$6,000.00 SqueezeBox!

Wayne1

$6,000.00 SqueezeBox!
« on: 10 Oct 2008, 02:07 pm »
The ReBox project is completed and up and running.

The front panel on it is made of Lacewood

The project has changed a bit since I took this photo. I put aside the idea of re-clocking.

I added a second power supply just to run the network and display.

The Ultimate MKV is running direct to the Hynes regulator. The five volt runs just the analog of the DAC chip

The 3.3 volts off of the Hynes regulator rune the digital section of the DAC chip and the clock.

This removes ALL of the nasties from the internal switchers and the display from the analog output and digital section.

I added a step up transformer to increase the final voltage output. It now can produce up to 4 volts output.

It can actually drive the Horn Shoppe Horns direct! The tube stage (designed by Jim Hagerman) can produce close to 2 watts. No shortage of drive current.

I have two other faceplates at RMAF. Ask me and I will be happy to show them to you. They are made of Padauk and stained Spalted Maple.

Please come by room 1004 to take a listen.

If enough people are interested in obtaining one of these, a decent discount can be applied, with pre-payment.

I'll try to post some more pictures from the show.

Brown

Re: $6,000.00 SqueezeBox!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2008, 03:03 pm »
Good luck. Great idea and execution but $6000. For goodness sake does it ever stop.
    charge a FAIR price and maybe they would sell like hotcakes
Good luck.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2008, 03:49 pm »
Not sure how Brown is coming up with his assessment that this is not a fair price?

I spent a lot more than MSRP on the SB3 I have had modded, and am very pleased with the sound.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2008, 04:25 pm »
6k is a hefty sum but it's a fair price if the product compares favorably with other front ends in the price range.  And Wayne has excellent customer service, which adds value.  I am definitely going to check it out. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2008, 04:41 pm »
Hey, since there is no middle class anymore, why bother making goods for them? It seems like either budget (stock SB) or super high end is the way to go these days....

Anyway, judge based on its merits...  $6k isn't too much if the level of performance is there I guess.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2008, 04:58 pm »
I think you need to look at this as a whole new product that uses a SB as part of it.  I actually think that calling it a SB rebox will not help.  Call it the Bolder server or somehting (untilzing a SB's wonderful interface).

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2008, 07:14 pm »
I think you need to look at this as a whole new product that uses a SB as part of it.  I actually think that calling it a SB rebox will not help.  Call it the Bolder server or somehting (untilzing a SB's wonderful interface).

I agree. And $6K is just fine, I know how much money you put into it, and it is a very fair price. Besides, this 'Bolder Server' can hook up direct to a pair of efficient speakers and you are done! There are a lot of speakers out there that are at least 95dB/1w/1m sensitive so there are choices there. That output tube is a 6H30 which is a great tube with wonderful sonics when optimized as you have done.

Good luck and great work  :thumb:

Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2008, 07:31 pm »

I think this is excellent advice.

Anything with "SqueezeBox" in the name is going to draw major criticisms with such a high price tag.

By not having "SqueezeBox" in the name, people will look at it for its features and functionality, rather than think of it as a ridiculously expensive SB.

George

kbuzz3

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2008, 08:07 pm »
Id venture a guess to say that wayne developed this as a "Statement" piece. So the price tag parallels the level of r n d and labor for such an item.

I think its cool as all heck.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2008, 08:28 pm »

By not having "SqueezeBox" in the name, people will look at it for its features and functionality, rather than think of it as a ridiculously expensive SB.

George

I agree. How about re-naming it the "Bolder 6000".

IronLion

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2008, 08:36 pm »
Does it have a built-in volume control?  With that 4v output maybe you wouldn't even need an active pre if it did, assuming one likes the sound as-is.

cruz123

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2008, 09:45 pm »
Isn't this effectively a $5700 power supply for a $300 digital device?    And it doesn't re-clock?   :scratch:   Should sell well in this economy.

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2008, 11:13 pm »
Isn't this effectively a $5700 power supply for a $300 digital device?    And it doesn't re-clock?   :scratch:   Should sell well in this economy.

Huh?  I guess you didn't read the description.  This is much more than a "power supply". :roll:

SatoriGFX

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm »

Have to agree with you.  I'm looking at the inside of that box and wondering where the $6k price tag comes from.  It might sound great but I don't see $6k worth of components and the casework isn't exactly what I would call robust either.

cruz123

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:27 am »

Huh?  I guess you didn't read the description.  This is much more than a "power supply". :roll:

That's why I phrased my response as a question.  I'm trying to understand how this is more than a power supply.     What do the mods include other than the described power supply additions/modifications?   Are the dacs the stock SB3 dacs, or have dacs been added/replaced in the design?   Are there any modifications to the digital stream, i.e. jitter reduction?    I assumed not since the description indicates the re-clock was shelved.   

john1970

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:50 am »
Seems expensive in my opinion as well.  I would expect the sound to be commensurate with the price.  If you are only looking for an upgraded power supply there are less expensive options from Bolder, CIA, etc. 

Also, I've heard Wayne's stuff in the past and it was very good so I am not meaning to insult Wayne by posting.  He makes very good (probably some of the best) modifications.  My VMPS RM40s have his Bolder silver wire inside. 

John
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2008, 12:02 pm by john1970 »

SatoriGFX

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:03 am »
Seems expensive in my opinion as well.  I would expect the sound to be commensurate with the price.  If you are only looking for an upgraded power supply there are less expensive options from Bolder, CIA, etc.

John

Admitedly this is more than just a power supply, though not much more.  I just don't see how this adds up to $6k especially considering that it is sold direct, eliminating 2 middle men (distributor and retailer).

Just to put things into perspective, $6k would buy the following equipment that is sitting on my rack:

Simaudio I-5
Lavry DA10
CIAudio VDA-2 w/VAC-1
CEC TL-51X

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:12 am »
you guys realize that you are being very rude, essentially crapping in wayne's forum. 

fwiw, it has a tube analog output stage, so it isn't very much at all like the stock sb3, just uses the front end of the sb3. 

we'll care what you think when you can design your own tube output stage.

SatoriGFX

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2008, 04:35 am »
you guys realize that you are being very rude, essentially crapping in wayne's forum. 

fwiw, it has a tube analog output stage, so it isn't very much at all like the stock sb3, just uses the front end of the sb3. 

we'll care what you think when you can design your own tube output stage.

When you advertise a box that contains a Squeezebox an upgraded PSU and a tube output stage for $6k you should expect some flack.  If he doesn't want feedback, both good and bad, he should not post information about the product.

I can't design a tube output stage.  So what?  I can't knit a sweater either but I know a quality one from a junk one and I know when someone is overcharging for one.  I find $6k, for the product in question, offensive.  And I don't usually think or react that way about high end audio equipment.  I'm rather immune to the crazy prices.

BTW.  This particular forum is open to all members.  I believe it's "our forum".

randytsuch

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2008, 05:47 am »
I agree with Josh, you guys are being rude.

This is a public forum, but this is Bolder's circle.

And, since you guys have not heard it, how can you decide if it's worth the money or not?

And, it's more then just an upgraded PS.  He is supplying modding the SB board it to supply different 3.3 and 5V to the DAC

And, a project like this takes a lot of time.  Or should Wayne donate his time?

My 2 cents.

Randy