NX Studio monitor positioning when using OB Sub as stand?

PZ

In process of priming / sanding / finishing NX Studio Monitor cabinets along with OB Sub towers. Stacked the studio monitor on top of sub to see how it will look. 

What is best practice for positioning Studio Monitor cabinet when stacked on top of OB Subs?
 - Should the baffle of studio monitor align with front of OB Sub Cabinet?

Looking for recommendations to isolate studio monitor cabinet from OB Sub, and to isolate OB Sub tower from wood floor.
I've read some posts on Herbie's isolation dots / pucks and products like IsoAcoustics.
 - What is recommended for my application?   

CaptainBill

Re: NX Studio monitor positioning when using OB Sub as stand?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2021, 05:23 am »
The Linkwitz LX521.4 speakers using OB subs had an upside down “U” shaped speaker stand that did not touch the OB subs.  He seems to have known a thing or two about a thing or two and started designing his own open baffle speakers.

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/LX521_4.htm

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:54 pm »
I kind of like the primer color.  Sort of Navy ship grey.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2021, 05:42 pm »
I use Herbie's Fat Dots between the NX-Otica MTM OB monitors and the dual OB subs

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/herbies-fat-dot

PZ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2021, 06:39 pm »
Grey Primer'd look is OK, but Im going to try Krylon black stainless finish with matte clear coat. That's currently the second coat of primer. Zinsser Shellac base primer with black tint added. Rolled it on with smooth roller.

Regarding cabinet isolation
I like the idea of Linkwitz U shaped speaker stand, looks like it allows for complete cabinet separation.

Ill probably start with Herbie's for simplicity and mock up a U stand to play around with positioning. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2021, 09:17 pm »
Before wasting $$ on overpriced audiophool gizmos maybe try these super cheap vibration devices:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

also in cork:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPRC-200-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I use them underneath my subs, and between my shelf and the butcher block that my turntables sit on.  My buddy uses them between his DeVore O/93 speakers and his wooden floors.  He also uses them underneath his TT and other gear on his rack.  We both get great results.

So cheap that if they don't work for you, no biggie.    :dunno:

« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2021, 01:20 am by sunnydaze »

sfdoddsy

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2021, 06:29 am »
Best theoretical practice would be for the acoustic centers of the satellites to line up with that of the bass bins.

Looking at those photos, however, I'm not sure how that will be possible.

If you are using an active crossover or Rythmik plate amp for the subs you can adjust the phase to compensate.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2021, 02:37 pm »
I set the front of the monitor baffle flush with the front of the sub. That way I don’t introduce a floor bounce off the top of the subs. While the acoustical centers aren’t aligned, the phase control for the sub compensates.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:15 am »
All you really need is something that allows the weight of the NX Studio Monitor to couple it to the corners of the servo sub.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2021, 02:54 pm by Danny Richie »

Edgar77

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:28 am »
All you really need to something that allows the weight of the NX Studio Monitor to couple it to the corners of the servo sub.

Hello Danny, can you please repeat that in plain English?
At least I don't understand what you write.
Thanks

jn316

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:34 am »
change the "to" to "is."

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2022, 01:30 am »
Question answered :thumb:

« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2022, 12:17 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »