New preamp for Maggie 1.7 system?

HPower

New preamp for Maggie 1.7 system?
« on: 2 Mar 2011, 04:32 pm »
Hey guys,

I have been trying to decide on a new preamplifier for my new system and as a previous owner of a SWL 9.0SE sig. I am
considering another 9.0 in the used market or perhaps the new LS 100.

When owning the 9.0 I was very happy with it (after the painfully long break in was done), it was mated with a Bryston 14B and PMC OB1s.

Since the Bryston system I have been into Heritage Klipsch and lower wattage tube amps for the last 5 years but just recently sold all the horns off
and purchased a pair of Maggie 1.7s... yes I know, the exact polar opposite!

I was not sure I would like the Maggie sound but after getting them home and playing with positioning, I am Really liking their sound.
2 weeks ago I picked up a Sander Sound Magtech amp which seems to be an amazing amp, perfect for the 1.7s.

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp

How is the new LS 100 comparing with the tube rectified SWL 9.0?
I realize we would be talking about twice the $s for a LS 100 vs a used SWL 9.0, so I would love to hear from the guys that have upgraded
to the new 100.

bummrush

Re: New preamp for Maggie 1.7 system?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2011, 04:38 pm »
That Sanderssound stuff is cream of the crop and people pay thousands more then what this guys charges it would be funny if it wasn't true.

HPower

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:06 pm »
Hey bummrush,

You are correct, Sir!.

I feel Roger's gear is outstanding value... power, and great sound.
For that mater I think his preamp would be obviously a great match but I think I would like to have some tube signature into the system.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:53 pm »
I owned a 9.0 sig and then got an LS-100 and I like everything about the LS-100.  I like that it uses 6SN7s which are great sounding tubes.  It also has the ability to add a DAC or phono pre in the expansion slot.  It is really a beautiful unit.  And the remote has more functions, which is nice.

HPower

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:22 pm »
Hi dminches,

In reading the 6Moons review it sounded like Srajan also like the use of the 6SN7 and after having that tube in my previous integrated amp, I kind of agree with you and Srajan...
Can you say, Shuguang Black Treasures CV181Z.

What amplifier and speakers are you using your LS 100 with.
Do you feel the LS 100 has a bit more of a tube sound vs. your SWL?

I guess I am hoping for maybe a bit more richness but do not want to get to far away from the punch, air and detail that the Maggies are excelling in.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:48 pm »
Given that it uses 6SN7s I think you can really tailor the sound to your liking.  If you want a more tubey sound then you may want to use Tungsol black glass round plates which I am using.  You have much more flexibility with that tube type.

I am using a Modwright KWA-150 and Vandersteen 5As.  My main source is vinyl so you can see the type of sound I like.

Audioclyde

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:52 pm »
I never had the 9.0, but I've had the LS100 driving a Mastersound 845 amp and Daedalus DA-RMa spkrs for a couple of months now and absolutely love it. It betters tuned pres from BAT and Sonic Frontiers that I've owned in the past.

Randy

HPower

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:08 pm »
Given that it uses 6SN7s I think you can really tailor the sound to your liking.  If you want a more tubey sound then you may want to use Tungsol black glass round plates which I am using.  You have much more flexibility with that tube type.

I am using a Modwright KWA-150 and Vandersteen 5As.  My main source is vinyl so you can see the type of sound I like.

I never had the 9.0, but I've had the LS100 driving a Mastersound 845 amp and Daedalus DA-RMa spkrs for a couple of months now and absolutely love it. It betters tuned pres from BAT and Sonic Frontiers that I've owned in the past.

Randy

Guys, those sound like very musical system the you both have put together!!!

2 other machines that where on my short list are the Cary SPL-98 and either the ARC LS17 or LS25.
From reviews that I have read, the Cary may lean stronger on the tubey side of things, while the ARC preamps are tilted to almost a SS presentation.

I think I would prefer something in the middle, and hopefully that is where the LS100 would be?

Audioclyde

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2011, 07:03 pm »
HPower,

I haven't heard the Cary but from the ARC's I've heard and what I've read about the Cary, I think you are likely correct.  Plus, my experience tells me that you can significantly shape your tone as desired with different 6sn7's in the LS 100. My grey glass RCA's make it too tubey for my taste, while the stock tubes (TS reissues as I recall) were too lean for me.

In other words, it responds well to tube rolling

Randy

HPower

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:58 am »
Thanks for all the great suggestions, there are so many options and combinations in this hobby, no wonder it can be both, fun... and frustrating.

Initially I was really leaning towards one of the ARC as I have always wanted to try one of their products but I kept wondering if the ARC would be a bit to lean and neutral with my Magtech.

Drum roll please...

Today I firmed up my order for a new Modwright LS100.
It seems Dan has another very popular model on his hands, my new LS100 will not be scheduled to come off the bench and ship until April 18th...
Just heard from my dealer, the tentative build date is April 11th.

So much for instant gratification on this purchase!  :roll:

I hope the wait will be worth it.