TDL Electronics Tweeters Replacement

gl

TDL Electronics Tweeters Replacement
« on: 29 Mar 2024, 04:26 am »
Hi Everyone

I have a great sounding pair of 33 year old TDL Electronics Studio 3 Transmission Line Speakers that are currently limping along due to damaged tweeters.

Some initial research has shown that TDL is no longer in existence and I was wondering what tweeter would be a suitable replacement?

Photos attached of the original and a damaged tweeter from the Studio Monitor that I am using temporarily in my Studio 3's.

I would also like to repair the Studio Monitors that I inherited, but here the damage is more substantive: Woofers also measuring open circuit, and tweeters damaged. Super Tweeters and midrange appear fine.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gerrit

TDL Studio 3 Tweeter Front

TDL Studio 3 Tweeter Back

TDL Studio 3 Diagram

TDL Studio Monitor Damaged Tweeter

TDL Studio Monitor Diagram

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: TDL Electronics Tweeters Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2024, 04:41 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
This is really sorry as the TDL has a great bass.
My suggestion is if the tweeter VC Form and dome are OK you could rewind the VC wire, with the same copper wire gauge, but its not easy the TDL tweeters are all 25mm magnesium alloy suspended ferro fluid with rear chamber. The Studio 3 worth try remade, I have an PDF I could email to you.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2024, 02:08 pm »
Welcome!  You can try contacting Madisound - https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-replacement

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2024, 07:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Gerrit   :thumb:  Good luck with the repairs.