to those considering using the sw-12 in-car

joegibs

« on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:51 am »
I advise against it.  plain and simple.

Now for a little explination.  I'm a car audio guy at heart, but I cross some of that over into audio for my bedroom at the college house.  I've done numerous setups in my vehicle, and i've had very good results with many different products.  I installed a couple dayton titanic's a while back when I was messing with the idea of using HT products in-car.  I had great results with it.  When I sold that setup, and wanted to do something new, I wanted to do another HT speaker since I had great results last time.  So I came across the sw-12.

to say the least, these drivers just arent meant for in car in my opinion.  I have good signal coming from my HU, nice cables, sound deadening (entirely too much of it), properly designed boxes, and running the drivers at RMS.  I did a direct swap into my bedroom, hooked them (two sw-12's) up to my 225x2@8 ohms amplifier, same enclosure, and it sounds EXTREMELY better.  I really dont know how to explain it.  

Unless someone else has done the same as me, I have to advise against using this driver in-car, and highly recommend it for a HT or home audio setup.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:14 am »
Did you use a Box Builder program or something similar?
The recomended inclosure and tuning will be different for car vs. house.

joegibs

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2006, 05:30 pm »
sealed enclosure.  I used the recommended enclosure size of 1.1cf suggested by danny

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2006, 01:07 am »
When loading a woofer into a car there can be variables to contend with that will make it work well or not so well. The cab of the car is part of the enclosure too.

I wonder what it was that made them not work out so well?

A pair of these woofers are plenty for even a large room. A pair of them in a car would hit pretty hard, harder than I'd like to hear my music. One of them in a car to me would be overkill, but car audio is often all about overkill.

Did it not hit the SPL you were looking for or was it a sound quality issue.

Keep in mind too these are 8 ohm woofers. Typical car audio woofers are 4 ohms or less and will allow the amp to deliver more current. Most car audio amps are all about current.