NX-Center

BrandonB

Re: NX-Center
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2023, 10:57 pm »
Doesn’t most the sound come from the center channel in a movie?  So you want a really good center speaker.

kenreau

« Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2023, 05:00 pm »
I'm building a new house with a dedicated HT room.  I intend to use an acoustically transparent screen and install 3 identical LCR speakers behind it.  Would this new speaker potentially work in this application if mounted vertically, rather than horizontally? 

Also, could it be mounted flush in the wall?

Thx
Kenreau

Basically just an NX-Otica sized NX-Treme.

Danny gave me permission to share a picture of this beast.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2023, 05:43 pm »
I'm building a new house with a dedicated HT room.  I intend to use an acoustically transparent screen and install 3 identical LCR speakers behind it.  Would this new speaker potentially work in this application if mounted vertically, rather than horizontally? 

Also, could it be mounted flush in the wall?

Thx
Kenreau

It's fully open baffle, it needs to be 3+feet away from any walls.

Flush mounting would require a different crossover to be designed.

kenreau

« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2023, 06:00 pm »
It's fully open baffle, it needs to be 3+feet away from any walls.

Flush mounting would require a different crossover to be designed.

Bummer, but that makes sense now.  I'll still follow along this thread in case I want to go that direction.

Thanks
Kenreay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2023, 06:01 pm »
Tweeter orientation would be wrong too, wouldn't it Hobbs?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:52 pm »
Tweeter orientation would be wrong too, wouldn't it Hobbs?

Correct.
You will lose some off-axis output turning them vertical.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #46 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:58 pm »
Correct.
You will lose some off-axis output turning them vertical.

Hobbs, please hide Danny's running shoes and have him knock out that triple sub Otica over the weekend.  Thaaanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 20 Oct 2023, 10:29 pm »
Hobbs, please hide Danny's running shoes and have him knock out that triple sub Otica over the weekend.  Thaaanks.

We don't have a CNC machine to be able to do that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2023, 09:06 pm »

A torn muscle in my neck has my hanging up the running shoes for a while...  :cry:

jmimac351

« Reply #49 on: 23 Oct 2023, 10:38 pm »
A torn muscle in my neck has my hanging up the running shoes for a while...  :cry:

Really sorry to hear that, Danny. 

VinceT

« Reply #50 on: 23 Oct 2023, 11:02 pm »
Any plans for a NX-MTM Studio? You can CNC a center insert that can be glued in to rotate the tweeter for a NX-Voce center channel and use the exact same flat pack kit. Like you guys need projects ..lol

jmimac351

« Reply #51 on: 23 Oct 2023, 11:06 pm »
Danny, I have identified the source of pain in your neck.  :thumb:

jmimac351

« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2023, 11:10 pm »
Any plans for a NX-MTM Studio? You can CNC a center insert that can be glued in to rotate the tweeter for a NX-Voce center channel and use the exact same flat pack kit. Like you guys need projects ..lol

Vince, I'm with you on that "NX-MTM Studio" thing.  Go here and scroll down to reply #67.  See reply at #70.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186910.60

As for me... I have not pulled a big trigger yet as I am trying to consume as much info as possible and keep my powder dry. I am very eager to see the Otica with triple 8" servo subs.  Even if it doesn't play low enough to not "need" subs, the low end will be tunable to give a bit more horsepower / punch for mid-bass, and help with a room / placement to taste preference.  The current Otica / NX-Treme do not allow for that.  However, I am hoping they DO play to ~30Hz, because I am learning that 30Hz is really good, for me. I listen to a lot of AM radio salsa, so it's all good.  And then I can just blend in a little very low end, if needed, from my Tonka Truck SVS SB-16 Ultra Turbo Eddie Bauer Limited subs. Worst case is I can dial in more mid-bass slam, if needed.

That's my current hustle, at least. Could be I'm completely wrong about how the triple 8 will work in practice.

VinceT

« Reply #53 on: 23 Oct 2023, 11:19 pm »
Vince, I'm with you on that "NX-MTM Studio" thing.  Go here and scroll down to reply #67.  See reply at #70.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186910.60

Nice

You could redesign the shape of the enclosure like a arch or horse show and also enclose it along the back to get more box volume and still retain the open baffle ramp of the NX Studio depending on the math and calculation for box volume. Def more favorable WAF factor. I already have the LS9's in the living room, no way I could get away with a NX-Otica laying across the front of the fireplace...LOL

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #54 on: 24 Oct 2023, 01:24 am »
Nice

You could redesign the shape of the enclosure like a arch or horse show and also enclose it along the back to get more box volume and still retain the open baffle ramp of the NX Studio depending on the math and calculation for box volume. Def more favorable WAF factor. I already have the LS9's in the living room, no way I could get away with a NX-Otica laying across the front of the fireplace...LOL

Sometimes it's better to beg for forgivenesss than ask for permission.  Do it!!!  :thumb:

VinceT

« Reply #55 on: 24 Oct 2023, 01:58 am »
Sometimes it's better to beg for forgivenesss than ask for permission.  Do it!!!  :thumb:

:lol:

Tyson

« Reply #56 on: 24 Oct 2023, 02:14 am »
:lol:

It just occurred to me that this type of thinking might be why I'm divorced  :rotflmao:

BrandonB

« Reply #57 on: 24 Oct 2023, 03:11 am »
It just occurred to me that this type of thinking might be why I'm divorced  :rotflmao:

Tyson are you ready to place your order for the center channel?

Tyson

« Reply #58 on: 24 Oct 2023, 03:23 am »
Tyson are you ready to place your order for the center channel?

Hell, I should get 5 of them along with a few box subs and do a 7.3 setup!!!!

BrandonB

« Reply #59 on: 24 Oct 2023, 04:28 am »
Hell, I should get 5 of them along with a few box subs and do a 7.3 setup!!!!

Right!  With a three channel setup  it already has 21 driver without the subs.