Trek versus Specialized

wavesailer

Trek versus Specialized
« on: 18 May 2013, 03:24 pm »
The bikes are really close. The Specialized has hydraulic disc brakes which are better and more powerful. The Trek has a 100mm travel fork versus 80mm for the Specialized. The rest of the features are comparable.
Van

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Trek versus Specialized
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2013, 07:13 pm »
I was unimpressed by traditional hardtail Trek, Spec and GT, mainly the frame, the best frame I ride so far was one like this Klein.
I would like try a Merlin though.

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2013, 07:33 pm »
buy the one that fits best.  the frames may even be made in the same factory in Taiwan.

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2013, 07:34 pm »
I'm with ya wavesailer,

Funny, cause I'm looking at a new Wahoo, Marlin, Hardrock, or older Rockhopper for my first bike in years and all
I can find online is how bad the parts are on all of these bikes. It's getting frustrating and very discouraging.
I got my eye on this thread.  :o

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2013, 07:55 pm »
I like assemble a bike buying the best parts. This one use a 125cc motorbike front suspension to long road trips.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2013, 10:56 pm »
I was unimpressed by traditional hardtail Trek, Spec and GT, mainly the frame, the best frame I ride so far was one like this Klein.
I would like try a Merlin though.

Holy crap!  The Merlin frame only is $3,500!!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 01:01 pm »
Titanium is expensive and even more difficult to weld than aluminium.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2013, 05:16 am »
Trek what vs. Specialized what?

They both make low end and high end bikes. I'd be most concerned with how I liked the frame geometry.

Technically speaking disc breaks are not, and can not be physically stronger. But there are a lot of reasons to prefer them. (especially over super cheap V brakes)

Here is a picture of hydraulic v brakes. Probably the strongest break design for bicycle ever made. They however still feel like V brakes so people still probably given the choice would prefer disc.