Room Gain Complementary (RGC) tuning

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Room Gain Complementary (RGC) tuning
« on: 18 Nov 2008, 08:43 pm »
In some of my speakers, I'm using a vented-box bass tuning approach that I think might be deserving of its own name and acronym.  Sort of like EBS (extended bass shelf) tuning, which is where the bass rolls off gently at first starting fairly high up, then levels off (shelves) above the tuning frequency, and then of course plummets below the tuning frequency. 

Let me say up front that I'm not actually doing something new (though it is a bit off the beaten path) - what's new is the descriptive name and accompanying acronym. 

The concept behind Room Gain Complementary tuning is this:  To have the speaker's natural rolloff rate be approximately the inverse of the anticipated boost from room gain.  If we assume typical room gain to be 3 dB per ocatve below 100 Hz, then we'd want the woofer to be rolling off at 3 dB per octave below about 100Hz or so.  RGC tuning isn't appropriate for every application - for example, I wouldn't use it for a stand-mounted monitor that's going to be placed well out into the room.   

I think one of the main reasons many subwoofer systems sound slow and disconnected from the rest of the presentation is the result of room gain overboosting their output.  If you have a sub that's flat to 25 Hz anechoic, after room gain it will be roughly +6 dB at 25 Hz, and that's too much for natural-sounding bass reproduction.  In fact, the myth that smaller subs are "faster" may well arise from their typically rolling off higher up, so that they suffer less from undesirable deep bass overboost due to room gain.

In Earl Geddes' brief study of multisub systems published on his website, we can readily see the effects of room gain.  This study probably assumes a more effectively-sealed room than most of us have, so the room gain here is probably more than we can normally expect, but I think it's wortwhile to see how it plays out in the modelled response:

http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/sub%20study%20.pdf [edit: this link appears to be dead now; I think Earl has removed the paper from his website.]

Let me give an example of a commercial speaker with RGC tuning:  The Guru Pro Audio QM10 loudspeaker.  This is the cute little up-against-the-wall Swedish mini-monitor that supposedly goes down to 30 Hz.  When used correctly (including correct stand height), I believe the claim.   Here's a link where you can see the anechoic frequency response that results from its RCG-style tuning:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/guru_proaudio_qm10/

The Aerial Acoustics model 10T looks to me like it has an RGC bass characteristic from 60 Hz down to 20 Hz:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/466/index4.html

By way of contrast, here's the anechoic response of a speaker that does not use RGC tuning.  This speaker's bass characteristic would be the better choice for a stand-mount placed well out into the room:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/monitor_audio_pl100/

RGC tuning is used in vented versions of the Swarm multisub system, and my other current speakers can be RGC-tuned with suitably long ports.  In fact, AudioCircle member Berndt has his Jazz Modules RGC-tuned.  In practice, RGC tuning is sort of like EBS tuning only with a bit smaller box so that there is no shelf at the very bottom end.  Too much ultradeep bass energy can result in a subjectively heavy and slow bass response, which I seek to avoid.

I would guess that the amazing bass performance of Ed Schilling's The Horn is largely due to the room-gain-complementary bass rolloff of his corner-loaded backhorns.   Because corner loading provides more gain than up-against-the-wall placement, his anechoic target response is probably steeper than 3 dB per octave rolloff.

Wayne Parham's PiSpeakers are also tuned taking room gain into account, so there's another specialty manufacturer using it.  In particular his corner-loaded 7 Pi has outstanding bass extension and tonal balance (it combines RGC-style tuning with exceptional radiation pattern control and an excellent crossover).

Audio Note designs its speakers for corner placement, and presumably tunes them with their version of RGC tuning.  At any rate, there's another design whose bass performance is way beyond what you'd expect from a speaker that size, provided they are used as recommended.

I suspect that the oft-cited preference for low-Q sealed boxes over typical vented boxes arises in part from the low-Q sealed box's rolloff rate (approximately 6 dB per octave) being a reasonable first approximation of the inverse of room gain.  If the room were removed and we were listening outdoors (with no room gain), a flat-tuned vented box would almost certainly be preferred over the low-Q sealed box.  I think that, with an appropriately designed and tuned vented box, it's possible to improve on the room-friendliness of even a low-Q sealed box in a cost-effective manner.

Obviously the concept I'm using is nothing new, but perhaps by giving it a name and an acronym awareness will increase and it will be taken advantage of by more DIYers (and maybe more manufacturers). 

Duke
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2011, 11:38 pm by Duke »

JohnR

Re: Room Gain Complementary (RGC) tuning
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2008, 10:19 am »
Adire Audio used to have a whitepaper on their site about this.

