Micromega Subwoofer

headphones1

Micromega Subwoofer
« on: 3 Apr 2019, 08:37 pm »
“Tempo 1 and Tempo 2 provide the ability to biwire your system by  providing two sets of speaker outposts….(NOTE.  Under NO circumstances should TEMPO should not be used to drive two separate set of loudspeakers).”

(The second sentence was ill worded like that; I typed as it was.)

I have the Tempo 1 and the speaker cables connected to the speakers (non-biwirable speakers.)  I was wanting to add a subwoofer.  The Tempo has no line-level outputs for a sub.  The only way it might work is to A.) to send the signal from the amplifier to the speaker level inputs on the sub.  Then send the signal from the sub to the speakers.  That way seems like its going to add a lot of distortion.  B.) the other approach is to use the second set of speaker outputs going to the speaker level inputs on the sub. I just want speaker sets A going to the the monitors and speaker set B going to the sub.  Is that last scenario (speaker set B.) safe;  will that set-up damage the amplifier?

Thanks

richidoo

Re: Micromega Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm »

Best practice is to wire the amp direct to the main speakers, and the amp direct to the sub's speaker-level input.

This way you avoid adding the the sub's binding post connections to the main speaker's signal path, and you also reduce the speaker cable length from amp to the main speakers. Fewer temporary connections and shorter cable length both reduce the electrical resistance, which increases the amplifier's electrical damping (cone control) of the main speakers, and thus improves tonal detail and bass impact.

The sub amp is a high impedance load wired in parallel with the speaker level inputs via resistor network to step the signal voltage down from speaker level to line level, so the sub load will have a minute effect on current draw from the amp, so it's safe to run them in parallel on your amp.