from under the Windows OS bloat with the old computer, and the right Linux is probably a good way to do that.

Update: Checked their website and apparently you can do a (presumably faster) paid download for 3.99 EUR ($4.61). I might still try one of the low-overhead Ubuntu variations though such as Lubuntu linux.

Speaking of a Pi, if you already have the USB DAC, you can get a Pi setup running for <$100. Computer Audiophile would be a good resource on that too.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2018, 09:45 pm »
This is a multi-purpose laptop.
I've tried all sorts of stuff, still got a frog croaking away in there.

It may be back to Windows 7 for this one.