I had thought though that with a ported box, a smaller box was used rather than larger as with EBS. This seems (in my sims) to provide the gradual rolloff and no shelf.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2008, 08:29 pm »
Hi John,

Sorry if my post was unclear, but you are correct - RGC tuning calls for a smaller box than EBS tuning.  It still ends up being considerably larger than a Butterworth, for example, to get that approximately 3 dB per octave rolloff across much of the bass region.  Works with some woofers, but not with others.

Here is that Adire Audio paper - the room gain graph is on page 5:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040813072422/www.adireaudio.com/Files/VentedShivaApplications.PDF

I read somewhere that the following room gain plot was produced by Martin Colloms, but haven't been able to verify that:

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1020/rge.gif

Duke

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2008, 10:36 pm »
I do.... I also break room gain up into boundary gain and pressure vessel gain.    The two both support bass output but do so in different ways and under different circumstances.     You might also want to consider Fletcher-Munson effects.    Like it or not, you have to adjust for what is an average listening level.    I'd probably balance the bass differently for a loudspeaker designed to be used 100% of the time at very low listening levels vs. one that was a blaster.   

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:44 am »
From my audition of the SWARM I am convinced it exceeds or at least equals any other bass reproduction I've heard in normal domestic environments.  It's tops in value, affordable, relatively easy to setup up, takes up only moderate space & its footprint is only about 4sf.  Everything to like, nothing to dislike.  I'd not be not at all surprised if at some point in the future the SWARM's general architecture became a defacto world reference or standard for state-of-the-art bass reproduction in domestic environments. 

The only systems that might not benefit might be those w/ stereo sub towers w/ multiple drivers going almost to the ceiling.  Other systems already having a deep bass cutoff would benefit as long as some method was found to high-pass cross the main speakers (if a tube amp powers the mains, decreasing the input coupling cap value may add a HPXO effect).  Owners of bass-deficient speakers such as mini-monitors may find the SWARM pure audio bliss.       

The final benefit of being apparently able to minimize bass modes w/ no other acoustic help (especially for instance absorption which overly damps & "dries" the sound, & EQ which works far less well than advertised) puts the SWARM over the top. 

I've carefully auditioned the overall performance of great speakers in the $100k range & some well over that in inflation-adjusted dollars.  It's strange, weird & ironic to see the glossy pictures in audio rags of such speakers (they do look nice) & realize the apparent depth of the inferiority & dearth of originality regarding the methods chosen by other designers to reproduce signals below 100 Hz.  After hearing the SWARM, one or two woofers per channel in or near the main speakers just doesn't thrill me anymore, regardless of cost, looks & the hype associated w/ the product.     

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:26 pm »
Duke,
-Apologies if it is bad form to ask this, since it would be discussing non audiokinesis products, currently offered. I will retract it, if you want

Would you mind to elaborate on how the rate of a bandpass subs rolloff would fit into this idea of complementary room gain tuning, in a multisub approach?  For example this JBL sb-2 bandpass model, which is a sharp peak at 80hz, perhaps?
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/control/ctrlsb-2.pdf

I am attracted to the output sensitivity, and the acoustic limit on the upper range, in this design.

-Tony

Quiet Earth

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:15 pm »
I absolutely love my Audio Note AN-E speakers. Not only do they provide the best overall sound I have ever had in my home, but also the most satisfying bass performance as you have already explained.

...... perhaps by giving it a name and an acronym awareness will increase and it will be taken advantage of by more DIYers (and maybe more manufacturers). 

I sure hope it does Duke. Maybe the hifi industry can get back on track to building quality music systems for the home living room. I wish more companies like you will take this intelligent approach to speaker building, and maybe even another step into system building. Spread the love brother!

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2011, 10:46 pm »
Duke,
-Apologies if it is bad form to ask this, since it would be discussing non audiokinesis products, currently offered. I will retract it, if you want

Would you mind to elaborate on how the rate of a bandpass subs rolloff would fit into this idea of complementary room gain tuning, in a multisub approach?  For example this JBL sb-2 bandpass model, which is a sharp peak at 80hz, perhaps?
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/control/ctrlsb-2.pdf

I am attracted to the output sensitivity, and the acoustic limit on the upper range, in this design.

-Tony

It's possible to tune a bandpass sub so that its response slopes gently downward across its limited passband, but I couldn't begin to say whether the JBL is tuned that way.   Probably not, from your description of a "sharp peak at 80 Hz".  On either side of the passband the rolloff is usually very steep.